• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've often thought of Glock stock sights as nothing more than dovetail protectors that Glock puts marks on so you can break the gun in while waiting on your sights to arrive. I never really considered the benefit of the dovetail protectors but you do make a good point. I hate getting a gun with nice sights that are not what I want. It sucks to pull a beautifully made set of steel 3 dots off to replace them with night sights. I wish more manufacturers would offer standard cuts with the option of getting the gun sans sights.

Great! I just picked up a new Gen 4 G23 from USDS an hour ago. I sold my Gen 3 a couple of weeks back and really missed that gun. Figured that the Gen 4 would work for me with the better grip texture. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hoping that it ejects normally.

I'm sure it's good to go Sir, crossing fingers for you!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I've often thought of Glock stock sights as nothing more than dovetail protectors that Glock puts marks on so you can break the gun in while waiting on your sights to arrive. I never really considered the benefit of the dovetail protectors but you do make a good point. I hate getting a gun with nice sights that are not what I want. It sucks to pull a beautifully made set of steel 3 dots off to replace them with night sights. I wish more manufacturers would offer standard cuts with the option of getting the gun sans sights.

Great! I just picked up a new Gen 4 G23 from USDS an hour ago. I sold my Gen 3 a couple of weeks back and really missed that gun. Figured that the Gen 4 would work for me with the better grip texture. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hoping that it ejects normally.

Don't condemn it until you put a couple hundred rounds through it. Like I posted above my Gen 4 23 is my only Glock that doesn't have the BTF issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    True, but I have seen FAR more jammed up semi autos on the range than jammed up revolvers.

I've personally broken more revolvers than semi-autos, and at lower round counts, and in more catastrophic ways. If you've not broken one or had malfunctions, you just haven't put enough rounds through it yet. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I've never had a semi-auto lock up due to crud under the extractor star, a high primer, bullet pulling, a bent crane causing the cylinder to meet the forcing cone, etc. For personal carry I can mitigate a lot of factors, as reloads are uncommon in the extreme and I can inspect my ammo and possibly roll check before holstering.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Does breaking revolvers by taking them apart count? :):
    Revolvers and XD's are my kryptonite
    I've had one revolver break on me while shooting it. One of the flat springs or whatever you call them broke inside

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've personally broken more revolvers than semi-autos, and at lower round counts, and in more catastrophic ways. If you've not broken one or had malfunctions, you just haven't put enough rounds through it yet. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I've never had a semi-auto lock up due to crud under the extractor star, a high primer, bullet pulling, a bent crane causing the cylinder to meet the forcing cone, etc. For personal carry I can mitigate a lot of factors, as reloads are uncommon in the extreme and I can inspect my ammo and possibly roll check before holstering.

Broke a Model 29 S&W. Gun was done.

Top strap failed.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Anything mechanical can fail but I have to point out that "crud under the extractor star, a high primer, bullet pulling" are all ammo issues not gun issues. If you have any of these happen you need to switch ammo or loads. No different than a auto that won't feed a certain brand of ammo you have to find one the gun likes.
    As far as the crane being bent that happens on a gun that has been dropped or mishandled. Can't blame the gun for that. No different than a dropped auto that bends or breaks something and doesn't work anymore.
    There are things that will kill a revolver like a broken trigger stud or a broken firing pin but I have broke more firing pins on a 1911 than a revolver(personally).
    My main competition revolver has 35k rounds thru it. A couple of years ago the week before a major match the hammer stud broke. This is a back to the factory repair(I do competition and carry action work on revolvers but this was a factory return repair). No time to send back so I reassembled and shot a local match and then shot the major match with a broken hammer stud. I had a total of 4 light strikes in both matches but the gun still worked.
    In the last 6 years of revolver competition and probably 60k-75k I have had probably less than 10 malfunctions and most of those are ammo related. I have shot single matches with autoloaders that have more malfunctions than that in one match.
    Again anything mechanical can break but blaming the revolver for mishandling and improper ammo is a little unfair.

I have always said that if a revolver was working when you put it in the holster it will work when you take it out of the holster. The same cannot always be said about a autoloader.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Broke a Model 29 S&W. Gun was done.

Top strap failed.
    Did the cylinder come apart?
    Usually only thing that will take a top strap out is double charges that take the cylinder out also.
    A squib in the barrel will also but usually bulges the barrel first. Sometimes a gun will get damaged from a squib and someone will replace the barrel and the frame was damaged from the squib.
    A steady diet of light bullet thumper loads can cause top strap cutting above the forcing cone and while I have never seen a N frame shot enough to do it I suppose it could get bad enough to cut through the top strap. Makes my hands hurt just thinking about how many rounds that would take.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    On the Glocks. It was clear you enjoy the 1911 platform.

