• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    View attachment 60298

Ok break down How that's not a single stack magazine?

BTW the Sheild is like the "Cookie Monster" of single stacks!

I like Glocks I don't own one it just seems when the size drops below the 19 problems start?

Look at it closely. The cartridges are ever so slightly staggered in a Shield magazine. It's how they can basically fit one more round into the flush fit magazine and 8 into the extended mag compared to a Glock 43 or Walter PPS. By contrast my PPS magazine is thinner with the 8 round magazine being slightly longer. When you stack 9mm one atop another they begin to nose down after 9-10 rounds. This is the reason that 9mm 1911s with 10 round magazines get tricky and some patience and experimentation is in order.

I agree with you that the Shield is a very good design. It is also slightly larger then the Glock 43.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    View attachment 60298

Ok break down How that's not a single stack magazine?

BTW the Sheild is like the "Cookie Monster" of single stacks!

I like Glocks I don't own one it just seems when the size drops below the 19 problems start?

FWIW, I've never had an issue with my 26, nor my 43 (I do concede I have shot my 43 less than my 26, and that I have stuck with 124 grain HST's and some other Federal 115 grain JHPs for defense in the 43 though. Various loadings of FMJ for just range practice, after making sure the defense loads would run).

So I've never handled a Shield, but looking at that mag picture, looks like the mag tapers down to single, but does it somehow offset stack the rounds in the body of the mag, hence why it's wider toward the middle to bottom of the mag?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ah I see what you mean! Slightly staggered learned something new today!

My shield eats everything with very mild recoil.
    It just seems that most of the problems you hear from Glocks are the smaller models.
    Still better than most what's that Remington thing they tried to sell?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have never had any problems with my G26. And I have shot all sorts of different ammo thru it. It’s a GREAT reliable carry gun. Especially with a spare G19 magazine :)

I haven’t shot my G43 enough to know how reliable it is.

Oh! I also want a Shield.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My G43 rides with HST 147's and the wife's shield rides with winchester supreme 147's, both of our examples have digested anything/everything without a hiccup. And both are very shootable IMO.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Look at it closely. The cartridges are ever so slightly staggered in a Shield magazine. It's how they can basically fit one more round into the flush fit magazine and 8 into the extended mag compared to a Glock 43 or Walter PPS. By contrast my PPS magazine is thinner with the 8 round magazine being slightly longer. When you stack 9mm one atop another they begin to nose down after 9-10 rounds. This is the reason that 9mm 1911s with 10 round magazines get tricky and some patience and experimentation is in order.

I agree with you that the Shield is a very good design. It is also slightly larger then the Glock 43.

Agreed, to me the shield and G43 feel totally different, but both carry very nicely.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Shot 150 rounds of 147gr HST and 200 rounds of 147gr federal ball ammo today out my two Glock 43’s. Both ran great. I have 9 mags for the 43’s a few have a slight mark on the follower. Not sure if hydra-shok and HST have different profiles.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Shot 150 rounds of 147gr HST and 200 rounds of 147gr federal ball ammo today out my two Glock 43’s. Both ran great. I have 9 mags for the 43’s a few have a slight mark on the follower. Not sure if hydra-shok and HST have different profiles.

Thanks for the info!

I have found out a little more myself:

This guy was having a very similar issue with a G42:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQ2-1Sznzk&t=1s

When I saw that his problem is caused by pressure on the mag, I had another look at my own problem. I had already noticed that the issue happens to me more with one mag than the other. The one it happens with the most is the one with the finger extension. The mags have some play when inserted, and I have found that by putting pressure on the mag with my pinky I can induce the failure almost every time. I can do it with the other mag too, it's just much harder and would never happen by accident because there's no place to naturally rest your pinky. So I think this is the direct cause of the issue. Even so, I can still only get it to happen with the 147gr HS. The 124 has the same length, same bullet profile, but works flawlessly. The only difference I can find is the wider rim on the 147gr.

So if I'm right about the pressure on the mag causing the issue, is that a user error? Should I be able to put my finger on the extension? The guy in the video "solved" it by putting some electrical tape inside the grip at the rear to stop the magazine from moving backwards. Needless to say, I don't want to have to do that to make the gun reliable.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the info!

When I saw that his problem is caused by pressure on the mag, I had another look at my own problem. I had already noticed that the issue happens to me more with one mag than the other. The one it happens with the most is the one with the finger extension. The mags have some play when inserted, and I have found that by putting pressure on the mag with my pinky I can induce the failure almost every time. I can do it with the other mag too, it's just much harder and would never happen by accident because there's no place to naturally rest your pinky. So I think this is the direct cause of the issue. Even so, I can still only get it to happen with the 147gr HS. The 124 has the same length, same bullet profile, but works flawlessly. The only difference I can find is the wider rim on the 147gr.

