• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine may stay out. I have a gizmo I built that I normally use to hook up to my air compressor and drain my water heater under pressure in 5 minutes instead of waiting hours for gravity to drain it. I hooked it up to my lines in such a way that I was able to blow all the water out of the hoses

Scratch that. I have kids. One of those boneheads would get the brilliant idea to turn it on over the winter.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    About 4 years ago, I screwed up. There is a spigot on the back of the house that hooks to a line that comes out of the house above ground, and then goes underground to a frost-proof hydrant about 200 feet from the back door. One wonders why you use a frost proof hydrant when 30 inches of the line supply water to it is above ground. Yes, this is boneheaded and was the brainstorm of the guy who built and lived in the house (a reputable local builder). Of course, when building the house would have been the perfect time to have the line completely underground from inside the house, but....

Anyhoo, my screw up was not disconnecting the hose on the spigot at the house before winter. Winter went fine...but in the spring when my daughter went to use the hydrant to get water for the horse (all winter we haul it from the house), she turned it on and 20 minutes and over 100 gallons later, we discovered that the "frost free" spigot had burst between where it exits the house and where the shaft closes the valve 1 foot inside the house. Luckily, our basement was (and remains) unfinished.

Now, I just unhook the line at the house. A true "frost proof" system for water out back is on the list...but it's a long list.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's about that time again.
    If you know what's good for you, you'll pull your hose now, while you're thinking about it...

Every year I get a call (or 6) about a frozen spigot that has burst, and now "there's water EVERYWHERE!".
    If you leave a garden hose hooked up to the spigot, there is a very good chance that it could freeze and burst the lines.
    Weather forecast has us down in the 20's overnight in just a couple of days.

So, as a P.S.A., I'm here to tell you,
    "Go pull your hose..."

Thanks for the reminder. Don't usually have to think about it this early, but given the forecast I might just do that tomorrow if work is slow... and blow out the lines to the spigot that's out at the back of the property.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    About 4 years ago, I screwed up. There is a spigot on the back of the house that hooks to a line that comes out of the house above ground, and then goes underground to a frost-proof hydrant about 200 feet from the back door. One wonders why you use a frost proof hydrant when 30 inches of the line supply water to it is above ground. Yes, this is boneheaded and was the brainstorm of the guy who built and lived in the house (a reputable local builder). Of course, when building the house would have been the perfect time to have the line completely underground from inside the house, but....

Anyhoo, my screw up was not disconnecting the hose on the spigot at the house before winter. Winter went fine...but in the spring when my daughter went to use the hydrant to get water for the horse (all winter we haul it from the house), she turned it on and 20 minutes and over 100 gallons later, we discovered that the "frost free" spigot had burst between where it exits the house and where the shaft closes the valve 1 foot inside the house. Luckily, our basement was (and remains) unfinished.

Now, I just unhook the line at the house. A true "frost proof" system for water out back is on the list...but it's a long list.

I have a similar set up. Spigot on the back of the house, then a line (above ground) under the deck to another spigot on the outer edge of the deck, and an underground line from the house to the spigot at the back of the property. Shut off the valve inside to the outside spigots and opened the spigots, but didn't blow out the lines. The next spring when I turned the water on, the line running under the deck had burst and water was shooting up through the decking in two places. Had to cut 2 holes in the deck and replace the burst sections of copper pipe. Hasn't happened again! The only plus side was that it taught me how to sweat copper pipe/couplings.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad to see folks are taking this seriously. Terrible things can happen to those who fail to pull their hose in a timely fashion...
    And these are some of the most tedious jobs, as most are inside of a wall, or under a floor.
    Inside a crawl space is bad enough, but for those on a slab it can mean breaking up part of a concrete floor.
    NO-ONE wants THAT mess.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Glad to see folks are taking this seriously. Terrible things can happen to those who fail to pull their hose in a timely fashion...
    And these are some of the most tedious jobs, as most are inside of a wall, or under a floor.
    Inside a crawl space is bad enough, but for those on a slab it can mean breaking up part of a concrete floor.
    NO-ONE wants THAT mess.

You're tellin' me... I get grumpy and irritable. Oh wait... nevermind. :)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Disconnected my hoses this morning. Will blow the hoses out on my rest days sun/mon while im leaf blowing and prepping snow blower.

Top Bottom