• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ok, I am an Illinois LEO. I have had similar experiances with Indiana State LEO's. On one occassion, I had the trooper take both of my firearms back to his car, unload them and field strip them. I was wondering if any Indiana LEO can tell me why? I understand that no Officer wants to deal with someone when they know that they are armed but, even if the person is another Officer?

Apearently you are no more trustworthy than anyone else... ;)

Why should it matter if the person is an LEO or not. I am Active Military I would venture to say that few LEO's have as much experience than I have with weapons. However since I do not have a badge, I am less trusted. :dunno:

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok, I am an Illinois LEO. I have had similar experiances with Indiana State LEO's. On one occassion, I had the trooper take both of my firearms back to his car, unload them and field strip them. I was wondering if any Indiana LEO can tell me why? I understand that no Officer wants to deal with someone when they know that they are armed but, even if the person is another Officer?

leo or not, you're still a civilian

....and why did you offer to him/her that you were carrying in the first place

Shankdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Oh, I'm going there!

How in the hell was this a good experience? Is it okay for him to rape your rights as long as he smiles while he does it? Have you heard of the 2nd and 4th amendments to to Constitution? Guess what, they apply to you!

Also, have you considered the fact that your gun, left alone in your holster, has a very, very, very little chance of firing? When you get it out and hand it to the officer, not only is it most likely going to point at one of you, but the chance of the firearm going off is also now in play. Add the fact that cops aren't gun smiths, so they possibly don't know exactly how to operate your gun while they are "making it safe" and you could be explaining why your gun was responsible for shooting a cop.

So all in all, it looks like your rights were violated and a dangerous situation was created when not necessary. Not exactly sure why this is considered a good encounter?:dunno:

Could anyone enlighten my as to why what happened was good, because if it was, I would like to know how I am looking at this wrong...

I can say from my own experience that any time someone volunteered the fact that they were carrying, it almost always got them a warning. As another poster said, I appreciated them being open and upfront with me, and it usually got them a pass.

However, I did usually take their gun with me back to my car. 1) To run it to make sure it wasn't stolen and 2) to take it out of their hands. I normally would have them remove it from their holster/under their seat/wherever it was using just their pinky and thumb. I know it sounds dumb but it was a trick I was taught early on that makes it very difficult for someone to use their gun aggressively. Or at least not before I could use mine. That way, their gun was in my control. I often returned it to them with the magazine out and if there was a round in the chamber it would be back in the mag. That way they can't just immediately turn around and shoot me in the back as I walk back to my car.

But in direct reply to your constitutional questions, those are laughable. I don't think the framers of the constitution would consider being without your gun for the four minutes necessary to issue a ticket a real infringement of your right to belong to a regulated militia. Especially during what we are to assume was a legal traffic stop.

As for your odd gun contention (that the police are not gunsmiths), that is true, we are not. But I would say 95% of handguns fall into two broad categories that definitely don't cross into rocket science. Taking the bullets/mag out is not akin to breaking it down to all its components. Again, a rather laughable contention.

All in all, I'm glad the OP's interaction was positive. I suppose the only way it could have been better is if it were a warning he issued instead of a ticket :):

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I can say from my own experience that any time someone volunteered the fact that they were carrying, it almost always got them a warning. As another poster said, I appreciated them being open and upfront with me, and it usually got them a pass. I just love it when law officials use prejudice in their job.

However, I did usually take their gun with me back to my car. 1) To run it to make sure it wasn't stolen and 2) to take it out of their hands. I normally would have them remove it from their holster/under their seat/wherever it was using just their pinky and thumb. I know it sounds dumb but it was a trick I was taught early on that makes it very difficult for someone to use their gun aggressively. Or at least not before I could use mine. That way, their gun was in my control. I often returned it to them with the magazine out and if there was a round in the chamber it would be back in the mag. That way they can't just immediately turn around and shoot me in the back as I walk back to my car.

I can't find a single thing in the above paragraph that has to do with protect and serve. All I see is "I'm a cop. You aren't. Do what I say. You have no rights right now. I should not only have the upper hand to kill you, but will take away your defenses. I'm a cop. I will mess with your **** and you can't do anything about it."

But in direct reply to your constitutional questions, those are laughable. I find people that find the Constitution laughable, laughable. I don't think the framers of the constitution would consider being without your gun for the four minutes necessary to issue a ticket a real infringement of your right to belong to a regulated militia. 2nd applies to private citizens, it does not say you have the right to belong to a regulated militia. Have you ever read the 2nd amendment? Look it up real quick then let us know what the last 4 words are. Especially during what we are to assume was a legal traffic stop.

As for your odd gun contention (that the police are not gunsmiths), that is true, we are not. But I would say 95% of handguns fall into two broad categories that definitely don't cross into rocket science. This stuff isn't fiction, there are members of this board that have have been put in danger by officers not knowing how to handle their firearm. Taking the bullets/mag out is not akin to breaking it down to all its components. Again, a rather laughable contention. So its safer to fiddle f*** with putting rounds back in my magazine than not unloading it in the first place?

All in all, I'm glad the OP's interaction was positive. I suppose the only way it could have been better is if it were a warning he issued instead of a ticket :):

My comments in red.

Looks like you are one of the lost causes. Something sparked the thought that you are superior to your fellow man, and it turned into a wildfire. I mean, you find the Constitution, the very thing you swore to protect, laughable. Things like this are why people are losing hope for this nation...

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    Oh, I'm going there!

