• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    See...there's your problem. A misunderstanding of what sets market price. Take a look at the following chart:

market-equilibrium-shortage-surplus-diagram.svg

You'll note "cost to manufacture" appears nowhere, because it doesn't set price. Supply and demand do. So the simple answer is they sell for what they do because there is sufficient demand for the supply that exists. In the case of a Glock, there's little functional difference in new vs used, as opposed to some prestige brands/models, so used gun demand is closer to new gun demand.

See how many .40 firearms are on fire sale? They aren't any cheaper to make now, demand just bottomed out and there's plenty of supply. You're getting close to your $250 Glock in police trade in Glock 22s for that reason, several sources for within a few bucks of $300, anyway.

1. Very good. As an Econ teacher I go over diagrams like this every day in my class! :coffee:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They have a proven street cred. You don't need a gun smith ever. Parts are everywhere and cheap. The mags couldn't be any better......I could go on

Yes they are collected....early generations bring big cash, different police roll marks bring big cash

Huge following

Hit Glocktalk forum and educate yourself

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I know my input is not respected :dunno:since I don't have the experience and expertise but that has never stopped me before. :laugh:
    I sympathize and totally understand the OP's point and have wondered the same about Glocks.

The fact that a good .22LR pistol can bring $300, $400, $500 or over $1000 drives me wild since you can get an array of larger caliber guns cheaper than a 22: I don't get it, but: supply and demand in the market is everything.
    In my opinion, people generally hang on to their 22s and manufacturers don't make them profusely b/c they can't mark them up like larger calibers with more "romance" wrapped around them.

I have bought and sold a bevy of 9mm, but never even got close to a Glock b/c they are priced so much more than what I could buy other manufacturers for.
    I have shot them at the range and did not "get it."
    I like my S/W M/P Shields much better (the Toyota Corolla of guns :laugh:) than Glocks or anything else I've rented.
    I've owned the Walthers, Rugers, Sig Sauers and more, and rented many of the others but it came back to the Shields for me.
    I know my comments are ignorant (w/o intellectual depth:lmfao:), but they are the insights of one with no dog in the fight and who has no great bias about gun brands, although my experience from 1975 - 1990 before I sold nearly everything did teach me the names of those brands I couldn't afford in my youth.

I too, have observed unbelievable buys on used 40 calibers ($200 - $300) at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield.
    I wish I could remember the brands b/c they were top-tier, and I wondered how on earth they were selling for the samish price as a used Taurus 709 Slim.
    I never went the route of the .40 after talking to gun people, but b/c of price, I am tempted about every week (sucker for a value).
    Just like I can now buy a P95 Ruger 9mm well-kept for $285, which by my research is a real workhorse of reliability, and I don't need it, but it seems like such a good price and it is an older gun having held its value well.
    Glocks start out higher and hold value higher b/c of the same reasons, and if Glocks did anything for me (I've rented a few) I wouldn't be afraid to buy them b/c I know I could resell w/o loss like I do on all the others I buy.

Don't get me started on ammo prices: INSANE. (speaking from someone who hadn't bought ammo since late 80s till fairly recently).

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I challenge you to lead by example once you hit 50 posts.

Gentlemen I keep seeing this 50 comments post nonsense and I want to make things very clear, that is not why I'm here. And really I think its a silly rule for this very reason. It instills the mindset that people race for the 50 just to buy/sell guns. Not saying some don't! But for gods sake drop it because it really kills the buzz of the ones that do want to participate. The real reason I'm here is for the gunsmithing and some legal info. Quite frankly I really haven't seen anything to my liking on the classifieds anyways. Most likely that will only happen once in a blue moon. Someone that knows me personally such as Indiucky knows I have a very particular taste in firearms. I have all the new stuff that every shop just about carries anymore so really it takes the old or the one off stuff to catch my eye. I find a lot of beauty in a firearm that has complex mechanics good or bad because of the mind it took to think up something like that.

That being said 223 Gunner challenging me to lead by example in selling my current glocks I own probably wont happen for the simple reason I never sell. I'm in the triple digits on guns for that very reason. Also I've never paid over $350 for one for LNIB. Ones I've purchased only had a single mag through them and were only in the original owners possession for about a month at the longest. Now as far as buying goes no I will not pay the price. I have already wrote the G code program for an aluminum lower that I'll make in a CNC. The slide I'll just do it on the manual machines. I'll have a plastic free glock for half the price of a store bought.

So for those that posted the "well don't buy one if you don't like the price" comments. I wont, I'll make one.
    Those that posted comments that were actually thought out and showed some form of intelligence, especially the gentleman that posted the graph. Bravo! Hats off to you!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Gentlemen I keep seeing this 50 comments post nonsense...

