• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    And I heard radio signals from Martians... I still think its static electricity, but anywho

[video=youtube_share;gcvq1DAM-DE]http://youtu.be/gcvq1DAM-DE[/video]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm always amazed by the ways we find that our universe has ordered itself...randomly... With no outside assistance... Or design intent whatsoever..,

What an amazingly fortunate Universe we have....:)

god-jeopardy.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This. Science doesn't replace religion. In fact, most answers science presents us ends up asking more questions.

+1

I would even go a bit further and say that every scientific answer yields more questions. What's the smallest part of an atom? We keep finding smaller parts. :)

(Not unlike when I take my AR apart and try to put it back together.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the fabric analogy still holds. Consider these ripples that move through the fabric when two massive things run into each other.

Spacetime can be represented as a fabric, which you have to try to visualize in 4D. Mass distorts the fabric, squeezing it in as you approach. That graph paper with masses weighing down the 2D sheet around them and your asteroid or space probe or whatever rolling up and down hill is the TV version to try to get that across. As such, gravity is not a force that draws things together, but the thing you're following being on the "downhill" side of the squozen part of spacetime centered on the planet, star, whathaveyou that's being approached. In 4D. And the thing itself has its own little downhill, as well.

The force vector of the downhillness due to gravity is added as an acceleration to the existing velocity vector of the thing you're following, like the sideways force vector introduced to your tires when you turn the steering wheel adds acceleration sideways to your car and alters its path. This acceleration alters the path of the thing in any case, but it may either escape on an altered path, be captured in orbit, or spiral in and crash. This includes light. Time also speeds up as you go downhill, thus the whole thing being referred to as spacetime, rather than just space.

Anyway, when these masses interact, rolling up and downhill, there are changes in the net squeezitude at points in space, and those changes propagate out as signals, like the ripples on the surface of water when the waves interact and cause new waves. But in 4D. These guys have developed a radio that can tune into these waves and analyze them to make a picture of the interactions, but it's not very sensitive so far and has to filter the desired signal out from all the other signals. That's what's new, a way to look at an additional aspect of the picture, like radar or infrared add to visible light photography.

Cross posting this link because science.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/quantum-gravity-research-unearth-true-nature-time/

many leading physicists now consider space-time and gravity to be “emergent” phenomena: Bendy, curvy space-time and the matter within it are a hologram that arises out of a network of entangled qubits (quantum bits of information), much as the three-dimensional environment of a computer game is encoded in the classical bits on a silicon chip. “I think we now understand that space-time really is just a geometrical representation of the entanglement structure of these underlying quantum systems,” said Mark Van Raamsdonk, a theoretical physicist at the University of British Columbia.

I'm not a fan of when they use the descriptor "hologram" to make the science feel more accessible, but there it is.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    The last few years have been so amazing from a physics standpoint. Something else to follow closely is the EM drive. So far it has passed every scrutiny and if it proves out will be the greatest game changer in history. Suddenly the solar system is humanities' personal swimming pool and even local interstellar travel becomes conceivable on a longer but doable time scale.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bravo! I still think time will prove to be granular and discrete rather than continuous, though

Curious. Are you familiar with Miguel Alcubierre's work?

The warp drive guy? I don't think I've read anything on him recently. Is he working on this stuff, too?

I thought of him more as a big-physics guy rather than quantum physics. Of course, as it turns out (unsurprisingly), the difference between the 2 is getting blurry.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This as as exciting as the discovery of the rings around Uranus.

Rings? Heck I've just got hair down there.

Can confirm.

Well, there goes my unified field theory again. Back to the 3-D-B-B.

Bravo! I still think time will prove to be granular and discrete rather than continuous, though

Curious. Are you familiar with Miguel Alcubierre's work?

C'mon guys, let's ease up on jokes about ATM's mom.

;)

Top Bottom