• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They shouldn't cost more than $250 new out the door to begin with for what it takes to manufacture them.

See...there's your problem. A misunderstanding of what sets market price. Take a look at the following chart:

market-equilibrium-shortage-surplus-diagram.svg

You'll note "cost to manufacture" appears nowhere, because it doesn't set price. Supply and demand do. So the simple answer is they sell for what they do because there is sufficient demand for the supply that exists. In the case of a Glock, there's little functional difference in new vs used, as opposed to some prestige brands/models, so used gun demand is closer to new gun demand.

See how many .40 firearms are on fire sale? They aren't any cheaper to make now, demand just bottomed out and there's plenty of supply. You're getting close to your $250 Glock in police trade in Glock 22s for that reason, several sources for within a few bucks of $300, anyway.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Glock is the Honda Civic of firearms. Try finding a low-mileage used Civic that's not a fully loaded 1 year old lease trade in.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Please enlighten us with your engineering and manufacturing background.

Master Mechanical engineering degree U oF L speed school. Also currently working as a Tool and Die maker. So quite a bit actually:):

CFFA1800-0EB8-4D92-AD52-3A7065A094E3.jpg

Made every piece by hand on manual machines from scratch. Flatness, perpendicularity and parallelesm (GD&T: Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) is held to .00005” on the base. In case your wondering

some may call BS on .00005” but here’s an example of what I make

FEA00539-A585-46CF-AE4E-74939D7166F8.jpg
    2BF6209F-EF0E-491A-BF47-F10D049B47CC.jpg

Now I am nothing compared to the Master Tool Makers I work with, I have a lot to learn yet but I’d say I’m pretty decent at what I do. So please Let’s have a mature conversation..

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Generally unless they are severely abused or they are fitted with a bunch of aftermarket stuff, they tend to run just as new. Why do certain types of vehicles hold their value (Trucks, Jeeps, etc). Same type of thing I suspect. They are a commodity, but that also makes the used ones not far off of new. And agreed with Expat, supply & demand have kind of settled on those prices.

I have seen a drop in the prices of .40 Glocks on the used market as the market has kind of settled on .40 being less desirable these days. I'm guessing largely due to the large supply of used Glocks available in this caliber currently.

The lifespan of a Glock is easily measured in the tens of thousands of rounds. Lots of LEO turn ins out there in .40. I picked up a very new looking G22 for $300 not long ago. I don't care if the snob gallery decided .40 isn't cool any more, that's a hell of a deal for a fine weapon in excellent shape.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Glocks are popular to the new gun owner. They have instant brand recognition, and that is for good reason they are good pistols. Many new gun owners gravitate toward the used market and hope to get a good deal, but end up paying close to new prices for a used gun. I think it is crazy, but people advertise them and eventually sell them. There are a lot of "only been to the range once" gen 5's advertised for more than new, and they seem to sell within a week or three.

This phenomena is not specific to glocks, used pre railed sigs also seem to sell for 600+. Again I believe the buyers grab up the beat up police trade in 226 for a bargain because they compared the price to a legion or whatever sig is decorating them up as. I see over inflated prices all across the board on 1911's, often times seeing Taurus' offerings selling at 50 to 75 over the cost of new. KelTrash carbines are another firearm that seems to be worth 50 dollars more used than new. It is a market flooded with misinformed buyers.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You make splinters?:dunno: Just joking.. Name recognition and reliability but in the end it's simply supply and demand. I have a couple I thought about selling but I would rather keep them than sell for $400, this market su@ks. I think you will find that like many items on Gunbroker asking price and what they actually sell for are two entirely different numbers.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Can someone please tell me why used glocks go for what they do? Don't give me that "they're a awesome gun, they're the ak of the pistol world crap either." I own glocks, I own 1911s I love them both. I'm not a glock hater just the used prices are ridiculous.

Bottom line is you have a plastic injection mold frame, a "square" slide that takes nothing to machine, minimal parts oh and by the way they're not a collectors gun THERE IS MILLIONS out there... Its not like they're in short supply. They shouldn't cost more than $250 new out the door to begin with for what it takes to manufacture them.

So please explain to me why you think your used glock should cost only $50 less than what I can buy them for new..... Can we all please come down off our high horses on these used guns? Please!

I challenge you to lead by example once you hit 50 posts. One of the best reasons to be in the gun hobby is so that you don't completely loose your butt when it comes time to sell.
    As others have posted/stated, supply and demand and name recognition. Maybe Glock sells to wholesalers cheap, then they mark them up to the distributors, who in turn mark them up to the retailer, who marks them up to the consumer.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'm personally glad they sell at a little higher priced used. The one Glock I bought, a 19, sold a week or 2 after I bought it and thankfully I did not loose too much money. Good pistol, crappy ergonomics for me. Other firearms I have tried to sell, I either could not sell for the price I was willing to part with them, or I lost a lot of money. They are good pistols and like others have said, a lot of new buyers are picking them up just because they are "Glocks" and the new buyer doesn't know there might be something out there that would fit them so much better.

Top Bottom