• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Since when did we start laying 214's on the table instead of our dicks to measure manhood?

*In the interest of full disclosure, neither of mine are impressive.

It usually comes up when people don't have an actual point to make. It occupies the part of the discussion that the dads beating up dads topic does at the elementary playground.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    It usually comes up when people don't have an actual point to make. It occupies the part of the discussion that the dads beating up dads topic does at the elementary playground.

Sadly I get it. It just seems odd that people want to talk about a 214 when you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a veteran.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife's step-dad had 6 purple hearts. The last one was after loosing his leg to a RPG in 1968 during the Tet offensive. He doesn't talk about it much. And never ever brags.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Master Mechanical engineering degree U oF L speed school. Also currently working as a Tool and Die maker. So quite a bit actually:):

View attachment 64014

Made every piece by hand on manual machines from scratch. Flatness, perpendicularity and parallelesm (GD&T: Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) is held to .00005” on the base. In case your wondering

some may call BS on .00005” but here’s an example of what I make

View attachment 64016
    View attachment 64017

Now I am nothing compared to the Master Tool Makers I work with, I have a lot to learn yet but I’d say I’m pretty decent at what I do. So please Let’s have a mature conversation..

Oh snap, Nipprdog. And I do believe that part he made is on his middle finger. :D

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    somebody got owned with this post

He stated that Glock could sell pistols for $250, and presumably still make a profit and stay in business. While the work he posted was very, very impressive( he does have SKILLS I will admit that), it doesn't explain why he thinks glock could sell pistols for $250 and still stay in business. Maybe I could have explained it better in my first post. My bad.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    He stated that Glock could sell pistols for $250, and presumably still make a profit and stay in business. While the work he posted was very, very impressive( he does have SKILLS I will admit that), it doesn't explain why he thinks glock could sell pistols for $250 and still stay in business. Maybe I could have explained it better in my first post. My bad.

At one time cost per unit to manufacture was $80. I think they’re roughly around $100 per unit now to manufacture. So yes at $250 there would still be a profit margin not as large but still there. Yes you need to add in employee cost and so on. It’s the same reason hi-point can sell there’s for $150 new. Polymer lower and minimal machine work on the upper. Minimal machine work reduces cost and scrap load so in return more back to the company. NOW obviously hipoint does not have the reputation glock has. But with reputation comes demand, demand comes price gouging.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    He stated that Glock could sell pistols for $250, and presumably still make a profit and stay in business. While the work he posted was very, very impressive( he does have SKILLS I will admit that), it doesn't explain why he thinks glock could sell pistols for $250 and still stay in business.

He hangs around my revolver toting a$$ too much.....:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I figure Glock holds their value so well 'cause they're underpriced going in.
    You get a lot of useful work and practice out of Glock for the money.
    I always hated Glock until the Gen4 came out. It's the first Glock I can aim at point of impact. The other models I had to aim at the knee to hit the abdomen. They just didn't fit my hand at all.
    I'm not in love with Glock but they're a working man's gun. They work, good mag capacity, light enough for comfortable carry, and other than decent night sights and a 3.5lb connector you don't need to do anything to them.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Glock is the Apple of the gun world. Glock marketing is primarily the reason behind its resale value.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0331/064.html

If you also add in the factor most dealers are also buying at wholesale price. Something I forgot myself. Which they mark up to make profit room for them too. Personally working in injection molding.. that stuff goes for pennies. The money is in the slide for machining and heat treatment. Also smaller components such as springs, pins and what not.

Now this is from 2003 so obvisouly it’s probably gone up but there’s a chance it might not have changed at all because of how far multi axis CNCs have came in the past 15 years. This will reduce setup and machining time drastically for the slide. Also including making the mold cavity inserts for the frame.

Take it how you want but working in a very similar manufacturing environment stuff like this doesn’t cost anything to make per unit. Sometimes in market strategy alone if they make the prices too cheap the buyers will think it’s a cheap product and won’t buy it. So they mark up the price to make something look of high quality to influence the buyer. (That’s an example glock lovers before you get your panties in a wad I was not insinuating glocks were poor quality.)

That very instance happen to me when I first saw Mosins for $75. I remember thinking “I don’t want that cheap junk.” Now I own a couple lol

Yes they’re quality guns, yes they’re reliable but other than market demand they are over priced in my opinion for what they are. Used ones shouldn’t rival new prices also.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People pay crazy prices for a $250 gun for only one reason. POLICE CARRY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do LEO's carry them? The city budget buys the cheapest they can find. When the sheep see this they just HAVE to have a 'real LEO gun'. Not the best gun, just one LEO's are FORCED to carry.

Those old enough will remember the same frenzy with the Beretta's a few years ago. Wait a few years till LEO's replace them with something cheaper and pick them up at J&G or Classic Arms for $199.

I have 3 family members with the Police. All are FORCED to carry Glocks on the job. ALL carry SIG's off the job.

I carried a Sig on and off duty until the 17M. I now carry it on and off duty. As Phylodog can attest to, I have a very wide variety of choices as a plain clothes officer.

I'm satisfied with either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    At one time cost per unit to manufacture was $80. I think they’re roughly around $100 per unit now to manufacture. So yes at $250 there would still be a profit margin not as large but still there. Yes you need to add in employee cost and so on. It’s the same reason hi-point can sell there’s for $150 new. Polymer lower and minimal machine work on the upper. Minimal machine work reduces cost and scrap load so in return more back to the company. NOW obviously hipoint does not have the reputation glock has. But with reputation comes demand, demand comes price gouging.

That's not price gouging, it's basic business. Refer back to the diagram on setting market price. What it costs to make didn't appear on the chart for a reason.

1971dodge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I own a glock and it’s ugly as sin not my first choice of gun. Not interesting it’s just a plastic and metal tool that does nothing really for me. The best thing that ever been produce and uses the term model 19 is a smith and Wesson 357 mag. The glock shelf life is still to be Determined because how long the frame will last years to come and the steel taken care of will last forever. Plus a blue or nickle or stainless gun is so sexy compared to other modern coating used on guns today.

17BDC363-3746-474A-B88B-88D5A0D4B922.jpg

Attachments

• DDCB204B-9BD8-4B3F-B8F6-4F04AF8EA95E.jpg
      DDCB204B-9BD8-4B3F-B8F6-4F04AF8EA95E.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 4

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I tend to agree with the original poster. I think the price of used handguns these days has gotten out of hand. Used to be that used guns sold for 25% to 50% less than new. Then again I think the same thing about trucks. A half ton doesn't have $20k worth of utility in it, let alone $40k. I also grease with most others response: I just don't buy them. When I find something that's a good price I spend the money otherwise I keep it in my pocket.

Top Bottom