• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Can some of you people that have experience with motorcycles help me out on this one?

I have never owned a motorcycle before but have wanted one for a while. I would like to get something that is good for a beginner. I don't want anything that fancy for the first bike, but just something that is reliable.

I have heard the old adage that your first bike should be $1000 and you should ride 1000 miles before you get something else.

I plan on taking a motorcycle safety course in the future but they are booked well into June/July.

Ultimately, I would like some recommendations on good first bikes and what they approximately would cost.

Thanks!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    What's your experience level so far?? Have you ridden anything on two wheels before? (Don't laugh, when I took my motorcycle course years ago there was a guy who couldn't ride a bike..) Ever been on a scooter, dirt bike, anything??

How tall are you?? What's your inseam??

For a first bike, I prefer something that's short enough to flat-foot comfortably. Once you've got some experience it's not so bad to tip-toe if you need to, but for a new rider, it's confidence building to have both feet flat on the ground.

I also like a light bike that's not too hard to hold up or maneuver. I've been on bikes on and off for years, everything from 50cc dirt bikes to 1000cc sport-tour bikes. For just starting out, I'd go 250 to 500cc, personally.. they're light, easy to control, and a good starting point for a new rider. I'd also look for something used, because you're probably going to drop it if you ride much. It sucks to drop your new bike and scratch it up. (it sucks even more to flip it over when you try and stand it back up, too..)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm certainly no expert, having owned only one motorcycle. There are two questions I have. How big a guy are you, i.e. weight and height? The other question is whether or not you are always going to ride on the street with your new bike. You need a motorcycle that has enough power to easily carry you without being so much that it can get away from you. The second question will determine what kind of bike you want.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Not to jack the thread but I'd love some of this advice if you don't mind Mr. Mysterious.

I'm 5'11 with a 34" inseam. 185lbs. I have ridden dirt bikes and the like. I would like to get a cruiser. Most of my riding will NOT be in town due to the fact I live in the country. I'd like to get an American bike that I can keep for a while. Is 7k too much to spend on a new bike. I am considering a victory. I don't want to hot rod around. Just ride with buddies, go to bike nights. Also, how long before I should let my lady ride with me?

Thanks!

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    6'4" and 240.

I'm certainly no expert, having owned only one motorcycle. There are two questions I have. How big a guy are you, i.e. weight and height? The other question is whether or not you are always going to ride on the street with your new bike. You need a motorcycle that has enough power to easily carry you without being so much that it can get away from you. The second question will determine what kind of bike you want.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    EDIT just saw the above post.

I'm 6' 1" and 220 and could comfortable ride the below. YMMV.

Without more info I would throw the
    Suzuki GS500 out there.

There are older models (new ones have full farings)

Suzuki%20GS500.jpg

I don't know what style you are going for but these
    are a standard.

Light, easy to gain confidence on,
    depending on the condition it will not bug you when you drop it. :n00b:
    Almost everyone does, they will get away from you sooner or later.
    No biggie. :yesway:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have ridden since age 5 or so. My question would be what type of bike do you want to ride(if that is an issue)? I grew up on dirt bikes. Then as a teenager I got a CBR(crotch rocket)that I rode into my 20s. When it finally hit me that I needed a Harley. I now have a 1975 FXE and Grumpe has a 1974 FLH. For a first bike or on a budget I would recommend somthing like a 650 honda.Very easy to control.I can not reccomend the smaller rebel for a guy your size(my mom...all 100lbs of her rides a rebel).Try on a few bikes. Take a few test rides,and see what "fits".883 Harley would also be a good first bike.

45CalJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How about an older Honda CB 500-750? Cheaper used and way easy to work on, and parts are everywhere.

Agreed, my first bike back in '94 was a '79 Honda CB 400, and I loved that bike. Paid $500 for it and wish I still had it today. Very solid platform to learn on whether you want to go sport or touring.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Find a used Ducati Monster:

FS: 2002 Monster 620ie Custom Paint $4295
    Originally a Dark model, but decided to have it professionally painted in Silver with Black stripe along fender and gastank due to a blemish on the gastank and an excuse to change the bland color! 5k miles. Never dropped, excellent condition, totally stock. Clean GA title, toolkit, red key, manual etc. Napolean mirrors fitted. Fantastic bike great for either a starter bike or to blast in the mountains...suprisingly quick for such a little Monster. $4295. Located Nr Atlanta in Cumming GA.
    620Monster_9.jpg

620Monster_1.jpg

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    My first bike was the one I have for sale in the classifieds. Everyone told me a 750cc was too much to start out on but I did just fine.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I would LOVE to have that monster! Too bad i need to upgrade the 4 wheels before i can get just 2. Plus, it would be my first bike, and i follow the school that you're going to drop your first one, so don't drop a pretty one.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Pick up something used for $2000 or less. Take your time. I am a fan of Suzuki sportbikes, so the sv650 is great. The older katanas are wonderfull starters.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    LOL thats exactly what I have for sale a '92 Katana :rockwoot:

That is what I started on, well a 88 600. Great bike. Comfortable seating position for longr rides but still sporty, plunty fast for a starter bike. And if you like the sport bikes the styling is very similar.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    It's a hard answer and one very specific to an individual.

First advice: Go do an ABATE class. It can be a refresher to old riders and a great beginning for new riders. You'll learn more about what you think you want from this weekend class.

I do believe you'll want something different within a few thousand miles of your first purchase. Some people like the idea of a little 250cc for the first bike. I don't. If you don't understand the limitations of a little bike like that, you can get yourself in trouble. I kinda think the little bikes, if ridden like a big bike, are dangerous. In my opinion only, you've got no business riding a GX250 on the 465, even it does have a max speed of ~72mph. Evasion of trouble is a big part of being safe on a bike.

A minimum of 40-45hp (loses the Rebels of the world) is good. Also, lightweight bikes are REALLY squirrelly in the wind or from semi-truck blast.

Sorry, no good answer. Try a few, get something that feels comfortable. If you've got the money, the SV650 is a good start. If you like sport bikes, maybe a Katana. I understand they're heavy and forgiving for a first bike. In cruisers, maybe one of the Shadow 750s or Yamaha 650s.

My opinion only - not a "right" answer.

Best of luck, stay safe and GO DO A CLASS. ;)

(Background: A couple of bikes as a teen: 500 and 650cc standard Hondas. Both "flying" transverse V-twins. Jump forward twenty years and an ABATE class. Another 650 v-twin Honda. I put 6,000 miles on my first year. I sold it and bought a 750 Honda Magna V-4. S-L-O-W compared to sport bikes. At 90+HP, screaming fast compared to most cruisers with the exception only of say a Valkyrie, Warrior or V-Rod. 7,000+ miles last year and going into this year with 50 miles round-trip commutes to work during most of the season. All of this and I'm still a newbie. Others will be able to help more.)

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Which kind of motorcycle are you looking for, crotch rocket or cruiser. I started on a 01 GSXR750 but that was because I got a good deal on it. I would think a cruiser would be much more comfortable for a man of your size. Maybe a Honda VTX or something like that being 240 though, you are gonna want a decent size bike or you may not even like riding it.

Top Bottom