• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Preibus and Bannon are idiots. If they want to hang up Gorsuch, it will be because of other idiots.
    I haven't been able to follow it today - can you elaborate on this?

Preibus and Bannon each have numerous character flaws (some they even have in common), but I don't consider them idiots. But I'm open to being persuaded. :) Do you mean they might be intentionally delaying Gorsuch's confirmation?

That would put them well on the way to idiothood.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I haven't been able to follow it today - can you elaborate on this?

Preibus and Bannon each have numerous character flaws (some they even have in common), but I don't consider them idiots. But I'm open to being persuaded. :) Do you mean they might be intentionally delaying Gorsuch's confirmation?

That would put them well on the way to idiothood.

Worse, at CPAC they said that Gorsuch was essential to Trump's plan to undo 40 years of laws. The whole, better to keep quite and be presumed a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Worse, at CPAC they said that Gorsuch was essential to Trump's plan to undo 40 years of laws. The whole, better to keep quite and be presumed a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Ah. Got it.

Yeah. That was not smart.

F'n idiots.

:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I looked up the truck driver case. Here's Gorsuch's opinion.

"It might be fair to ask whether TransAm’s decision was a wise or kind one. But it’s not our job to answer questions like that. Our only task is to decide whether the decision was an illegal one. The Department of Labor says that TransAm violated federal law, in particular 49 U.S.C. § 31105(a)(1)(B). But that statute only forbids employers from firing employees who “refuse[] to operate a vehicle” out of safety concerns. And, of course, nothing like that happened here. The trucker in this case wasn’t fired for refusing to operate his vehicle. Indeed, his employer gave him the very option the statute says it must: once he voiced safety concerns, TransAm expressly — and by everyone’s admission — permitted him to sit and remain where he was and wait for help. The trucker was fired only after he declined the statutorily protected option (refuse to operate) and chose instead to operate his vehicle in a manner he thought wise but his employer did not. And there’s simply no law anyone has pointed us to giving employees the right to operate their vehicles in ways their employers forbid. Maybe the Department would like such a law, maybe someday Congress will adorn our federal statute books with such a law. But it isn’t there yet. And it isn’t our job to write one — or to allow the Department to write one in Congress’s place."

Either ordering the truck driver to sit in a cab is "operating" or it's not. If it's not, then there's no case. If a judge must redefine a term or rewrite a law to get the ruling he wants, that seems pretty cut and dried.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Chris Coons up. RFRA and Hobby Lobby going on.

Dictionary Act coming up with Hobby Lobby.

I am going to have to quit. I'm done with work and have class tonight. I hope someone is home soon and can continue the commentary.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The Dems hate Gorsuch because he doesn't believe in interpretive legislating from the bench.

Also because the dems want their judges to give deference to the "little guy" in any proceeding whereas Gorsuch doesn't judge according to class. He only sees litigants. Says his only obligation is to the law.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The fact that Al Franken gets a vote on the suitability of Neil Gorsuch tells you just how much trouble we are in as a Nation.

Top Bottom