So if I'm right about the pressure on the mag causing the issue, is that a user error? Should I be able to put my finger on the extension? The guy in the video "solved" it by putting some electrical tape inside the grip at the rear to stop the magazine from moving backwards. Needless to say, I don't want to have to do that to make the gun reliable.

Or you can 1) just not carry 147 grain hydrashok 2) remove the pinky extension 3) both remove the pinky extension and switch to 124 grain bullets.

edit: This makes me remember a time when I owned a small boat with a 15 hp outboard motor. Silly thing ran great!!! But it did not like E10 gas that had alcohol in it. But ran great with 90+ octane alcohol free fuel. I am sure a boat motor mechanic could have got it to run OK with any fuel.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info!

Sounds to me like a lot of variables and tolerance items stacking together. Combination of the profile of the specific bullet/case, pressure on the mag changing the angle slightly, etc.

Honestly, I'd just run a different ammo, or remove the floor plate. Running a different ammo (obviously still a highly performing JHP) that proves itself reliable 100% would be my preferred choice, just to avoid that part of the equation all together.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds to me like a lot of variables and tolerance items stacking together. Combination of the profile of the specific bullet/case, pressure on the mag changing the angle slightly, etc.

Honestly, I'd just run a different ammo, or remove the floor plate. Running a different ammo (obviously still a highly performing JHP) that proves itself reliable 100% would be my preferred choice, just to avoid that part of the equation all together.

Hey guys......he wants it to eat it all. Vert and you both hit the nail on the head.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I hope you get it all sorted out, as your Glock should run fine like mine with whatever you feed and carry in it.
    Face to face in a dangerous life threatening shoot out is no place for discovery.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I hope you get it all sorted out, as your Glock should run fine like mine with whatever you feed and carry in it.
    Face to face in a dangerous life threatening shoot out is no place for discovery.

I spoke to Glock again since I discovered the connection with gripping the pinky extension. They said I should "be mindful" of gripping it too tight. I'm not sure how they expect me to think of that if someone is trying to kill me. But they did say they'd be happy to take a look at the mags and replace them if necessary. I just went out and bought a new one to test with. Same issue. So I doubt there is any point in sending them to Glock.

Oddly, it is getting harder and harder to reproduce the problem. It's gone from up to 80% of the time down to less than 10%. I'm not sure if somehow things are just breaking in, or if it's just that all my 147gr rounds are getting their noses streamlined form repeated chambering. I'll have to buy some more and see. After that, I don't know what else I can do except send the gun back to Glock.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Don't squeeze the Glock!

I only really only carry Hornady "Critical Duty" seems to feed as good as FMJ in everything except in my S&W M19.

Does Federal HST have an advantage over any other HP? It looks like a flying ashtray to me.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Plot thickens: it's not just my G43!

I was at the range and they had a G43 among their rental guns. It had the pinky extension mag so I thought it would be interesting to see how it compares to mine with this problem. I loaded up a mag with 147gr HS, gripped the gun with a full grip and racked the slide - and it hung up on the first round. So I tried again, and again - same thing. Then I tried with the 2 finger grip, and it worked just fine. Exactly the same issue as mine. This was with their magazine. I noticed that their mag was a tighter fit but it clearly made no difference. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know if I want to own a gun that doesn't feed common off-the-shelf ammunition by design. I will give Glock another call now that I know it's not just my gun that's the problem and see what they say.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was at the range and they had a G43 among their rental guns. It had the pinky extension mag so I thought it would be interesting to see how it compares to mine with this problem. I loaded up a mag with 147gr HS, gripped the gun with a full grip and racked the slide - and it hung up on the first round. So I tried again, and again - same thing. Then I tried with the 2 finger grip, and it worked just fine. Exactly the same issue as mine. This was with their magazine. I noticed that their mag was a tighter fit but it clearly made no difference. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't know if I want to own a gun that doesn't feed common off-the-shelf ammunition by design. I will give Glock another call now that I know it's not just my gun that's the problem and see what they say.

Remove the pinky extension and/or change ammunition. I know people claim that their gun "eats everything". In my experience that is simply not true. At least when talking about subcompacts, .380s, 1911s, CZs, Walthers, old HiPowers, anything made in South America or China..............................................................

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't have the factory pinky mag. Did just verify both of my G43's feeding 147gr HST's with a Taran Tactical +1 and Vickers +2 extension. They fed w/o issue.

I don't care for the feel of the Vickers +2 extension. I'd happily trade it or a TT +2 for another TT +1. :ingo:

Top Bottom