• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Brand new. I haven't put many rounds through it, and those I have have been divided between 2 mags, so neither of these has seen much use.
    I just went through 20 or so 43 mags some used, some new, NONE had any gouges on the follower. Hav you used reloads by any chance? Or really cheap ammo? Bad brass could explain the gouges? I'm gonna guess you've diagnosed your own problem with the mags.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I just went through 20 or so 43 mags some used, some new, NONE had any gouges on the follower. Hav you used reloads by any chance? Or really cheap ammo? Bad brass could explain the gouges? I'm gonna guess you've diagnosed your own problem with the mags.

Nothing like that. I've never used anything but factory ammo. Mostly Winchester white box and that yellow box stuff that Remington makes (UMC or something). The stuff you get in Cabelas.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It appears as if something was digging into the follower, my first guess would be sub par factory ammo, or reloaded ammo with suspect brass. It appears like the case mouth is doing the digging, but if you bought it new, and don't have many rounds through it?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I've got some small divots in the 2 I just checked, not as pronounced as what he is seeing. Let me check my other mags and update.

Update: I just checked 8 or so mags and they all have some kind of drag mark with a hint of a divot there. Some more than others, but then some have seen more rounds than others.
    I must admit my 43's haven't seen near as much shooting as they have carry, but I do see some marks there.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've got some small divots in the 2 I just checked, not as pronounced as what he is seeing. Let me check my other mags and update.
    Now you've got me wondering, I just downloaded all of my 43 mags to check. Out of 31, I have small divots in 2, looks the same as his only smaller. It really appears to me that the case mouth may be dragging or have a burr? All my ammo is factory PPU, Aguilla, Fiochii, Winchester NATO, all 124gr, and the aforementioned Speer and Hornady HPs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Quick google search turned up one guy on Arfcom having the gouging with 147's, but nothing other than that? I've never run 147s through my 43?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Edit...I also just noticed something weird: both magazines have a little dip gouged into the follower. ...

All of my used G43 mags have the same dimple in the follower.

Two never used G43 mags are smooth with no dimple.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Going to abuse mine after work today, will use all three mags I have with it, however, I have had no issues with any so far, FMJ or JHP.
    If your close to INDY, lets take it to the range and shoot it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just checked mine, all five factory mags have the dimple. Wouldn't have noticed, if not for this thread. Didn't check the dozen ETS mags.

On another note, anyone know a reasonable and relatively quick source for a couple of OWB kydex double mag carriers? I'd like to run my G43 in USPSA matches, shooting production division.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Took my G-43 to the range yesterday afternoon, three mags all of which have the circular wear mark (divot) on the followers, do you notice where the mark is? I believe when you load or reload the first round into you magazine, the bottom edge of that first round digs in to the plastic as your loading, pushing it back causes the mark.
    100 rounds of 147 gr FMJ Speer TC, and fifty rounds of 147 gr Federal HST, no hiccups at all, nix, nein, nada, nothing.
    I did have a great time shooting the pistol and when I went to clean it noticed my feed ramp was still showing no type of wear mark(s), I think I will leave it un polished for the time being.

Mine has a ZED SN# prefix.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Took my G-43 to the range yesterday afternoon, three mags all of which have the circular wear mark (divot) on the followers, do you notice where the mark is? I believe when you load or reload the first round into you magazine, the bottom edge of that first round digs in to the plastic as your loading, pushing it back causes the mark.
    100 rounds of 147 gr FMJ Speer TC, and fifty rounds of 147 gr Federal HST, no hiccups at all, nix, nein, nada, nothing.
    I did have a great time shooting the pistol and when I went to clean it noticed my feed ramp was still showing no type of wear mark(s), I think I will leave it un polished for the time being.

Mine has a ZED SN# prefix.

I did consider that the wear mark might be from pushing the first round in, but I took a closer look at how I do that, and I usually put the rim back further. So I think this mark is caused by the round on it's way out. I could be wrong though.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Buy a S&W Sheild !

I hate to be that guy but I really don't think the Glock design works well when you get smaller than the 19 ?
    There has to be a reason it took Glock so long to "invent" the 43!
    The 43 and 42 both require a very firm grip and still aren't 100%!

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Buy a S&W Sheild !

I hate to be that guy but I really don't think the Glock design works well when you get smaller than the 19 ?
    There has to be a reason it took Glock so long to "invent" the 43!
    The 43 and 42 both require a very firm grip and still aren't 100%!

It was a coin flip between these 2 when I bought it. The place I bought it only had the manual safety version of the Shield, so that helped me make up my mind. It's funny how this works though - before I bought it, I read countless threads and watched lots of videos, and couldn't find bad word being said about it. But now that I have a problem, it turns out lots of people are reporting problems...I must have filtered out all the bad stuff I heard before lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was a coin flip between these 2 when I bought it. The place I bought it only had the manual safety version of the Shield, so that helped me make up my mind. It's funny how this works though - before I bought it, I read countless threads and watched lots of videos, and couldn't find bad word being said about it. But now that I have a problem, it turns out lots of people are reporting problems...I must have filtered out all the bad stuff I heard before lol.

Wait.....what.......a Glock will not feed.

Sorry folks I just had to. All the grief I get the opportunity is rare so I took it.....:):

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wait.....what.......a Glock will not feed.

Sorry folks I just had to. All the grief I get the opportunity is rare so I took it.....:):
    Less Glocks than 1911's the budget market on 1911's is considerably bigger than the budget Glock market. But hey, 100 years from now, some whipper snapper will be telling me the same thing about my Glocks!:dunno:

Top Bottom