• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't know of anyone who has owned a motorcycle that hasn't laid it down. Always keep your headlight on, wear a helmet, eye protection and leather gloves. Usually when you think you have "that horse rode" you will become overconfident and dangerous. Another thing is that you can't control the idiot drivers...you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones who roll through stop signs, run red lights, cut you off, and are wrapped up in cell phone conversations. You have to anticipate the idiots to do the wrong thing all the time. Heck, even the good and careful drivers don't see you sometimes and pull out in front of you or cut you off.

I really liked riding my motorcycle when I lived in southwest Texas. I'm not so sure I'd like riding it in Hoosier weather.

Keep us abreast of what you decide to get.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    well i'm 5'8" 175 and handeled this just fine...not meant to look "macho" just to prove my point....

900rr.jpg

as with many other things in life common sense prevails. I say buy what you like and get out and ride it.

(98 cbr900RR)

thats actually a good example of why cc's don't matter. The 98 900 puts out about 110-111 RWHP, which is what a modern 600 sportbike does nowadays.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I think that I would prefer a something along the lines of a Yamaha FZ6 eventually, but for now I'll see if I can find something in the $1000-1500 range. It seems like the bikes in that range have already depreciated all that they are going to and when I sell I'll be able to get my money back on it.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I think that I would prefer a something along the lines of a Yamaha FZ6 eventually, but for now I'll see if I can find something in the $1000-1500 range. It seems like the bikes in that range have already depreciated all that they are going to and when I sell I'll be able to get my money back on it.

If your thinking of the FZ6, check out the Suzuki V-strom 650. They run around the same price as the FZ6 and have a larger aftermarket support.

With the starter bike, You should be able to find a good bike for that price range.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If your thinking of the FZ6, check out the Suzuki V-strom 650. They run around the same price as the FZ6 and have a larger aftermarket support.

With the starter bike, You should be able to find a good bike for that price range.

I definitely wouldn't go with the FZ6 as a starter bike. I am thinking it could be my second.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I definitely wouldn't go with the FZ6 as a starter bike. I am thinking it could be my second.

I ment that for the 1500 price range that finding a starter bike should not be an issue.

As for the second bike, The FZ6 or the V-strom650. But if you do come across a FZ6/V-strom from 1500.00 let me know :D

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Holy thread resurrection!!! But worth it...

I finally took and completed the ABATE class a few weeks ago. I loved it and I was one of two people who "bit it" and wrecked the beck. The class mostly had little 125cc bikes for the class... red and white Suzuki bikes that looked to be 30 years old. They also had 4 or so bikes that were Suzuki cruiser style bikes that were 250ccs. I picked the only grey one in the class and it had maybe 150 miles on it.

They were trying to teach us how to do figure eights in first gear at nominal speed and I either turned too sharp (what I think) or released the clutch too fast (what the instructor said) and flipped the bike. I was okay... at the end of that lesson, they asked me what I learned. I told them... helmets work!!!

I'm still looking for a very inexpensive bike. I'd love a Ducati 696 Monster... but that's not an inexpensive... and I'd be terrified to drop something so artful.

I'm not sure what size to get either. 250 was very, very slow... but like the other poster said... its more HP and weight/torque?

All my hobbies are expensive...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My first bike was a 600 sport bike. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with a liter bike. The 600 couldn't get past 150 (wasn't a current model). Helmets are for sissies!!! Next bike will most likely be a shovelhead lowrider or maybe something like the xl forty-eight.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First bike was a 84 kz 550, fun little bike. Now my daily rider is 75 Honda cb 750. Bit it 2 years ago, helmets and a good jacked saved me. Well all but my knee, blew my acl. I will take that over brain damage, or being dead. I don't care who you are, you are bound to wreck at some point. It is a numbers game, there are just too many idiots on the road. So wear a helmet, and good riding gear. Have fun with whatever you get.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I ride lots of irrelevant miles on two wheels and a member of the Iron Butt Assoc. Here is my advice-
    1st and foremost- Experience level vs. motorcycle type/size has little to do with anything. The most important thing you can do as any type of rider is to take a class put on by MSF, Abate, or any other organization that is geared toward proper riding mechanics. These class's are very cheap especially when you take in consideration the knowledge you learn will save your life (and they will). I take the beginner course every year.
    2nd- When you say (we) do you mean you and your spouse. If the answer to this is yes, than she should be in that class with you. Whether she plans on riding alone or not, a passenger that has the knowledge the rider has will help two fold. They need to know what to do and when to do it just like you. For instance- What do you and her do if you need to slam on the breaks at 50 mph or more due to a small animal? What if you you need to surmount that animal?
    3rd- No passenger until you take this course
    4th- No motorcycle is a beginner motorcycle. They are all equally dangerous, yes some are more difficult to ride than others. Thats why you need this class.
    5th- If you mean beginner bike as in cheaper to start. Well that means you will probably have to sell it for less than you paid for it.
    6th-Much like guns, do lots of research on type of bike you want. They all fit different and more importantly different types of bikes have different expense's in maintenance.

