• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Too funny. Like I said, I`m an NRA Life-Endowment member, but I much prefer GOA, period. You`re all obviously entitled to your opinions, but neither of us is right or wrong. You keep settling with NRA all you like, I`ll keep moving with GOA.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This sums up the thread to this point.
    [video=youtube;GCdEp3860vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCdEp3860vI[/video]

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I don't get any mailings or emails for money or products from NRA, but I get alerts from ILA regularly.

I have nothing against GOA, but your OP seemed argumentative, Gregr.

Argumentative? Not the intent at all. Stating my opinion is all. You could want to consider what in the world would let you read it to be argumentative...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yes, that is how mass mailings and fund raising work. If they were not effective, they would not transpire.

What on earth is GOA better at? GOA is invisible on Capitol Hill and in the states.

Give us example of GOA doing something better than NRA.

Invisible based on what? Clearly you know nothing about GOA.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    10 people see a baseless assertion, but we are all wrong.
    You made a claim that you are either unwilling or unable to back up.
    The opportunity to give us reasons to change our minds is yours.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Gregr, I believe the intent of those asking why are merely curious, as am I, as to what your reasons are for feeling this way? There's no expectation of forcing you to justify your opinion, as you are entitled to it, but are curious as to what lead you to that opinion. See it as a chance to bring others around to your point of view and, possibly, add support for GOA!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Gregr, I believe the intent of those asking why are merely curious, as am I, as to what your reasons are for feeling this way? There's no expectation of forcing you to justify your opinion, as you are entitled to it, but are curious as to what lead you to that opinion. See it as a chance to bring others around to your point of view and, possibly, add support for GOA!

First of all, to address an earlier comment, I don`t give a damn how many think I`m making a "baseless assertion", I feel the way I do, and that`s my opinion.

But to your point, NRA seems to believe the Second Amendment is theirs to bargain with, IMO. NRA has endorsed legislation in the past that was no friend to gun owners, IMO. GOA works hard, I feel partially because they`re smaller and they know they must work harder to gain and keep support. GOA dosen`t compromise, IMO. GOA contacts me frequently with news and updates on new gun-friendly bills, and even emails pre-printed letters to email to your elected employees should you want to use that.
    No, GOA doesn`t have certified instructors. No GOA doesn`t have the base NRA does. But in my opinion, GOA is much, much better than NRA because they are dug in, and don`t often compromise. But that`s just my opinion, not an assertion of any kind. Jeez.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How to communicate on INGO, lesson 4.

If you make a statement of fact, you will be question.

Example:
    John Cornyn Introduces Concealed Carry Reciprocity in the Senate | Current Alerts

GOA is head and shoulders above NRA. Participate and take action.
    Rather than just posting the alert, Gregr added a statement of fact, "GOA is head and shoulders above NRA."
    But, why? One can assume to promote the GOA. But rather than saying, "I prefer the GOA over the NRA", he chose to phrase it with a concrete statement of fact; there's no ambiguity here.

After the inevitable questioning, he couches his statement with, "IMO" (in my opinion):
    GOA sends emails and mailers monthly, or oftentimes more frequently, in regards to legislation involving gun rights, and the only thing NRA sends is donation requests. I`m a Life-Endowment NRA member, and have been a member for more than 38 years, but IMO, GOA is head and shoulders better than NRA.

Then he's perplexed at the INGO dogpile that was so clear to everyone else:
    Argumentative? Not the intent at all. Stating my opinion is all. You could want to consider what in the world would let you read it to be argumentative...

:ingo:

The lesson to be learned is to never state your opinion in such a way that the normative interpretation is that you are making a factual statement; especially on such issues where you are in the minority.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    How to communicate on INGO, lesson 4.

If you make a statement of fact, you will be question.

Example:

Rather than just posting the alert, Gregr added a statement of fact, "GOA is head and shoulders above NRA."
    But, why? One can assume to promote the GOA. But rather than saying, "I prefer the GOA over the NRA", he chose to phrase it with a concrete statement of fact; there's no ambiguity here.

After the inevitable questioning, he couches his statement with, "IMO" (in my opinion):

Then he's perplexed at the INGO dogpile that was so clear to everyone else:

:ingo:

The lesson to be learned is to never state your opinion in such a way that the normative interpretation is that you are making a factual statement; especially on such issues where you are in the minority.

The lesson I learned was to not assume that adults have the reasoning abilities you gave them credit for.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That's mature.

You can be a good guy most of the time, communication is difficult, sometimes we make a faux pas and we must man up and face it or defend the indefensible.

Top Bottom