Welcome to INGO.

Yes, it can be irritating but don't take it personally. Someone always seems to bring it up.

I had been a member for ~3 years before I posted the first or second time and was accused of racing to 50 until I pointed out that a couple of posts in 3 years was a mighty slow race. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gentlemen I keep seeing this 50 comments post nonsense and I want to make things very clear, that is not why I'm here. And really I think its a silly rule for this very reason. It instills the mindset that people race for the 50 just to buy/sell guns. Not saying some don't! But for gods sake drop it because it really kills the buzz of the ones that do want to participate. The real reason I'm here is for the gunsmithing and some legal info. Quite frankly I really haven't seen anything to my liking on the classifieds anyways. Most likely that will only happen once in a blue moon. Someone that knows me personally such as Indiucky knows I have a very particular taste in firearms. I have all the new stuff that every shop just about carries anymore so really it takes the old or the one off stuff to catch my eye. I find a lot of beauty in a firearm that has complex mechanics good or bad because of the mind it took to think up something like that.

That being said 223 Gunner challenging me to lead by example in selling my current glocks I own probably wont happen for the simple reason I never sell. I'm in the triple digits on guns for that very reason. Also I've never paid over $350 for one for LNIB. Ones I've purchased only had a single mag through them and were only in the original owners possession for about a month at the longest. Now as far as buying goes no I will not pay the price. I have already wrote the G code program for an aluminum lower that I'll make in a CNC. The slide I'll just do it on the manual machines. I'll have a plastic free glock for half the price of a store bought.

So for those that posted the "well don't buy one if you don't like the price" comments. I won't, I'll make one.
    Those that posted comments that were actually thought out and showed some form of intelligence, especially the gentleman that posted the graph. Bravo! Hats off to you!

1. Loved your comments! :thumbsup:
    2. Even though some comments on some threads here can be somewhat pompous, believe me, the people here are a world better level than a sports car site I was on for 7 yrs. Very mean-spirited at times, and finally I got tired of it and moved on. I think they were just having fun with you and didn't mean anything by it. :popcorn:
    3. I have sooo much fun here learning from everyone since I know so little and since I "put it all out there" I deserve any fun that gets poked at me and I don't mind at all. :D
    4. It was fun seeing someone take a shot at someone else who was on a whole other level of technical know-how, and to find out they knew more about mechanical aspects than those having a little fun with you. As a teacher: well done.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO.

Yes, it can be irritating but don't take it personally. Someone always seems to bring it up.

I had been a member for ~3 years before I posted the first or second time and was accused of racing to 50 until I pointed out that a couple of posts in 3 years was a mighty slow race. :)

1. I remember when I first got on this site last May (I think) and was so shocked that I had to go buy from Armslist and another site I've forgotten, and at a couple of gun shops before I could buy here, so I bought a few guns elsewhere: I didn't get it either and still don't even after hearing the rationalization.
    2. Someone told me that if you became a member ($20, I think), you could circumvent the "50" rule, so I did and started buying here instead of waiting until weeks to get my "50 posts." At first it would have taken weeks, but now that I've got threads going and posts all over the place, it would only take days.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    1. Loved your comments! :thumbsup:
    4. It was fun seeing someone take a shot at someone else who was on a whole other level of technical know-how, and to find out they knew more about mechanical aspects than those having a little fun with you. As a teacher: well done.

Don't worry I'm easy going. I don't get offended easily lol pretty thick skinned. Just when I want an real answer I don't have time for Bull S@#%.

Need I add I also have another B.S. Degree in Aviation from Indiana State University. Private pilot, Instrument rated, Tail dragger, multi engine, complex endorsements.

Might only be 27 but I've accomplished quite a bit in my opinion.
    Long way to go in education and I don't plan on stopping any time soon

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't worry I'm easy going. I don't get offended easily lol pretty thick skinned. Just when I want an real answer I don't have time for Bull S@#%.

Need I add I also have another B.S. Degree in Aviation from Indiana State University. Private pilot, Instrument rated, Tail dragger, multi engine, complex endorsements.

Might only be 27 but I've accomplished more by 27 than most men will do in a lifetime.
    Long way to go in education and I don't plan on stopping any time soon

Hi SPOOK (bunch of numbers) and welcome to INGO. As someone twice your age please take this advice: life has a way of teaching you humility, remember that as you go forward.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think the base models run about $425
    The ones with night sights are like $489

Good pistols kinda like a Toyota !

