• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Bzzzt...the question was looking for an answer phrased in terms of the name of the gun.

The correct answer, sports fans, was the 1911. There is still precisely one (1) shooting event left which is dominated by the original 1911 design. It's called "Bullseye,

and just what gun gun did our National Champion Jonathan Shue use to win?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yep, someone is proud of his work and wants to spread it around. I am sure it will be nominated for a literary award... possibly a Pulitzer!!! Wow! That is some work of art!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Bzzzt...the question was looking for an answer phrased in terms of the name of the gun.

The correct answer, sports fans, was the 1911. There is still precisely one (1) shooting event left which is dominated by the original 1911 design. It's called "Bullseye," and unlike most other pistol sports, re-fires (or "alibis" in game-talk) are allowed for gun malfunctions.

More to the point: if you changed the rulebook to eliminate re-fires, I would guess conservatively that probably 10% of the shooters in a given match would not even be able to get all their rounds downrange, much less in the target. Yes, the guns are tightly-fitted and running light springs. But under the modern rules, re-fires almost always hurt your score (since only the lowest-scoring 10 shots are counted), and for whatever reason, people still cannot manage to get their rounds downrange. And these are not newie-putzes; these are experienced competitors who know the 1911 inside-out and have been shooting it for decades, in most cases.

Furthermore and still, I would bet that once the aforementioned hypothetical rule-change had a chance to shake out, and everyone had bought themselves a Lee Factory Crimp Die (who didn't already have one), and made a New Year's Resolution to chamber-check their rounds more religiously....I would still bet that in 6 months' time, that number of "alibi shooters" would still only be cut in half.

While equipment and admin rules dictate our shooting sports, they may not be the most practical adoptions into EDC or QCB. So when we say in this Ford vs Chevy debate that one gun is better than the other it needs to be clearly defined as CGO (casual gun owners) may get the wrong idea. I shoot with many NRA Precision Shooters and we obey the first rule of a gunfight and bring tools that work. Like substandard equipment driven by shooters in all sports they will not placing well in the finals. In .22 we shoot S&W Model 41, Ruger, Hammerili etc. not to mention Centerfire Guns such as the model S&W 19, 25, 52 etc. polymer guns are not competitive because of many reasons like industry accuracy standards and such. Accuracy, sight picture, trigger control and follow thru are very important in a precision shot. It helps us build a great foundation to shoot any gun we decide is best for us. In IHMSA where we shoot 200yrds + with handguns you will not see our Polymer products there either. In ICORE and PPC and CAS our non polymer guns do quite well too. My polymer hi cap guns do well in IDPA, Rattle Battles and Dueling Trees and training, However when my life is on the line on the street where there are no alibis and tested fundamentals in technique and equipment will rule the day, I do not trust plastic quite yet.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My polymer hi cap guns do well in IDPA, Rattle Battles and Dueling Trees and training, However when my life is on the line on the street where there are no alibis and tested fundamentals in technique and equipment will rule the day, I do not trust plastic quite yet.

I'm the opposite. Just about every polymer frame pistol that I've owned has been very reliable. I would trust a Glock, M&P, HK VP series or PPQ out of the box and straight into the holster way before I'd trust a metal frame Sig or 1911. I don't care for Glock ergonomics, but none that I've ever owned have needed specific lubrication and babying like a metal frame pistol. They will run dry, just fine. If we go to war tomorrow, there will be a Glock or M&P in my holster. I don't worry about slow fire hole punching or 200 yard trick shots with a pistol. Defensive handguns are for up close and dirty fighting.

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    I agree. Great guns. A good friend who owned a gunshop for many years, and could obtain anything he wanted, advised that if he had to head out with only one, it would be a Glock 26.

Top Bottom