• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    [STRIKE]Does anyone near the west side of Indy have an angled and straight Glock rear sight pusher I can borrow to do this?[/STRIKE]

Looks like I've got this handled after all.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just used a nylon punch for future reference

Thanks, but I don't want to hammer on this rear sight due to its tritium vials.

tbhausen is wise. Night sights handle the stress of moving forward and back well. Hammering on the sight from the side to move it in the dovetail can (I said can, not "will") very easily break the vials. You might not notice it right away if you break, but eventually the water will leak out of them and they'll be inert. If you have gotten away with doing it, good for you, but it's not a great idea. Night sights need sight pushers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Got back from the range where I finally shot a Glock. Not a gen 5 but a 34. I liked it but I've decided that I'm going to stick with what I have. I think I'll focus on one gun for a season, then maybe the other the following season.

Bottom line: I need to practice to get better, not buy the latest greatest.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I touched a G19 Gen 5 at Fort Liberty in Avon today (they also had a G17 Gen 5 in the case). I liked the trigger, Gen 4 mag release, NO FINGER GROOVES, flared mag well, and orange follower in the mag. I'm not a fan of the cut-out at the bottom of the grip (solution in search of a problem?) I did not come home and grab my low round count Gen 3 to talk trade, nor did I inquire about the Blue Label price ($549 on the one I saw, $20 more than the Gen 4, I'd guess $469-$489ish on Blue Label)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I touched a G19 Gen 5 at Fort Liberty in Avon today (they also had a G17 Gen 5 in the case). I liked the trigger, Gen 4 mag release, NO FINGER GROOVES, flared mag well, and orange follower in the mag. I'm not a fan of the cut-out at the bottom of the grip (solution in search of a problem?) I did not come home and grab my low round count Gen 3 to talk trade, nor did I inquire about the Blue Label price ($549 on the one I saw, $20 more than the Gen 4, I'd guess $469-$489ish on Blue Label)

Ouch those prices are about $100 more than buying a Blue Label from a LE Dealer...

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    This probably belongs in the accessories section, but, they're on a Glock Gen 5, right?

These sights are... different. They're going to take some getting used to. Despite a .140" wide front, there's quite a light gap on both sides when the sights are aligned. There also isn't much black around that bright yellow ring. In retrospect, that may be the reason many prefer orange, especially on the narrower .125" wide FBI front sight. Having a mostly black rear sight (no dots) is a new thing for me. I understand the philosophy about getting that front on target quickly, and having a non-distracting rear. In other words, these aren't target sights--not even close. They're built for speed, not bullseye shooting. It's going to take practice to get really good with them.

I shot these to try to show what the front and rear sight look like separately in detail, and what the aligned sight picture looks like. The gap represented appears a bit too wide because my iPhone was a bit closer than a shooter's eye, but it does give a good representation.

IMG_1019 pse.jpg IMG_1021 pse.jpg IMG_1025 pse.jpg

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Spent some time modding one of my SCDs to fit the gen 5 G19. Going to take it to the range on Tuesday and see if I can warm up to it a little more, and if so will start actually carrying it.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I ran my Gen 5 G19 at the Defensive Concepts Level 1 & 2 training course at Riley Conservation Club this weekend (thanks Coach and Behind Blue I's). On Friday I installed Trijicon HD XR night sights (orange dot/tritium fron sight, tritium rear u-notch sight) in preparation for the class. I am VERY pleased with this set up. The G19 Gen 5 ran flawlessly for the entire +/- 500 rounds we shot in class. The flared magwell made mag changes easy, I really like the new trigger and feel that I get much quicker second/third shots with it. I would highly recommend this sight set up. Actually....I am in the process of ordering these sights for my G43 and G17 HD gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I ran my Gen 5 G19 at the Defensive Concepts Level 1 & 2 training course at Riley Conservation Club this weekend (thanks Coach and Behind Blue I's). On Friday I installed Trijicon HD XR night sights (orange dot/tritium fron sight, tritium rear u-notch sight) in preparation for the class. I am VERY pleased with this set up. The G19 Gen 5 ran flawlessly for the entire +/- 500 rounds we shot in class. The flared magwell made mag changes easy, I really like the new trigger and feel that I get much quicker second/third shots with it. I would highly recommend this sight set up. Actually....I am in the process of ordering these sights for my G43 and G17 HD gun.

Thanks for the report, I need to look into these sights they sound pretty awesome!

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Got my G17 Gen 5 with night sights last Friday. I shot it Saturday with the first 48 rounds shooting a LE qualifying course. I did qualify with it easily and was happy with how it performed. I really like the no finger grooves and the trigger. Accuracy seems to be good but to be fair I didn't shoot any other 9mm Glock in comparison. I did shoot it better than my G22 so I was satisfied.

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Got my new G19 back out to the range. Groups improved, but the factory night sights shoot to the dot instead of to the top edge of the front sight. Not thrilled about that. Still making much tighter groups with my gen 3.

Also got a jam I've never had before - click on loaded chamber and then the slide would not retract no matter how hard I tried. Ended up having to thump the muzzle down on the bench to free it up. No obstructions or obvious explanations. Weird.

Top Bottom