• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No, that's stretching so that I can hold more wings.

lc66z.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    You're fine but yeah...You ARE your Father's son for sure...Freaks me out whenever I see you...I'm going to just go on and call you "Spook" instead of "Lil' Spook"...

You've earned it Brother....Nice posts....Some INGO guy's were in the shop Saturday and we talked about you joining up and posting and how glad we are to have you....You're in so that means CM and myself will get to poke at you and you have to take it...It's initiation into the old geezer club.....:)

:rockwoot::ingo:.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Hey Spook...Jay-Ree is here and said if you have the kiln, he has got the stuff for you to case harden that frame....He said you can take it at no charge, just he may ask you a favor some time...He's stoked about your project...He's the gent that gave you those old machining manuals...

Let me know....

I may take him up on that. It’ll be a bit before I get to that point. M2HB build is first on the list haha. Been working a little on a slide past week or so. We have a couple kilns at work. As of right now they only let use air quench steels. They’re worried about fire hazard with oil and water quench stuff. Heat treated a lot of Tool steel before: A2, S7, M2... that crap is too hard for gun parts. Haven’t personally carborized anything yet. It’s some what similar to the other steels I’ve worked with just add charcoal/bone, crucible and water quenching. I need to see if they’d let me water quench at work. Oil I understand, water they’re just being p$&@ies.

Debating on using 8620 or P20, leaning more towards the 8620. Ask him what he usually uses. I’m gonna do a couple slides and play around with some different materials before I settle on the frame. The finished product I’ll make the slide and frame from the same piece of stock so the coloring matches. Gotta make some jigs up too to brace it on the inside when I drop in it, so it doesn’t warp too.

Do my rough cutting with the carbide cutters then go back in with the HSS cutters for a .005”-.010” pass should help relieve the steel a little bit to prevent warping later on.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just received "The Book of Glock" book this afternoon. If you are into the things, it's a great thing to have for the less than $14 it costs to get it. It breaks down the history of each model up to and including the Gen 5s. The info on each is good, but there are some things that either need more info or maybe clarified. For instance, it mentions that the G23 has a frame and slide beefed up to handle the greater energy. The slide is known but I did not think that there were any changes to the frame from the 19. If there are, I'd like to see them spelled out a bit more but it could be that he's talking about maybe a different ejector or some insertable part. Overall though, it's an excellent book that covers the different models, serial number ranges, maintenance, cleaning, use, and early history.

Maybe it's not the best Glock book out there but for the money it's worth having a copy around even if you don't like the things but might get one in your store. Could be handy to know if that late Gen 1 17 is actually an early Gen 2. Even if not, it's still a good gun book to have.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just received "The Book of Glock" book this afternoon. If you are into the things, it's a great thing to have for the less than $14 it costs to get it. It breaks down the history of each model up to and including the Gen 5s. The info on each is good, but there are some things that either need more info or maybe clarified. For instance, it mentions that the G23 has a frame and slide beefed up to handle the greater energy. The slide is known but I did not think that there were any changes to the frame from the 19. If there are, I'd like to see them spelled out a bit more but it could be that he's talking about maybe a different ejector or some insertable part. Overall though, it's an excellent book that covers the different models, serial number ranges, maintenance, cleaning, use, and early history.

Maybe it's not the best Glock book out there but for the money it's worth having a copy around even if you don't like the things but might get one in your store. Could be handy to know if that late Gen 1 17 is actually an early Gen 2. Even if not, it's still a good gun book to have.
    2 pin to three pin frame was the change made when the .40 started breaking two-pin frames. Other than that, I don’t know of any?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting. I wonder if that's the reason that we won't see a Gen 5 G23? Since they've stepped away from .40, they can simplify the Gen 5 and go back to a 2 pin design.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Interesting. I wonder if that's the reason that we won't see a Gen 5 G23? Since they've stepped away from .40, they can simplify the Gen 5 and go back to a 2 pin design.

I never realized that they beefed up the g23. Im curious as to why they didn’t with the g20.. I’m just figuring since the .40 came from the 10mm. Would that be stupid to wonder?

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville

Have to agree the book is pretty cool if you like the glock, and I do!:dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So, the G23 MHS is a two pin design also. Sounds like the only reason they are not doing the Gen 5 G23 is that they are buying into the idea that nobody wants a .40 any more. That's too bad, but in their defense, there are an awful lot of police trade in .40s floating around, so maybe the market does not support the investment.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    So, the G23 MHS is a two pin design also. Sounds like the only reason they are not doing the Gen 5 G23 is that they are buying into the idea that nobody wants a .40 any more. That's too bad, but in their defense, there are an awful lot of police trade in .40s floating around, so maybe the market does not support the investment.

Yes on the two pin design. It is my understanding the locking block was changed or beefed up to accommodate the .40 thus eliminating the pin. Don't have any access of course to the 23MHS so can't confirm. Hadn't planned on buying another Glock anytime soon but if they were to release the "23X" I would defiantly take a look.

FULL308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    US
    Can someone please tell me why used glocks go for what they do? Don't give me that "they're a awesome gun, they're the ak of the pistol world crap either." I own glocks, I own 1911s I love them both. I'm not a glock hater just the used prices are ridiculous.

Bottom line is you have a plastic injection mold frame, a "square" slide that takes nothing to machine, minimal parts oh and by the way they're not a collectors gun THERE IS MILLIONS out there... Its not like they're in short supply. They shouldn't cost more than $250 new out the door to begin with for what it takes to manufacture them.

So please explain to me why you think your used glock should cost only $50 less than what I can buy them for new..... Can we all please come down off our high horses on these used guns? Please!
    I think it's because of the growing gun community and the lack of gun knowledge. Glock is a well marketed name brand that everyone knows and trust so without knowing any better people will by out of impulse if they believe they're getting a good deal on a gun that is always talked about.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. People buy Glocks for the utility that they offer. That utility does not diminish with use. When you buy based on function instead of form, if the function is retained, the price will reflect it. If you buy form over function and the form is diminished with use or as tastes change, the price will soften to reflect that too.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Master Mechanical engineering degree U oF L speed school. Also currently working as a Tool and Die maker. So quite a bit actually:):

View attachment 64014

Made every piece by hand on manual machines from scratch. Flatness, perpendicularity and parallelesm (GD&T: Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) is held to .00005” on the base. In case your wondering

some may call BS on .00005” but here’s an example of what I make

View attachment 64016
    View attachment 64017

Now I am nothing compared to the Master Tool Makers I work with, I have a lot to learn yet but I’d say I’m pretty decent at what I do. So please Let’s have a mature conversation..

LOL! Maybe that should suffice.

As someone who knows their way round ASMEY14.5 I'm duly impressed.

Top Bottom