• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I just put my hose back out yesterday to wash my car. What the heck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I put a QD on the hose still hanging on the house. I've washed vehicles and a few other things in the warm spots this year.

Washed the car on Chirstmas day, in shorts and tshirt.

Reactions: Leo

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not specifically about cold weather and pulling hoses, but recently had this scenario: If you are purchasing a home and hire a home inspector, make sure the home inspector disconnects any hoses on outside bibs to check for leaks. My inspector did not as they don't like to move stuff, etc but in my case, not removing the hose, caused him to miss a dripping exterior faucet. Not the biggest deal and usually they can be rebuilt, but in my case the faucet could not be rebuilt and had to be replaced. Again not a huge deal, and luckily mine could be accessed from an unfinished area of the basement, and the pipe cut, and new hose bib/faucet pipe sweated, etc, but could have been more involved had it not been accessible in this way. Anyway, just a public service announcement, albeit for a specific circumstance.

Luckily I caught it when I went to winterize some things and cover the outside hose bibs with insulators, etc and noticed it, which was just after we purchased the house.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm sure the water company will be telling you any day now.

Most water companies will reduce an inflated water bill if you can provide them with proof of payment for repairs.
    They will usually take the sewage charges off, since the "leaked" water usually doesn't make it down a drain.

I had a customer a couple of years ago that discovered a water leak upon their return from vacation.
    They had a 3/4" line burst, and sprayed water for almost a month!
    They received a water bill for more than $800.

When they presented my bill to the water company, their bill was reduced by almost $500.
    It's worth a try.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Did mine last week. I could still wash my car if I were so inclined due to the weird setup in my garage. In the 90's, they added the garage to the front of the house, and the hose that used to be on the outside wall of the house is now on the inside wall of the garage. I don't do anything to that one because it never gets below about 44 degrees in the garage.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    It's about that time again.
    If you know what's good for you, you'll pull your hose now, while you're thinking about it...

Every year I get a call (or 6) about a frozen spigot that has burst, and now "there's water EVERYWHERE!".
    If you leave a garden hose hooked up to the spigot, there is a very good chance that it could freeze and burst the lines.
    Weather forecast has us down in the 20's overnight in just a couple of days.

So, as a P.S.A., I'm here to tell you,
    "Go pull your hose..."
    Thanks for the reminder!! Last year my neighbor pulled mine off because I kept forgetting.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Turned off outside water this past week, and drained them and put the covers on. Irrigation system was blown out this past week as well.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did mine last week. I could still wash my car if I were so inclined due to the weird setup in my garage. In the 90's, they added the garage to the front of the house, and the hose that used to be on the outside wall of the house is now on the inside wall of the garage. I don't do anything to that one because it never gets below about 44 degrees in the garage.
    I've got one in the garage as well. I haven't tested to see if it still runs water when the outside water is turned off or not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was just getting ready to post this up again this year but I see someone revived last year's thread.
    Go pull your hoses folks...

Top Bottom