• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I prefer the 2.0c over the Gen 5 19 for a couple reasons. The G5 finish just feels slick to me and I like the fish gill style serrations on the M&P (reminds me of the older RTF Glocks). As far as grip angle goes, I can tell a difference in the two but I've been shooting Glocks for years and the Smith's for about three now and shoot them pretty much the same. I like them both and carry and shoot both. Which one I carry depends on my mood :)

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    I’m goin 40 cal mostly cuz that’s what I’ve always carried and have a surplus of ammo. I’m used to firing it and I have no complaints or concerns with the 40. What I was u sure of was how bad recoils would be in a small pistol like the sun compacts. I’ve always had full size pistols other than a couple small Taurus Guns I only bought cuz they were cheap and something different than what I already had.

Ive grown up around guns and as far as training I’m both really concerned with taking classes.

I would be be interested to hear about some classes for my wife who is just now in process of getting her carry license and would probably want a good beginner class at the minimum.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I haven't owned any Glocks for years, but I have and still do own plenty of M&P's. Why? Because I shoot them a bit better than I did my Glocks and I can work on them with my eyes closed.

My current favorite and daily carry is the M&P40 m2.0 Compact. For me, this gun has been as close to PERFECTION as any that I've ever owned or shot. It just fits me like a glove!

iPNmR8Xl.jpg

A little 10-yard action with 10 rounds.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    Go rent what you are considering, none of them are bad choices. Just depends on what feels right to you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am shocked no one has recommended buying a hi point taking the money you save and buying practice ammo...

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Go rent what you are considering, none of them are bad choices. Just depends on what feels right to you.

That's what I did when I was trying to decide between a Smith Shield 9mm and Glock 43 a few years ago. Before renting I was leaning towards the G43 but after renting and firing them both I went with the Shield. I was able to shoot it better as the G43 had quite a stiff trigger. The Shield was less money and held an extra round or two depending on the magazine.

I did end up picking up a used G42 last year and just a few months ago a G48 that I was going to shoot at Camp Perry with. The G42 has been less than stellar in reliability and is strictly a range gun.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    That's what I did when I was trying to decide between a Smith Shield 9mm and Glock 43 a few years ago. Before renting I was leaning towards the G43 but after renting and firing them both I went with the Shield. I was able to shoot it better as the G43 had quite a stiff trigger. The Shield was less money and held an extra round or two depending on the magazine.

I did end up picking up a used G42 last year and just a few months ago a G48 that I was going to shoot at Camp Perry with. The G42 has been less than stellar in reliability and is strictly a range gun.

Me too, and I also chose the Shield.
    Everytime I have bought a striker fired plastic gun I take a look at Glock but they just dont "fit" me but there are plenty of people that they do fit as there are probably more 19's out there than any other model handgun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Glocks and M&Ps have more accuracy potential that 99% of shooters and reliable. You're in Danville so go to Parabellum in Avon and shoot both to see what fits your hand and feels good to you. I would suggest 9MM and something midsize like a M&P compact or a Glock 19 for starters. Also imperative to have some training if you are going to carry. Parabellum has several classes that can assist you in that area also.

OP, this is the best advice you've gotten so far and there's a reason why so many are quoting it.

Glock vs M&P especially with all the options and generations out there now is completely personal preference at this point. I EDC a M&P shield 2.0, but there's a glock 19 in the vehicle.

Like others have said, I'd reconsider caliber. Now is a great time to buy a .40 because all the departments are dumping them and used guns are cheap. That's fine if you're not going to shoot it much. If you're going to get out and shoot it and I genuinely hope you take some kind of a class some where, then the cost benefits of a 9mm outweigh anything the .40 has to offer. Cheaper plinking ammo, self defense stuff is all made to the same requirements anyway plus you get an extra round of ammo or two.

deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Factory vs factory, id go m&p. I feel they are more ergonomic and have much better sights than glocks. BUT, with the plethora of aftermarket parts for those austrians, you can make any glock anything you want and more. It all comes done to if you want to customize it or not.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm

It has interchangeable backstraps to fit any hand, 9mm for cheap practice.

Plus you don’t look like just another Glock guy shooting a unnatural pointing pistol talking about how great it is!

Do forget to customize it to prove how perfect glocks are.... yes I vote m&p... but honestly you really can't go wrong. Grab the one that feels best
    .. everything else is equal in my book.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I’m not asking which one I should buy. I’m asking opinions from other people that may have long term experience with both more than I will be able to get goin to a range once or twice.
    I understand where you're coming from, but with both options being proven many times over, and offering staggering aftermarket support; go with the one that feels the best in hand. It's how I ended up with my Walther PPS M2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since you're considering a S&W Shield, I'd suggest you look at a Sig P365 with a 12 round magazine.
    I carried a S&W 9mm Shield for a few years as a pocket pistol, and switched to the Sig P365 with 12 round magazine BECAUSE the dimensions are the same and weight are within grams of each other.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    I love Glocks. They're durable and simple. The M&Ps are very consistent and accurate. I'd recommend going to a shooting range and renting the 2 you're interested in a see which you're more comfortable with. Try the Glock 19 and M&P 9mm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Why don't you go to Second amendment Guns range in New Carlisle or Blythe guns and range in Valparaiso.in.
    Both have a selection of guns you can try and get the feel of.
    Why go on someone's opinion.

Blythes Sport Shop. Gun/Rifle Ranges. (219) 476-0026. 2810 Calumet Ave.

Second Amendment Arms and Range
    Second amendment is a bit hard to find.
    Heading North on U.S. 20 into New Carlisle.
    You see a "CVS" drugstore on the North side of 20.
    Turn North at the flashing Yellow light.
    Go down the hill and cross the double rail road tracks.
    Turn West just before the next set of tracks.
    Secondment range is on the South side about 100 yards.
    Under the power lines.

Have fun shooting!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I’ll be purchasing a new carry weapon as soon as I can get some people to respond. What’s eating me up is idk which way to lean. I have no Glock experience. I’ve shot a m&p 40 shield 1 time.

So so what I need to know is people opinions on Glock g27 Glock 23 or m&p shield or 40c?

I hVe to say I’m leaning g27 or 40c.

I know all the differences in the weapon systems. I’m just asking for some real world experience. Thanks guys and gals!

If you have never shot a Glock your going to hate it. Stay with the S&W

mrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    the region
    I respectfully disagree.

Glocks are so famous for a reason, and it aint looks.

Buy it, break it in, bury it for a decade, the dig it up and run it some more.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    In general;

if if you have a background in martial arts Glock may seem to point more naturally

if you have a background in 1911’s or jut no martial arts you may find M&p will naturally point better

but if you like every other human you will need to rent and shoot both since what I’ve just said is only 0.00001% of what people consider during their dedication process. So toss everything I said and go rent them.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    As stated before pick up both an feel which one fits your hands better, then find a range that rents guns and try them both. I have owned both guns and both are very good guns.

Top Bottom