Got a problem...223 case stuck in chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not that 200 rounds is much of an experiment, but my rifle ran it flawlessly. And afterwards, it ran brass just fine (with no cleaning), which is kind of a no-no to run brass after steel w/o cleaning.

This was Brown Bear and then Geco.

I think steel case is mostly a problem in shorter gas rifles. Rifle length seems to help. I'd think twice before running steel in a 14.5" or shorter carbine gas rifle or pistol.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you like the Geco ammo? I bought a bunch, then heard it wasn't that good. I haven't had any problems with it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Geco has been superb for me. It's not the most accurate stuff, but nothing in 55gr is going to be super accurate with a 1:7 barrel. The .223 is more accurate than 5.56, but the ammo is 100% quality in terms of feeding and extraction. With RK moving boxes at $16.99, I don't know of any better brass case ammo around for the money. I've had no weak rounds or other problems.

The stuff is Swiss Made!!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Geco has been superb for me. It's not the most accurate stuff, but nothing in 55gr is going to be super accurate with a 1:7 barrel. The .223 is more accurate than 5.56, but the ammo is 100% quality in terms of feeding and extraction. With RK moving boxes at $16.99, I don't know of any better brass case ammo around for the money. I've had no weak rounds or other problems.

The stuff is Swiss Made!!

Thanks for the reply. I had been stocking up with it, then heard something negative...had not bought any for a while. I was just showing it to my brother today. We both thought the same thing, made in Switzerland, has to be good...right?

I try to by .223 so it will also work in a bolt action rifle I have.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    fantastic post, it’s easy to crap on steel case, but it is one of the widest used ammo types out there and is used by quite a few armies.

I’m with the thought of it being a maintenance issue too.

Hard to consider it being a maintenance issue, this was the first time the rifle had been fired.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I try to by .223 so it will also work in a bolt action rifle I have.

RK guy tried to convince me that the .223 was loaded hotter because the advertised FPS is higher. He didn't notice that the .223 is rated from a 20" barrel and the 5.56 from a 16" barrel. The 5.56 is hotter, but perhaps not a huge amount.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, is the chamber of that upper Nickel Boron coated also? PSA's description kind of sounds like it.
    Is the finish on your BCG smooth, or does it have a little "texture" kind of like parkerizing?

Top Bottom