I don't understand the resale value on a Jeep but since I don't like them anyway, it's not an issue for me. I don't like crab so the price doesn't mean much to me. I would think the same would hold true for you with Glocks.

Seems to me everyone keep bringing up the jeep stuff since obviously I own a couple.. But trying to compare the resale value of a jeep vs. percentage resale value of a glock is night and day difference. I see jeeps all day long on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, I've YET to see a used glock go for a fraction of the cost new and I'm talking less than 10% like jeeps. Insinuating that I don't like them and that they shouldn't hold their value because I don't like them is not where my conclusions are coming from. I like the glocks so the resale value is an issue for me lol. I'm stating I don't see why used glocks hold there value more than any other firearm because they don't take anything to manufacture. When you see a product such as a 1911 that can sell for $350-$400 new with everything it takes to machine/manufacture there is no reason that a glock new or used should go for more than that because of how little machining/manufacturing it takes to make one unit compared to the other. Ya I get market demand and all that jazz now something I didn't take into consideration at first. But to be quite honest people are paying for the name at this point and that's just my opinion. I just simply have a different mindset from working in a manufacturing environment day in and day out. Spending 95% of of that time in a tool room on the granite. Basically a mind set of, if people actually knew and understood what it took/cost to make one they wouldn't be spending the money but ignorance is bliss. A square slide made from a square piece of stock reduces machining time and scrap load which is a win win for them, then add in what they charge per unit. They're taking people to the cleaners! Good for glock but damn people wake up! haha (Not saying you're ignorant.) If I really don't like a gun I wont own it period. I like the glocks but the only reason I have them is because I bought them for a steal (gen 4s $350 with factory grease in it) and I'll make my own before I go spend that kind of money on one.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Seems to me everyone keep bringing up the jeep stuff since obviously I own a couple.. But trying to compare the resale value of a jeep vs. percentage resale value of a glock is night and day difference. I see jeeps all day long on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, I've YET to see a used glock go for a fraction of the cost new and I'm talking less than 10% like jeeps. Insinuating that I don't like them and that they shouldn't hold their value because I don't like them is not where my conclusions are coming from. I like the glocks so the resale value is an issue for me lol. I'm stating I don't see why used glocks hold there value more than any other firearm because they don't take anything to manufacture. When you see a product such as a 1911 that can sell for $350-$400 new with everything it takes to machine/manufacture there is no reason that a glock new or used should go for more than that because of how little machining/manufacturing it takes to make one unit compared to the other. Ya I get market demand and all that jazz now something I didn't take into consideration at first. But to be quite honest people are paying for the name at this point and that's just my opinion. I just simply have a different mindset from working in a manufacturing environment day in and day out. Spending 95% of of that time in a tool room on the granite. Basically a mind set of, if people actually knew and understood what it took/cost to make one they wouldn't be spending the money but ignorance is bliss. A square slide made from a square piece of stock reduces machining time and scrap load which is a win win for them, then add in what they charge per unit. They're taking people to the cleaners! Good for glock but damn people wake up! haha (Not saying you're ignorant.) If I really don't like a gun I wont own it period. I like the glocks but the only reason I have them is because I bought them for a steal (gen 4s $350 with factory grease in it) and I'll make my own before I go spend that kind of money on one.

That's a lot of words. I'll just assume you made a valid point and say "You know, I never looked at it that way. You're right."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did the cylinder come apart?
    Usually only thing that will take a top strap out is double charges that take the cylinder out also.
    A squib in the barrel will also but usually bulges the barrel first. Sometimes a gun will get damaged from a squib and someone will replace the barrel and the frame was damaged from the squib.
    A steady diet of light bullet thumper loads can cause top strap cutting above the forcing cone and while I have never seen a N frame shot enough to do it I suppose it could get bad enough to cut through the top strap. Makes my hands hurt just thinking about how many rounds that would take.

Nope. Cylinder was messed up but intact. I had always ran 300 Gr Hornaday's in it for full effect.
    No squib.
    It just broke.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Paragraphs man......Paragraphs.....:lmfao:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    If you like/trust them then of course......carry on.
    I will never own an RIA in any form. I have seen far to much ignorant crap inside of them.
    Seen a couple of OK ones but I have no desire to own one.

I'll take your word for it, you most definitely got me beat on the 1911 smithing from what I hear.

but more or less they're gonna go bang every time I pull the trigger from what ITF was saying about whether or not a particular gun its gonna work when he pulls the trigger.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

That's where I'm at. I use pretty much the exact same sights on all of my pistols at the moment so even if it comes with decent sights on it I'm still probably going to pull them. I guess it's just too much to be sending the guns off to distributors and shops that way/both ways more so. Plus I'm sure there are way more people that won't replace the junk plastic sights or the nice metal ones for that matter than there are people like us.

Top Bottom