Good rule of thumb (back before the Gen 5 was released) was that a used Gen 3 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27 was worth ~ $50 less than new. I've bought several of those from this site for $450 or less, normally with extras such as holsters, night sights, extra mags, etc. At the same time, the Gen 4 Glocks were going for the same, or slightly more since they were ~$40 more retail. One of my first transactions on here was a Gen 4 G17 which I bought for $450, which I thought was a great deal. I've seen a lot of ads for Glocks for more than $50 off the new price and I just laugh. If you just wait, someone else will post one with a lower price. With the drop in .40 pricing and the introduction of the Gen 5 Glocks it's even better if you watch for deals. I don't understand people who pay close to or more than retail price on any gun, unless it's a collectible or something... :scratch:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    "It is what it is my friends", yes I am a Glock lover, my life, my families lives, our property rely on them now, but I have carried, Colts, Smiths, Sigs, etc, etc.
    I read many a post of falling Glock prices, and the big Glock Dump onto the gun market, and gun show and private sales stories about inexpensive Glocks.

Example:https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/the-100-buck-glock.1692965/#post-25098240

Of course these things happen, but what I do not see, and I look each and every day, "Deals", anywhere.

Glocks in LGS............standard pricing, classifieds, ARMSLIST ? every now and then, gun shows, (I no longer go) but have heard occasionally about some guy in a corner that had a bunch of Police Trades going for ???

This is what it is these days, fifty years from now some of you will be talking about your light sabers.

I enjoy INGO, checking it out each day whenever I can, meeting great INGOers, getting some great deals, but I have yet in the past twenty some years seen too many GLOCK DEALS that are out there day after day, week after week, month after month.

If anyone here cares to share the GLOCKAPALOOZA jackpot place to go, AIM/BUDS/ARMSLIST/INGO/GLOCKTALK/LGS/CRAIGSLIST whatever, please do.

Because Glocks as we all know are being dumped in .40, found on shelves and tables, and in the classifieds every day!

NOT!

I got mine, and Blue Label has been for me at least the lowest constant price I find them at.

PS In answer to your question OP, because they (GLOCKS for some of us) work, as a tool to protect us.
    Don't leave home without it..................What's in your holster?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Both AIM Surplus and Sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore have great prices from time to time on police trade Glocks. I've also seen good deals on police trade Glocks at the Indy 1500. A couple of months ago I picked up a used Gen 3 NiBX coated G23 for $385 out the door from Point Blank in Greenwood. Yeah, not the best deal, but for a fairly rare version of Glock, I thought the price wasn't bad.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Hi SPOOK (bunch of numbers) and welcome to INGO. As someone twice your age please take this advice: life has a way of teaching you humility, remember that as you go forward.

Ive learned much humility over the years. People that have humility are the ones that continue to learn and educate themselves. Peope that are arrogant are the ones that are truly ignorant because they believe they “know it all” and refuse to learn new things. Someone asked what was my “engineering and manufacturing background” I simply answered. I’m relatively a new Tool Maker when my time in the trade is compared to most Tool Makers. But I do have the “gift” to work with my hands but I will never claim that I’m a Master Tool Maker. When you see one of the Masters take a 1/4” of stock off on a surface grinder and the part be cold to the touch! That my friend is when you learn to keep your mouth shut and listen. The Master Tool Makers I work with truly scare me at times when I see what they can do with a machine and their hands. It really throws everything you thought you learned mechanically out the window and leaves you with a very very stupid feeling. For someone like me that has true passion and love for what they do, something like that can almost be depressing (NOT SAYING I AM Hahaha). Because when you see someone on that level of skill do that, you sit and think “how in the hell am I ever going to be that good?” That can be a real gut wrenching feeling. Well for me anyway. I can be my worst critic in the classroom and shop at times. Maybe an OCD characteristic? Im still convinced a couple of them sold their soul to get those skills :)::dunno:. That reason is why I continue to push the boundaries of my education, that’s humility.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good rule of thumb (back before the Gen 5 was released) was that a used Gen 3 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27 was worth ~ $50 less than new. I've bought several of those from this site for $450 or less, normally with extras such as holsters, night sights, extra mags, etc. At the same time, the Gen 4 Glocks were going for the same, or slightly more since they were ~$40 more retail. One of my first transactions on here was a Gen 4 G17 which I bought for $450, which I thought was a great deal. I've seen a lot of ads for Glocks for more than $50 off the new price and I just laugh. If you just wait, someone else will post one with a lower price. With the drop in .40 pricing and the introduction of the Gen 5 Glocks it's even better if you watch for deals. I don't understand people who pay close to or more than retail price on any gun, unless it's a collectible or something... :scratch:

