• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I had a 2nd gen glock 22, and the recoil didn't seem violent to me. Decent amount of muzzle flip though. IMO.

However what got me to want to get rid of mine was i saw this nasty bulge developing on the side of the frame. On the right side if i recall, and remembering about hearing about the so called KB incidents I didn't feel all that comfortable with it anymore.:runaway:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    No stove piping to say or mis-feeds. :-)

Not sure why I hurt when I shoot the Glock. The only reason why I purchased it is due to the fact that the LEO academy Im going into requires you to train with the G22. :-(

Not going to be fun...

Could I have too firm of a grip on the glock?
    It's hard to say. I would say that your grip is too loose vs. too tight. The only thing that could cause such pain would be your wrist moving in a way that's causing that pain. Have you ever had a wrist injury that might cause a nerve to be pinched or something?

I'm just taking total stabs in the dark here... for the life of me I can't figure out why the perceived recoil would be so bad for you.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    165Gr, 180 Gr or 155Gr? The only 40 cal Glock that I find a little uncomfortable is the G27. My P229 and USPC 40 are a little snappy ( high bore axis) but no more than a G22 or G23. The 329PD 44mag I shot a few year back had the most violent recoil of any handgun i have ever shot.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I think the 40 is almost the same frame as my 17, and the 17 is light as heck. I have shot my 17, a g30 .45, and a compact 40(idk the number). My favorite was my friend's g30, and I was most accurate with it. It is signifigantly heavier than the 17 and the 40 I shot. the g17 is a bit nasty, the 40 is uncontrollable to me, with only 100rds through. If given the choice between the 40 and 45 in a glock, the next one i get will be a 45

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    It's interesting to see how people perceive recoil. The G17 has always felt like shooting a .22 pistol to me, and the G22 never felt that bad. And of course the .45 is so soft-shooting it's not funny.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Update:

I removed the slide and did an inspection this weekend.

To my horror there are little bits of recoil spring every where.

The spring is still intact, but there are little gray flakes all over the bottom side of the barrel, the slide, and even the frame.

Would this be an indication that the recoil spring has gone ka-put?

For what its worth, the only thing that has ever been shot through this G22 is Winchester FMJ white box.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    that gray flake stuff is normal.. it happend to my Glock 22 for the first 1000 rounds or so.. theres nothing wrong with the spring.. did you say this was a new or used gun?

GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    In my experience with the Glock 22 Gen 2 pistol, it may be a tad bit "snappier" than a 9mm but is very controllable. The .45 to me has more of an "umph" feel in comparison to the .40. I would check your grip and stance while you shoot. Maybe you just aren't used to it yet? In my experience, I loved the 22 I shot.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Wow, You might've come close to setting the record for a thread revival with this one. :popcorn:

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Necro thread! But I'll contribute. When I shot it (22 gen 4) my thumb region was sore for a few days. It was fun to shoot though.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just picked up a Gen 3 G22 last week and shot it for the first time this weekend. I was actually expecting alot more recoil than what I experienced. Have shot a .40 before, and just figured that the Glock would have more recoil for being a light gun. But was very pleased with the recoil. Only problem I had was shooting low and left from about 20 yds. Probably me, but will only tell with time. And fyi, shot about 150 rounds with no problems whatsoever.

jreeder108

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    NWI
    I used to have a G22. It was actually the 1st glock I fired. The recoil was not bad, however there is a lot more muzzle flip rather than the "push" you get from a .45. I now have a G21 SF. I shoot amazingly better with the G21. Both are fine choices and in my opinion you cannot go wrong with a glock, but I would not buy another .40 cal after having shot .45 and 9mm glocks.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Grip angle contribute to less recoil than you would have otherwise. I've shot plenty of g27/22's and I have my second 35, .40 isn't that bad. violent isn't what I would call it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sounds like you need to meet up with someone else with a Glock 22 and shoot it to see if it is the same. Or let him shoot yours to see if there is any difference.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Gen 4? why I ask is thats the only glock that I have that shoots left (Glock 22). I had to adjust the sights to get it back into center. I never had to do that to any of my glocks which I have one-two in every caliber glock makes available in the states. I had a lot of recoil spring problems in the start until they did the recall. All I can say is practice with it and it should get better.

Top Bottom