• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    With the 1500 around the corner I have decided that I need a couple extra folder knives to leave in bags but don't want to break the bank. These will be for my camping bags and car bag in case I am caught without a knife and need one. I bought a couple of the RAT folders for $20 or so and they were pretty good and I still carry one now. I would like something in at least a 3in blade and would prefer 4in since these will be used when I am camping or to give someone to use while out. Also, there is this guy on here who sells folders so I figured I would throw him some business so something he might have in stock would be good:D

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    he also sells benchmades, the griptillians can be had for good prices. and i am a huge spyderco advocate so. i say get with brad at the show and just check them out find the ones that come in a good price you like the best and grab a couple :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    he also sells benchmades, the griptillians can be had for good prices. and i am a huge spyderco advocate so. i say get with brad at the show and just check them out find the ones that come in a good price you like the best and grab a couple :)

It's hard to beat the Benchmade Grips, but if you want to spend just a little more, take a look at the Benchmade Rift models. I personally have a 950 Rift that I like, just don't carry it much. For harder use, I think it's the next level up from a Griptillian.:twocents:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    With the 1500 around the corner I have decided that I need a couple extra folder knives to leave in bags but don't want to break the bank. These will be for my camping bags and car bag in case I am caught without a knife and need one. I bought a couple of the RAT folders for $20 or so and they were pretty good and I still carry one now. I would like something in at least a 3in blade and would prefer 4in since these will be used when I am camping or to give someone to use while out. Also, there is this guy on here who sells folders so I figured I would throw him some business so something he might have in stock would be good:D

Those RAT folders are amazing knives. I think it's the best folding knife for the money there is.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA

Yep I am sure he appreciates your loyalty and support since he is a paid advertiser on here. :yesway:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    +1 for a Spyderco.

The Enduras and Delicas are great, but since you specifically mentioned wanting a larger blade for tasks such as camping it's hard to beat the Tenacious for value in that price range.

If you get one - be aware this knife comes scary sharp from the factory.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Ok, let me ask this question in this thread since I started it:D

What makes the big difference between a $40 folder and a $100 folder? The reason I ask is that you see a lot of inexpensive folders with good joints and quality steel. So what should I really be watching for?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Ok, let me ask this question in this thread since I started it:D

What makes the big difference between a $40 folder and a $100 folder? The reason I ask is that you see a lot of inexpensive folders with good joints and quality steel. So what should I really be watching for?

steel, materials, and fit and finish. and it depends on your definition of quality steel.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    1095 is a good carbon steel, holds an edge alright and is easy to field sharpen which is a big reason it's popular in outdoor/survival type knives.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    I carry a $100 folder. I love my Spyderco Dragonfly too much. I don't baby it, though!

I buy ka-bar doziers (mostly mini's) for my different bags. I have 4 now. I even bought a pink one for my mom, who uses it in daily hospital work. These knives can be had for $20-$30 depending on style, and they are really good.

What's the difference between them? My spyderco will cut though things much easier, and I know it will last at least twice as long as the ka-bar dozier because it's well designed and does not compromise price for materials (well... to some degree I suppose). My .02.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    1095 is a good carbon steel, holds an edge alright and is easy to field sharpen which is a big reason it's popular in outdoor/survival type knives.

Yes, I don't think I've seen a folding knife made of 1095... I always see it used in the bigger knives like my ESEE RD6 Bush.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well when you start comparing knives by how they cut things better that has more to do with the type of grind used and thickness of the blade, steel also comes into play.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    well when you start comparing knives by how they cut things better that has more to do with the type of grind used and thickness of the blade, steel also comes into play.

I agree, it's a complicated analysis that I don't really get into. I'm no expert! But trust me, my spyderco dragonfly cuts better than my ka-bar dozier. At that price difference, I don't think that's too crazy to assume, either!

Top Bottom