How in the hell was this a good experience? Is it okay for him to rape your rights as long as he smiles while he does it? Have you heard of the 2nd and 4th amendments to to Constitution? Guess what, they apply to you!

Also, have you considered the fact that your gun, left alone in your holster, has a very, very, very little chance of firing? When you get it out and hand it to the officer, not only is it most likely going to point at one of you, but the chance of the firearm going off is also now in play. Add the fact that cops aren't gun smiths, so they possibly don't know exactly how to operate your gun while they are "making it safe" and you could be explaining why your gun was responsible for shooting a cop.

So all in all, it looks like your rights were violated and a dangerous situation was created when not necessary. Not exactly sure why this is considered a good encounter?:dunno:

Could anyone enlighten my as to why what happened was good, because if it was, I would like to know how I am looking at this wrong...

You mean you dont clear your firearm before handing it to another party?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I can say from my own experience that any time someone volunteered the fact that they were carrying, it almost always got them a warning. As another poster said, I appreciated them being open and upfront with me, and it usually got them a pass.

But in direct reply to your constitutional questions, those are laughable. I don't think the framers of the constitution would consider being without your gun for the four minutes necessary to issue a ticket a real infringement of your right to belong to a regulated militia. Especially during what we are to assume was a legal traffic stop.

As for your odd gun contention (that the police are not gunsmiths), that is true, we are not. But I would say 95% of handguns fall into two broad categories that definitely don't cross into rocket science. Taking the bullets/mag out is not akin to breaking it down to all its components. Again, a rather laughable contention.

:facepalm::blahblah:

This is precisely the reason I don't offer the information. While there are plenty of LEOs that respect our rights but too many have a total disregard. I give up my primary only if asked if there are weapons present. I never disclose my back-up. "Shall not be infringed" means don't touch my gun.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm going to stay out of this one, but I will make but ONE request.

If you guys want to b***h at each other about who is right and who's ba**s are bigger..........either take it to another thread or by PM. The OP thought his encounter was a positive one so in light of that it matters not what anyone else thinks, those that agree with him or those that don't.

I honestly don't mind the debating or the disagreeing, what I do mind is when the OP posts a thread about how HE thought it was a good encounter and others come in and :poop: on what he thought was a good encounter.

Grow up and be happy for the OP that he had what he thought was a good encounter even if you think it was an abonmination.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm going to stay out of this one, but I will make but ONE request.

If you guys want to b***h at each other about who is right and who's ba**s are bigger..........either take it to another thread or by PM. The OP thought his encounter was a positive one so in light of that it matters not what anyone else thinks, those that agree with him or those that don't.

I honestly don't mind the debating or the disagreeing, what I do mind is when the OP posts a thread about how HE thought it was a good encounter and others come in and :poop: on what he thought was a good encounter.

Grow up and be happy for the OP that he had what he thought was a good encounter even if you think it was an abonmination.

He was willing to open his experience up for discussion or he wouldn't have posted it on a message board.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If you guys want to b***h at each other about who is right and who's ba**s are bigger..........

It's rapidly becoming the way here.

This is why some people won't express an opinion. Unless it's a mirror to the ideas of some...they can expect a public bashing or ridicule.

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

So, no concern about someone handing you a firearm with a round in the chamber in this manner?

Never been in this situation myself, but if requested I would politely request that I be allowed to drop the mag and clear the chamber (while pointed at the passenger floorboard...I'm usually alone in my car) before handing it over with the action locked open, in the interest of officer safety (mine, more so), of course.

Last edited:

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    He was willing to open his experience up for discussion or he wouldn't have posted it on a message board.

I read his OP as just posting about what he thought as a good expierece not as an open invitation for others to tell him how wrong he was. I re-read the OP and saw nothing typed as a question or him asking anyone for their opinion on what happened. Does everything posted here need a multi-page discussion on what everyone thinks about it? Personally I dont think so, but I guess that's just my opinion.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just not in this thread apparently.

I guess OP's should put a disclaimer at the bottom of their thread that says its ok to post in the thread? edit: or not.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

IBTL

No, actually you are right. Everyone is allowed their own opinion and allowed to freely express that opinion whenever they want. So with that.....post away whatever whenever you want.

It's just a little disheartening to me because we (some of the more vocal LEO's around here) have been asked for the good of the forum to refrain from posting material in some threads that might further the "us vs them" viewpoint. I know a bunch of us have done just that......stayed out of most of those threads.

I'm sure someone will be able to find some threads where we have had a moment of fail when it comes to self control, but by far it's better than it has been in the past.

I understand when someone comes in posting about a negative LEO news story or something saw or personally had happen to them and then the posts and slams start, most of the time they deserve it. But for me when someone comes in here and posts something that they thought was good and then to have it torn apart and s**t on.........I don't know, just kind of cheapens it for me.

So long and short of it is.........post whatever you want whenever you want and try and forgive me for when/if I have a moment of relapse and post something you don't agree with.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So, no concern about someone handing you a firearm with a round in the chamber in this manner?

Never been in this situation myself, but if requested I would politely request that I be allowed to drop the mag and clear the chamber (while pointed at the passenger floorboard...I'm usually alone in my car) before handing it over with the action locked open, in the interest of officer safety (mine, more so), of course.

I'm willing to bet Shankdog would have a gun in your face PDQ.

Personally, the fingerprinting and background check that we've gone through to get the license in the first place should tell the popo that we can be trusted.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country

I asked the officer if I should clear it first, or even just pop the cylinder and he said nope just hand it to him.

Now at the gunshow if you hand the officer a loaded weapon......

Top Bottom