got my first Glock 19 gen 3 lastnight!! any tips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    im wondering if i should go with a laser that mounts on rear site? i seen one on ebay for $124. or should i go with the laser that is in the handle? or do u think red dot is best? i still want it to fit in holster to carry. its not even had one shot thru it yet. well except for the two shells the factory gave me with the gun. i really like the glock but im kinda thinking maybe i want a S&W M&P instead?? i kinda like the looks of them better and the M&P on the barrel just sells it for me cause thats my initials lol.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Skip the laser. Get the good fitting holster for the training and lasers won't even cross your mind afterwards. The novelty of lasers wear off fast with a Glock.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't add any accessories to it until you learn to shoot it with the sights that are on it now, especially since you're having second thoughts already.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    im wondering if i should go with a laser that mounts on rear site? i seen one on ebay for $124. or should i go with the laser that is in the handle? or do u think red dot is best? i still want it to fit in holster to carry. its not even had one shot thru it yet. well except for the two shells the factory gave me with the gun. i really like the glock but im kinda thinking maybe i want a S&W M&P instead?? i kinda like the looks of them better and the M&P on the barrel just sells it for me cause thats my initials lol.

Since you want the M&P ill take that junk glock off your hands cheap. ;)

Id spend time practicing with it before you go spending money on the laser. If you decide you want the m&p you will have the laser and take a loss on it if you sell it.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why would you need a red dot or laser or other crap on a carry gun???

In 95% of self defense situation you wont even use the sights, you will just point and shoot.
    In the 5% of the other situation where you will need to aim with the sights to shoot, then the standard Glock sights are more than enough.

What you may need is a good mounted flashlight if you are going to use the gun for home defense.
    For a carry gun, keep it light weight, compact and simple.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    oh ive got plenty of training?? i just got back from Iraq. plus ive shot lots of handguns in my days. this is just my first glock

I agree with Shay..

You can never have too much training.. even if you were in the military, a defensive handgun course will still be beneficial.

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    oh ive got plenty of training?? i just got back from Iraq. plus ive shot lots of handguns in my days. this is just my first glock

Welcome back and Thank You.

There was a post earlier today regarding a person whose glock discharged due to a worn holster that did not cover the entire trigger hence the recommendation for one. It was completely avoidable and tragic.

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Since you want the M&P ill take that junk glock off your hands cheap. ;)

Id spend time practicing with it before you go spending money on the laser. If you decide you want the m&p you will have the laser and take a loss on it if you sell it.
    i never said it was junk?? i just saying i like the looks of M&P better and ive shot a M&P alot and it just fits right in my hand. everyone has there own? glocks is by far one of the best in my book. i just like the feel of the other better. and the deal i got on this glock no one wouldve passed it up.

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Why would you need a red dot or laser or other crap on a carry gun???

In 95% of self defense situation you wont even use the sights, you will just point and shoot.
    In the 5% of the other situation where you will need to aim with the sights to shoot, then the standard Glock sights are more than enough.

What you may need is a good mounted flashlight if you are going to use the gun for home defense.
    For a carry gun, keep it light weight, compact and simple.
    very good point. i just like the looks of the laser on the rear mount plus u still have the option to use regular site. i was just wondering how good they are for long range shooting. 50yrds

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    i was just wondering how good they are for long range shooting. 50yrds

At 50 yards? Their not good at all. You'll be lucky to keep your hand steady enough to even see the laser at 50 yards. Let alone, aim with it accurately.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    i never said it was junk?? i just saying i like the looks of M&P better and ive shot a M&P alot and it just fits right in my hand. everyone has there own? glocks is by far one of the best in my book. i just like the feel of the other better. and the deal i got on this glock no one wouldve passed it up.

I was just joking.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    very good point. i just like the looks of the laser on the rear mount plus u still have the option to use regular site. i was just wondering how good they are for long range shooting. 50yrds

For 50 yards I would use regular sights, im not sure you can see the laser dot that far away.
    Not that you would have to take 50 yards shots in a defensive situation anyway.

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    At 50 yards? Their not good at all. You'll be lucky to keep your hand steady enough to even see the laser at 50 yards. Let alone, aim with it accurately.
    oh i see. ya maybe i will keep it light and simple then. whats a good holster for them? i like the in the pants deal. i dont want it to be obvious.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    oh i see. ya maybe i will keep it light and simple then. whats a good holster for them? i like the in the pants deal. i dont want it to be obvious.

For inside the waist band carry you have many options, especially for the G19 where you can find many models molded just for this gun.

Depends if you like leather, kydex, both leather and kydex etc.

Top Bottom