• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaygentry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    I know it is not on your list. It I've been carrying a walther pps for over 10 years and love it. If you are stuck between the 2 go with the smith. You will be happier in the long run.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Both are equally reliable so there is no debate there.

I do prefer the M&P though because of the ergonomics. M&Ps just have a better feel and grip which equates to better control. The newer 2.0 M&P have made this even better. Something to think about, Glock is already at Gen 5 and they still cant get ergonomics right.

I just tried a Gen 5 Glock 45 today thinking that maybe they've improved over the years. Sorry, still just too much of a block gun to me.

There is one other line that I found that exceeds M&P in ergonomics. the HK P30 and HK VP9 VP40. This is on my list of next series of guns to get.

You might also want to consider 'optics ready' options as this is becoming more mainstream just because red dots really make pistol shooting a lot easier. Glock is ahead of the game in this aspect with MOS (optics ready) versions of Gen4 and 5. M&P is lagging as there are not yet any M&P 2.0 CORE (optics ready) versions that i know of, although there are M&P Shield's that are sold with Red Dots already mounted.

If HK releases an optics ready VP9, (especially in fde) i would jump on it in a heartbeat. If S&W beats them to the game and releases a CORE M&P Compact , I'd probably get that one instead.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Both are equally reliable so there is no debate there.

I do prefer the M&P though because of the ergonomics. M&Ps just have a better feel and grip which equates to better control. The newer 2.0 M&P have made this even better. Something to think about, Glock is already at Gen 5 and they still cant get ergonomics right.

I just tried a Gen 5 Glock 45 today thinking that maybe they've improved over the years. Sorry, still just too much of a block gun to me.

There is one other line that I found that exceeds M&P in ergonomics. the HK P30 and HK VP9 VP40. This is on my list of next series of guns to get.

You might also want to consider 'optics ready' options as this is becoming more mainstream just because red dots really make pistol shooting a lot easier. Glock is ahead of the game in this aspect with MOS (optics ready) versions of Gen4 and 5. M&P is lagging as there are not yet any M&P 2.0 CORE (optics ready) versions that i know of, although there are M&P Shield's that are sold with Red Dots already mounted.

If HK releases an optics ready VP9, (especially in fde) i would jump on it in a heartbeat. If S&W beats them to the game and releases a CORE M&P Compact , I'd probably get that one instead.

Hope this helps.

Like you, I'm an M&P guys, have like 6 of them in different flavors. I do think you are being a bit unfair to Glocks. Their ergonomics aren't wrong, just wrong for you and I and lots of others. But that's why we have so many different varieties of handguns out there, just different strokes for different folks.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Ill give my $.02 here. I have went through every poly gun on the market, and here is what I personally have concluded. If I wanted what IMO is the best combat poly gun on the market I would buy an HK every single day of the week. I personally think the P30 or the HK45 are just built to last and quality of the over all firearm is just better than the others.

With that said, if we are looking at striker fired guns, specifically the M&P and the Glock... I will take a Glock 100 times out of 100.

Here is my thought process on it. All the striker fire guns work relatively the same... They are all reliable to a point... They all have similar magazine capacity, and for the most part all around the same price. Many members here have laid out why you should go and rent guns/shoot them, hold them, and see what "feels" right for you. I cant take anything away from those thoughts as they are relevant and make sense. Definitely do that!

With that said, the reason I always have come back to a Glock is simplicity of the firearm. Its literally what give Glock the advantage over all the other manufactures mentioned here. I can easily take every single part out of a Glock, replace ANY part and reassemble it with no problem at all. I do not need special tools (outside the front sight), punches... not even a hammer. I can not say that for any other firearm outside of a 1911, and even a 1911 I would need some tools.

This very overlooked point is a critical one as I look at my Glocks as combat weapons. They are not my favorite guns, they are not the most comfortable guns, and they surely are not the ones I shoot best...

Because of the simplicity of the firearm, if anything were to ever happen-SHTF type situation and I broke my hand, was injured, or other... and my weapon system needed to be fixed, I could easily walk my wife or son through a full disassembly. They would be able to change out a part, and fix it with my guidance. I can not say this for M&P, any Springfield... not even an HK. Because of this, I personally prefer them vs the others. IMO when there is no mechanical advantage from one gun to another in terms of shooting, then I must look under the hood. This is where the Glock easily wins... and the reason I will always shoot the Glock over the others.

Lets be honest, none of the striker fire "combat weapons" are a joy to shoot... So if I am going to try to get proficient with one, its going to be the one that makes most sense.

Any of the guns you are asking about are fine... I would highly recommend you stay away from 40 and just get the 9mm. 40 makes little sense to me and there is a reason law enforement as well as everyone else has moved on to 9mm.

Outside of that, I hope my thought process is helpful to you... Good luck with whatever you buy!

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I dunno. I enjoy shooting my Walthers. I enjoy shooting my M&P’s. Glocks, not as much.

But, if my highest priority were customization, Glock’s the clear winner there. everything is easily available for Glock. You can turn it into The Punisher, or pink Hello Kitty if you want.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Between the G27 and G23, I prefer the G23 for day to day carry. I really like my G27 though and it gets heavy carry duty each summer. But, for an all around carry gun, it’s hard to beat the G23.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I started out with Glocks. Eventually I made a complete flip in my arsenal to all m&ps 2.0. Over time I realized while I may like things about the m&p, the Glock is where it’s at for me. All personal preference

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I love Glocks. Tried a M&P9 core with a trijicon RMR for a year. Just wasnt my thing. I gave it an honest effort.
    I like the M&P, Id trust its reliability. I didnt like how I had to remove the rear sight to take out the internals of the slide.
    Switched back to GLOCK and I have zero regrets. I am as accurate with my GLOCK as I want to be. I like the gen5 with no finger grooves the best for my hand. But I can shoot the others combat accurate as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nothing bad about the trigger reset on my M&P. Trigger works fine. Never really had a problem with Glock triggers either. It's just the rest of it that I don't care for much.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Trigger reset in my opinion is a temporary problem until you get the muscle memory. I have an M&P (original version) that I put an Apex sear into which allows you to sorta notice the reset. But then with lots of shooting and muscle memory I can shoot to reset without needing to feel it at all. Just shoot more, and reset doesn't matter after a while. :twocents:

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Trigger reset in my opinion is a temporary problem until you get the muscle memory. I have an M&P (original version) that I put an Apex sear into which allows you to sorta notice the reset. But then with lots of shooting and muscle memory I can shoot to reset without needing to feel it at all. Just shoot more, and reset doesn't matter after a while. :twocents:

Realistically then I’d choose neither. HK P30SK or a subcompact CZ. Only thing I have to get use to on the HK is hitting the mag release with your middle or index finger instead of your thumb.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The more I go along in the shooting and SD lifestyle, the less important trigger reset is.

Running a gun quick-like, as generally needed in SD practice and training (And real life, from my understanding), trigger reset is a non-issue. It's something that people who don't know better worry about. Me included.

Top Bottom