BTW-those class's all say they are sold out. You can get into these class's by doing what they call riding standbye. This mean you go as if your in the class tell them your standing by. Most of the time they will put you in.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Good tips and advice on riding and abate...

My first bike was an 1982 Yamaha xj650, I kick myself every day for selling it. stupid easy to ride, comfortable, and cheap(for the most part). If any noob come across one, get it as a first bike. As I mentioned, I want to get a ducati s2r 800cc or a ducati m900...my wife says she wants to ride with me, but seeing how she criticizes my driving, i don't know.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My first motorcycle was a 1984 Honda V65 Magna (1100cc DOHC, water cooled, 4 cylinder, 116 hp, shaft drive) that I bought in 1990.
    I took the ABATE course right after buying it.

This bike was a bit of a handful at first, as I'd only ridden a 125cc trail bike a couple of times in high school, and a Honda 350 once about 10 years previously.
    BUT I was careful and took it easy and the only wreck I ever had with it was tipping it over ONCE doing a slow U-Turn on a country road.

I sold the V65 Magna in 1994.

Bought my second (and current) bike in 2008.
    A 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 performance touring bike (1300cc DOHC, 4 cylinder, fuel injected, water cooled 145hp, shaft drive)

I'm 6'1" with a 34 " inseam, somewhat muscular, and being careful, I've not had problems with riding powerful bikes without a bunch of riding experience and owning several interim bikes.
    The KEY is, take the ABATE course, and don't get stupid with a bike that has the performance to easily kill you if you push it beyond your abilities.

I qualify that by saying that if I'd had this Yamaha FJR1300 when I was a kid, I'd have killed myself on it very soon after buying it, because I thought I was "indestructible" and didn't have the sense to not try stupid things on it. LOL :-)

But at 55, I have a little more sense in having fun with it, BUT understanding my limitations.
    AND always working at improving my riding skills.

I love this bike, wouldn't have any other, and have never regretted buying it.
    ALSO, the power and handling have saved my life more than once, like a week ago Friday night when some nut in Brownsburg intentionally tried to hit me with their car, and all I had was acceleration to get out of their way..

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I finally took and completed the ABATE class a few weeks ago. I loved it and I was one of two people who "bit it" and wrecked the beck. The class mostly had little 125cc bikes for the class... red and white Suzuki bikes that looked to be 30 years old. They also had 4 or so bikes that were Suzuki cruiser style bikes that were 250ccs. I picked the only grey one in the class and it had maybe 150 miles on it.

They were trying to teach us how to do figure eights in first gear at nominal speed and I either turned too sharp (what I think) or released the clutch too fast (what the instructor said) and flipped the bike. I was okay... at the end of that lesson, they asked me what I learned. I told them... helmets work!!!

I'm still looking for a very inexpensive bike. I'd love a Ducati 696 Monster... but that's not an inexpensive... and I'd be terrified to drop something so artful.

I'm not sure what size to get either. 250 was very, very slow... but like the other poster said... its more HP and weight/torque?

Look around for a slightly older Monster 620. Great bikes, I had one a few years ago. 50+mpg, quick enough, and comfortable enough. Parts are relatively plentiful for them as well.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/monsters-sale/

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My first bike was a 600 sport bike. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with a liter bike. The 600 couldn't get past 150 (wasn't a current model). Helmets are for sissies!!! Next bike will most likely be a shovelhead lowrider or maybe something like the xl forty-eight.

a liter sportbike, like an R1? I STRONGLY recommend against going liter for a first timer.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Well, how big are you and do you know what kind of riding you'd like to do, or what style or bike you like? (Cruiser vs Touring/Standard vs sport) There are also tweener bikes for all those categories.

Top Bottom