• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Agree with Rob. Take someone with you that knows how to spot the obvious signs of neglect and wear.

Also agree with ATOMonkey. Bike people are generally good people.

I'm also going to chime in here and say don't go for something just because it's inexpensive. In general, people tend to buy very small bikes for their first one. Really, a good medium size bike will ride better and is actually easier to handle. For a first bike, look for a used Honda Shadow or maybe a Yamaha V-Star classic. Both are good bikes with excellent reputations and decent resale.

Yes, I like Harley, but don't think it's a great first bike for all.

Good luck!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Try to find a friend that knows the stuff to look for: Leaky fork seals, tire condition, oil condition, jetting problems, evidence of crash damage, bent wheels, frames, and so on.

There are some good deals on CL, but there are some horrible, horrible heaps of crap on there too. I've seen some on there that are advertised as perfect, but can tell just by looking that they'll be bottomless money pits with all the stuff that'll need to be repaired. I've seen stolen bikes on there as well.

Buyer Beware on CL.

:yesway:

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    take a class first take supplies the bike. most will give you your indorsement at the end of the class. then test ride a bike. i bought a starter bike (sportster) with riding it first (didnt have myh endoresment) then six months later i was ready for something biker and 8000 in debt

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Try a BMW F650 GS.

On-road, off-road, big enough to count, big enough to last you for years (not too small of a 1st bike that you realize you'll need a bigger one).

Agile, not overly heavy, but still has fantastic power.

web.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Try a BMW F650 GS.

On-road, off-road, big enough to count, big enough to last you for years (not too small of a 1st bike that you realize you'll need a bigger one).

Agile, not overly heavy, but still has fantastic power.

web.jpg

ill second that... bmw's will last forever too. my first bike (and current) is a bmw k75

Top Bottom