• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Hard to perfect perfection.
    It's like trying to make a better mouse trap.
    Changing ergos, colors, and features is about all they got to play with, and that's not a bad thing.
    How many companies would like to have that problem?? (all of them)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hard to perfect perfection.
    It's like trying to make a better mouse trap.
    Changing ergos, colors, and features is about all they got to play with, and that's not a bad thing.
    How many companies would like to have that problem?? (all of them)

That's true. It would be nice to see them do something interesting, like maybe a carbine or a new approach to a HD long arm. I'm sure they could come up with a new idea in a folding stock long arm.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't agree with MAC's video. I don't know what people expect Glock to do. Perhaps making a Glock labeled M&P or a Glock labeled XD would qualify as a new generation? There are quite easily enough significant changes to the Gen 5 for it to qualify as a new generation of pistol.

It doesn't matter what Glock does, there will be no shortage of people standing in line to ***** about it. They could release a new rifle the likes of which has never been dreamed of, it could go 200,000 rounds without cleaning or lubrication, be .1MOA accurate and quickly change between any of a dozen calibers and people will ***** because it isn't an AR15. I'm sure the folks at Glock are choking on their tears as they count the millions upon millions of dollars they made within days of releasing the best pistol they've produced to date.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't agree with MAC's video. I don't know what people expect Glock to do. Perhaps making a Glock labeled M&P or a Glock labeled XD would qualify as a new generation? There are quite easily enough significant changes to the Gen 5 for it to qualify as a new generation of pistol.

It doesn't matter what Glock does, there will be no shortage of people standing in line to ***** about it. They could release a new rifle the likes of which has never been dreamed of, it could go 200,000 rounds without cleaning or lubrication, be .1MOA accurate and quickly change between any of a dozen calibers and people will ***** because it isn't an AR15. I'm sure the folks at Glock are choking on their tears as they count the millions upon millions of dollars they made within days of releasing the best pistol they've produced to date.

Mac puts out a lot of video content. I really like guys that take the trouble do that, even those that I have to leave more than I take.

Mac wasn't real convincing in his CZ hat though.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It’s like a hammer. How much can you really do with a hammer? It’s a fairly simple tool in this day and age, when so much is known about how to build this particular kind of tool. It really comes down to the carpenter swinging it so much more than any particular aspect of its design. It’s an inexpensive (relatively speaking) combat implement, basically a commonplace tool to form a relationship with, beat up, train hard with, leave with the police if you ever have (God forbid) to actually use it for its intended purpose. There can be no argument that it’s well-suited for that purpose, with no major shortcomings. All the rest is just a bunch of hot air.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mac puts out a lot of video content. I really like guys that take the trouble do that, even those that I have to leave more than I take.

Mac wasn't real convincing in his CZ hat though.

This isn't a knock against MAC, but media in today's world in general. There's way more time to say things than there are things to say. We can either rehash time honored dead horses (is your j-frame enough? 1911 vs Glock!!!) or pick at nits. Or, we can manufacture controversy or be clowns. It's not just online, it's the 24 hour news cycles and even print media. There's very rarely anything truly new or game changing to discuss...yet you need content.

Honestly, I don't know what major modifications anyone is looking for. What's radically different about today's 1911 vs it's historical counterparts? What's different about today's P226? CZ75? Beretta 92? They are all the same guns they were decades ago, with minor tinkering. Wider caliber offerings, maybe a double stack offering for a traditional single stack or vice versa, better sights, new materials...but same basic guns. Don't even get me going on how stupid S&W is, when are they going to make a significant change to those revolvers? Nothing really new since the hand ejectors over a century ago. Guess they are asleep at the switch...

A significant number of internals don't interchange, yet it's not a new generation? Personally I like easy to identify generations of guns so there's no guessing which parts you need. I guess the same people whined when S&W used dash numbers. Oh, you changed the extractor rod thread? Does that really make it a -2? Just marketing, leave it as a -1...we can guess which extractor rod we need.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    An important thing to me is being efficient with the most likely gun I'll have in my hand if it's not mine. It sounds as if the Gen 5 isn't so different to shoot than the Gen 4's I shoot and carry? I may miss my own little nuances such as Talon grips and big orange dot sights, but likely I'll shoot it the same?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just to be clear, I wasn't bashing MAC. I understand if he wasn't impressed and he needs content, I simply disagree with him.

bwframe, the Gen5 isn't dramatically different to shoot, the differences are subtle but if you're used to shooting Gen4 pistols with stock internals you may find that you shoot the Gen5 a little better, maybe.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think MAC want to get some views and maybe subs and be a little different than most of the YouTube reviews, can't fault him for that. But I disagree with him as well and know for me the Gen5 is an improvement for sure. To each their own!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Remington came out with some new, radical designs (though even they were based on old designs). How'd that work out for them?

If Glock radically changed their pistol, I would guess that it would be like New Coke. Not a good move.

What they did it what automakers do every year. They make small changes to whet the appetite of the consumer to get them to buy a new one. Even though their current one is just fine. But they introduce some new technology or some minor upgrade(LED headlights) so the consumer wants what is new.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Remington came out with some new, radical designs (though even they were based on old designs). How'd that work out for them?

If Glock radically changed their pistol, I would guess that it would be like New Coke. Not a good move.

What they did it what automakers do every year. They make small changes to whet the appetite of the consumer to get them to buy a new one. Even though their current one is just fine. But they introduce some new technology or some minor upgrade(LED headlights) so the consumer wants what is new.

Agreed^^^

Marketing at its best.....

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Whether or not Gen 5 is "enough" different, I am still ambivalent about it.
    My biggest gripe is that in the 450ish rounds I have run through it, when I shoot it side by side with my Gen 3 I personally don't shoot it as well. Or rather, it is not as easy to shoot as well. Sure, that is mostly a shooter issue instead of a Glock issue, but nevertheless it is a kind of important one to me.

Not sure if that makes me a fake expert, or a shill, or an eater of sour grapes, or a contentless youtuber or what.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Whether or not Gen 5 is "enough" different, I am still ambivalent about it.
    My biggest gripe is that in the 450ish rounds I have run through it, when I shoot it side by side with my Gen 3 I personally don't shoot it as well. Or rather, it is not as easy to shoot as well. Sure, that is mostly a shooter issue instead of a Glock issue, but nevertheless it is a kind of important one to me.

Not sure if that makes me a fake expert, or a shill, or an eater of sour grapes, or a contentless youtuber or what.

I wouldn't put you into any of those categories. Handguns are subjective and if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you. It might be different if you were making videos and educating the world on how you would have made a better Gen5. When I suggest that the Gen5 is likely to shoot better for someone I'm basing that on 700+ officers who have made the switch in the past two months.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good video. His videos tend to be spot on and I'm guessing that this is about as accurate of a review as you'll find. No emotional fanboyism, just a good description. As much as I like the P10C, there is still a part of me that wants to like the G19. I've owned two Gen 3s and they didn't work for me. I might have to give a Gen 5 a try one of these days. I put 10 rounds through a rental gun a while back and don't recall being impressed, but I also don't recall having any trigger bite like I get with the P10C. The beauty of the G19 is that if you buy one and don't like it, you can always sell it without too much of a loss.

Top Bottom