1. Great points!
    2. I look for caveats buying off individuals (saved taxes a given but appreciated) like extraa mags, holsters, but it is the ammo that will come with some that makes me buy them when I wasn't even looking at that particular gun.
    3. Example: S/W M/P Shield 45 for $320 with $50 of ammo with it, to me made the price comparatively a smooth $275, so I had to buy it, still have it, and it is my favorite probably b/c I feel like I "stole" it and will sell for a $50 profit at a good value of my original price of $320.
    4. I have bought guns w/o box, 2nd mag, or ammo, but only if I want it badly or if it a "steal."
    5. Recently, I could choose between a Ruger single-action 6 shot 22LR (either $280), one a 6 inch barrel (which is what I wanted) with nothing else, or buying a 4.5 inch (I think that is what it was) with box and extra cylinder (magnum).
    6. I bought the later b/c I thought it a better value and easier resale which I did after 1 range session finding out that even though it was my revered 22 caliber it brought me no joy. I had a Heritage Arms same type for $110 before that I enjoyed as much (probably b/c I only had so little in it: yes, I'm that cheap: price matters to my joy :dunno:).
    7. I know, I'm so ashamed: you wonder how I live with myself. :ugh: Since I am so cheap, I always have a little money around for that next "value." :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ive learned much humility over the years. People that have humility are the ones that continue to learn and educate themselves. Peope that are arrogant are the ones that are truly ignorant because they believe they “know it all” and refuse to learn new things. Someone asked what was my “engineering and manufacturing background” I simply answered. I’m relatively a new Tool Maker when my time in the trade is compared to most Tool Makers. But I do have the “gift” to work with my hands but I will never claim that I’m a Master Tool Maker. When you see one of the Masters take a 1/4” of stock off on a surface grinder and the part be cold to the touch! That my friend is when you learn to keep your mouth shut and listen. The Master Tool Makers I work with truly scare me at times when I see what they can do with a machine and their hands. It really throws everything you thought you learned mechanically out the window and leaves you with a very very stupid feeling. For someone like me that has true passion and love for what they do, something like that can almost be depressing (NOT SAYING I AM Hahaha). Because when you see someone on that level of skill do that, you sit and think “how in the hell am I ever going to be that good?” That can be a real gut wrenching feeling. Well for me anyway. I can be my worst critic in the classroom and shop at times. Maybe an OCD characteristic? Im still convinced a couple of them sold their soul to get those skills :)::dunno:. That reason is why I continue to push the boundaries of my education, that’s humility.

1. Enjoyed the thread and all the comments.
    2. I have learned that people really don't want to know how proficient you are in something, they just want you to tell them how great they are: such is life.
    3. I was in a sports car club for 8 yrs. and it was hilarious how denigrating some would "speak" to me and had to laugh b/c if they really knew who I was and it was in person, these "younglings" would never dare take such liberties, but my 32 yr. old son told me that was the way of the 'net and the nature of it.
    4. At the same time, I met some very wonderful people and it was fun going to a national drive or state drive and putting faces to monikers.
    5. I remember when I sat down to a table to eat with a group and introduced myself one guy turned ashen and started apologizing for things he'd said.
    I assured him that I didn't remember who said what so he was "in the clear." They can't imagine that I really could care less what some unseen guy said on the net with their brave talk.
    I swear I think some of them were drinking while typing to act/say things the way they did. :laugh:
    6. Like some take their guns too seriously and it is their life, same with a sports car.
    Others, like me, live multiple lives with multiple interests with cars or guns or a dozen other things just being a distraction and entertainment, with some utility involved.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Gentlemen I keep seeing this 50 comments post nonsense and I want to make things very clear, that is not why I'm here. And really I think its a silly rule for this very reason. It instills the mindset that people race for the 50 just to buy/sell guns. Not saying some don't! But for gods sake drop it because it really kills the buzz of the ones that do want to participate.

I was accused of being a "flipper" after my first post where I introduced myself. There were some comments made about 50 posts and I took it with a grain of salt because you're not going to have any luck flipping what's for sale here. Even with tax, shipping, and an ffl transfer, you can buy new for the same or less.

On the other hand, it appears that if you post ad nauseam that you're incompetent around firearms, a "noob", and how you only buy guns with the intention of selling them, you're pretty much a novelty.

I've met about a dozen members from this site and every single time I'm blown away by their knowledge and friendliness. I'm either getting lucky and meeting the good ones or they're all good and have no online etiquette. Either way, welcome and I hope it gets better for you as it did for me.

Top Bottom