• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I will admit to carrying a glock, but usually in the summer, and when I know I will be sweating alot.

I would feel terrible if I caused my 1911's to rust.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Its a Glock, simple, durable, and accurate. It doesnt leave much room for arguement. I have a g17 and LOVE IT. No problems what so ever. It goes bang everytime, and hits whatever is downrange. :rockwoot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Its a Glock, simple, durable, and accurate. It doesnt leave much room for arguement. I have a g17 and LOVE IT. No problems what so ever. It goes bang everytime, and hits whatever is downrange. :rockwoot:

While you won't get much argument over those particular attributes, they do apply to the vast majority of modern semi-autos.

It's a glock, XD, M&P, Sig, HK, FN, Hi-Point, Kahr, et al. They're simple, durable and accurate and it doesn't leave much room for argument. :twocents:

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I am a new member here, and I have seen a bunch of posts about 1911's, sigs, M&P's, etc. What I have not seen much of yet is posts about Glocks...

You apparently haven't read to many of these 1911's, sigs, M&Ps, etc posts because their always ends up being Glock comments in all of them. :laugh:

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    While you won't get much argument over those particular attributes, they do apply to the vast majority of modern semi-autos.

It's a glock, XD, M&P, Sig, HK, FN, Hi-Point, Kahr, et al. They're simple, durable and accurate and it doesn't leave much room for argument. :twocents:

So true. It's like a Honda Civic owner boasting that they get 30+ mpg and their car is sooo reliable while the Fusion, Camry, etc owners bite their tongues.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Picking the "right" handgun

:whistle: Another, my dog is better than your dog, battle begins.

My :twocents: are as follows.
    Best "bang for the buck" in handguns are, in no special order, XD/XDM, Glocks and S&W M&P's. You can pay more for sure, but you won't gain anything but a name. 1911's, can't argue with 100 years of knocking them down and dead history. 1911's can be just as reliable as the "top 3" ,but do not expect a $500 1911 to perform as reliable out of the box though, with premium SD ammo.

What I like or carry in no way means "that" is the correct pistol for you. First thing is to handle a bunch of different handguns and narrow the field down to those that are comfortable in your hand. Then of those narrow it further to the ones that naturally point on target well when thrust them into a shooting position. Once you get to this point go to a rental range and try those pistols out. If you follow these suggestions you will end up with a pistol you will enjoy shooting and that will make you a better shot. Using a pistol for defense is all about shot placement when under stress. The more you practice the more the entire process becomes instinctive. See where I am going with this.

Now comes the caliber debate, again my :twocents: is to pick the largest caliber you can shoot fast and accurate with, if that is a 9mm fine, if it is a 10mm fine or anywhere in between go with what you shoot the best.

lastly one has to consider ease of maintenance, availability of replacement parts as well as track record in the field when choosing a sidearm.

You will hear a lot of "if you can afford it buy a ______" opinions that lead will attempt to lead you to believe certain brands are way better due to their price. Unless those brands pass the selection steps I laid out before don't let the brand snob's sway your selection.

Follow these basic guidelines and you will end up with the "right" handgun for you!

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They are the sidearm of choice for many a government agency. Thats says something about em. My wife and i are happy with our G23 and G27. :D

Oh God, here we go with this again. Our Military uses the M9, so does that mean it's superior? Hell, before a lot of LE agencies adopted the Glock, a lot of them used the 92FS. When Glock was contracted, they had no one to compete with as far as a polymer framed striker fired pistol. Now, S&W is starting to win a lot of LE contracts, because there is competition in that spectrum!

:popcorn:

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    I have a glock 23 and love it. I grew up shooting my dads revolver and eventually glock 17 then glock 22 as their department upgraded. So I'll probably always own at least one glock. Buy I'm looking forward to shooting and eventually buying a 1911 to see what this whole "great trigger" thing is all about. I'd like to try other guns and expand my horizons but one thing that will always be there is the glock.

6 pages if comments in less than a day. Is that a record?

huskymt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Nevada
    I have a Gen3 19 & Gen4 23 and I do like the Gen4 much better. The grip has always been an issue for me with the Gen1-3 Glocks, but the Gen4 is much better and the new recoil spring smooths things out as well.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have a Gen3 19 & Gen4 23 and I do like the Gen4 much better. The grip has always been an issue for me with the Gen1-3 Glocks, but the Gen4 is much better and the new recoil spring smooths things out as well.

I never much cared for the Gen 1-3 grip either, I purchased a G17 when the Gen 4's came out and love it. Thinking about adding a G26 to the stable.

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    I wasn't a Glock fan at first. I carried a Sig P226 in .40 and that was enough for me. Polymer wasn't my style until I shot a Glock 17. Since then I have owned 12 different Glocks and currently carry a Gen G27 with me everyday.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have 1911's and Glocks. Worlds apart, but I love them all for their different attributes and characteristics, which is why I have them. Kinda reminds me of my kids. :)

Top Bottom