• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I watched that earlier, Tim's not a fan of the "changes" for sure. I'm not sure what it would have taken Glock to bring back the Gen 2, add the Gen 4 texturing and recoil spring, and call it a 5 without re doing it all like they did but I am guessing it was more of a hassle. To each their own, Glock's still aren't for everyone, nor CZ's, nor 1911's, whatever you want to use.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lotta prolific YouTubers posting up Gen 5 vids now:

[video=youtube;Y_q6juMrNlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q6juMrNlM[/video]

[video=youtube;JZ9ixWAs9PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9ixWAs9PE[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lotta prolific YouTubers posting up Gen 5 vids now:

[video=youtube;Y_q6juMrNlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_q6juMrNlM[/video]

[video=youtube;JZ9ixWAs9PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9ixWAs9PE[/video]

There's one for sale in the classy's too.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Didn't a lot of people find fault with the gen 4 Glocks when they debuted as well?

Yep.

Now the Gen 4 is much better than the Gen 5. But when the Gen 4 was new, the Gen 3 was much better. And when the Gen 3 was new, the Gen 2 was much better. Seems to be a trend.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Didn't a lot of people find fault with the gen 4 Glocks when they debuted as well?

Glock could release a gun with thermal imaging sights, integrated 1000 lumen light, infrared laser, belt-fed automatic reloader that would shoot around corners for $250 and some people would still be complaining about it.

Haters gonna hate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

It's very trendy to be an "expert" by finding fault with gear and equipment. Some "experts" even take to creating videos to demonstrate their "expertise" and end up demonstrating that they don't have a solid grasp on the nomenclature for some of the things they're talking about.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I find it interesting that they are many on Youtube that are complaining that Glock needs to make something "Fresh and New". The Gen 5 did not go far enough. But many of those very same people are also griping about how the Gen 5 is not completely backwards compatible and you can't just drop in older generation parts now.

How can you get something that is "Fresh and New" while at the same time being backwards compatible with all the older generations. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth and is dishonest.

And I have yet to see anyone explain what "Fresh and New" means. Chassis system? That would not be good enough, that would be copying Sig. Making parts thicker, heavier, more durable...or...making a better trigger? That would not be good enough, that would be copying CZ.

It seems that those people are more interested in creating a click bait video and not an honest review.

No matter what Glock does, people will gripe about it. People gripe about the Glock fanboys, but the anti Glock crowd is equally as bad. It get's old real fast.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I find it interesting that they are many on Youtube that are complaining that Glock needs to make something "Fresh and New". The Gen 5 did not go far enough. But many of those very same people are also griping about how the Gen 5 is not completely backwards compatible and you can't just drop in older generation parts now.

How can you get something that is "Fresh and New" while at the same time being backwards compatible with all the older generations. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth and is dishonest.

And I have yet to see anyone explain what "Fresh and New" means. Chassis system? That would not be good enough, that would be copying Sig. Making parts thicker, heavier, more durable...or...making a better trigger? That would not be good enough, that would be copying CZ.

It seems that those people are more interested in creating a click bait video and not an honest review.

No matter what Glock does, people will gripe about it. People gripe about the Glock fanboys, but the anti Glock crowd is equally as bad. It get's old real fast.

Agreed. There's a reason Glock has held the position it has for as long as it has. Significant departures from what has earned the company billions of dollars of the past 30 years would be a foolish endeavor to say the least. Many who insist on commenting about Glocks would be better off buying something else but they can't seem to help themselves from spouting off about how professional they are.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Glock puts 20+ changes in the gen 5 and people still say it's like something else or not different enough, or whatever... :dunno:
    I think it's great, a home run. My 19 is very accurate and I've owned many many many Glocks over the years so I know what I'm talking about.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Love my Gen5 G19. I have little use for ANY "expert" opinion regarding the gun, all I need is range time. I would say that the Gen5 is their best generation yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I watched Mac's video and I think he was pretty much right. Maybe spot on. He says over and over that it's a great gun. He says over and over that there's nothing wrong with it. His issue is that he does not think there are enough changes to qualify as a "Gen 5" as compared to a warmed over amalgam of previous Gen models. His big issue with it is that they've stopped innovating and are just tweaking guns that are already great. I'm not knocking the Gen 5 and would probably plunk cash down for a G23 should they make one (they won't). His issue is more around how little they actually change a Glock between gens. To be honest, they were pretty darned reliable since the get go. The Gen 5 does not change that (hopefully). The previous finishes were pretty darn good for a while now. I've had zero issues with the finish on any of the Gen 3s I have. The finger grooves are not innovation, nor is flaring the mag well. Some will love that others will hate that. Changes internally may give a better trigger pull, but with a bit of polish and $25 in a ZEV kit, I got a pretty good trigger on my Gen 3s. The previous generations were amazingly reliable, so the internal changes really bring nothing to the table in that area that he noted.

Again, not knocking the Gen 5s as they are great pistols, he was just pointing out that they were great pistols before and the Gen 5 really is not bringing any innovation to Glock users.

Top Bottom