• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I everyone, im looking for a new handgun.
    I know that I want a Glock and I want it to be a 9mm.
    Now you have the model 26, 19 and 17. :dunno:

I looked at the 17 for a long time, I thought that it would be a good range gun as its the longest.I also like that its the "original" Glock but its too big for me to carry.
    Then I figured I would be better with a small gun for concealed carry so I looked at the 26.
    I later found out that in a IWB hoslter there is not much difference bewteen the 26 and the 19.
    I like the bigger grip and greater capacity of the 19 over the 26.
    The most important dimension for a carry gun IMO is how thin the gun is and the three guns have the same thinness.
    The 19 looks like the best gun with the best of the two other models.
    It compact enough to be concealed carry and still a full size pistol (used as a sidearm by some LEAs).

So I have some questions for all the people out there who own one of those guns, or two or all of them.

Is the Glock 19 small enough for CC?
    How about recoil, any difference between the three?
    What do you think would be the best all around gun if you could only buy one of the three for both range gun, home defense gun and carry gun?

glock_17_19_26.jpg

I would like to have the whole family when I get more (any) money but for now I need one.Which one would you pick and why? :dunno:

Thanks! :yesway:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I like the G19 the best, cause it holds 15 + 1 rounds, compact enough to carry, plenty of grip to hold on, & you can still target shoot it, long enough barrel to still have decent velocity for knock down power

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Hey! Where's the love for the G17L and G33? Don't leave out the 9mm stepchildren of Gaston's family.
    To answer your questions.

YES, many cc the G19

I percieve NO difference in recoil, keep in mind you won't get all your fingers on the '26 grip.

I believe the "best" all around 9mm would be the G19; a bit larger than the '26, the trade off is the '19 comes with an accessory rail so lights, lasers, and reddots(add a carver Mount) can option out your pistol.

Listen, if you want a Glock, join GSSF thru Ed's over in Va or somewhere?
    (check GSSF Website) Membership is like 35$, a g-19 is about 425$ with 3 mags, shipping is 10$, plus you get the magazine, hat, a sticker and can go shoot in their GSSF Shoots- it's a good deal.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Don't think the 17 is too big to carry; you would be honestly surprised at what the right holster and belt can do for you. The right shirt selection and I can carry my Glock 21 OWB and only print in the slightest. Going IWB and you could probably carry a Desert Eagle provided you had enough belt to keep your pants up! The greatest difference is between the 26 and 17 (obviously) but the 19 is only about 1/2-5/8" shorter on the barrel and grip and that shouldn't make your or break you in the case of carrying concealed. The 19 is an almost perfect combination of size, capacity and weight, but if you can carry the 19 then the 17 shouldn't be that much more difficult.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    My first gun was a 17 and I carried it concealed for about 7 months and didn't have a lot of issues. It printed occasionally, but not really anything that caused people to notice. I recently purchased the 19 and the difference is amazing. It's just small enough to conceal perfectly but still large enough to have a good capacity and handle very well. As others have said, I feel no difference in the recoil between the 17 or the 19.

I would go with the 19 for carry.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    There is no wrong choice here..............any one of the three will do you well...it's not a question of which one.....it's which one first.:dunno:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well, you'll need at least two pistols. Get the G19 and the G26. When you dual wield, keep the G26 in your off hand so you'll only get -4/-8 penalties to your attacks.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    I carry a G23, which is the same size as the 19, every day with no problems. I'd go with the 19 if you're set on 9mm and will be using it for EDC.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I had a 19 for years and thought it was the perfect gun. Once my dad got a 17 I tried it and realized I shot it much better. I traded my 19 for a Gen 2 17 (as the finger grooves don't work well. When I draw my fingers end up on the points) and have carried it every since. Pick what you shoot the best, then learn to carry it. People don't notice. Get a crossbreed supertuck or similar and the 17 disappears like anything else. It's only 1/2" different than the 19, but you may shoot it much better.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...The most important dimension for a carry gun IMO is how thin the gun is and the three guns have the same thinness.
    Is the Glock 19 small enough for CC?
    ..What do you think would be the best all around gun if you could only buy one of the three for both range gun, home defense gun and carry gun?

For me, the most important dimension is grip length (I'm fine with most thicknesses and lengths within reasonable limits). It's the grip that sticks out above the belt, and it's the grip that bangs into chairs, etc. if it's too long on the hip.

Yes, the G19 is a great cc pistol. Short enough grip to work in most situations, yet long enough for a full hand grip.

IMHO, the G19 is the best all around gun of the 3. I rarely carry the G17 due to it's grip length, but the G19 accepts G17 mags, so there's really no reason to carry the G17 (as far as capacity is concerned anyway). As you point out, the G26 is just as thick, and I don't need/like a grip that short, so. for me, there's no reason for me to carry one.

Different folks have different needs and preferences.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I don't own a 17 (I would like to though) but I have the 19 and the 26. Love them both but the 26 is an amazing carry gun and you can run longer mags if you like. That said, I have carried the 19 and it doesnt feel too big for CC.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I went with a 17 and while I love it, I ended up buying a used 19 several months later. The compact 19 allows for CCW & isn't too small. It also makes an excellent introductory firearm for any friends or family to learn on. I vote Glock 19

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    picture.php

Here is a picture of my G26 on top of a 19 on top of a 34. Even with the 2 round mag extension the 26 grip is smaller than the 19's. It is my experience that it is the grip that will print or be uncomfortable.
    Having said that I carry both the 26 and 19. The 19 is fine, the 26 is better for deep carry. If I want really deep carry I will use the 26 without the extended mag.

Top Bottom