• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Somewhere out there on the internet is a quantum physics vBB forum where a guy posted about guns and it devolved into orifice jokes.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yes, 130 million light years is far when the nearest Kroger is a mile.

I like that he started out the article with this:

They have confirmed that such mergers lead to the production of the gold and platinum that exists in the Universe.

This must have been written for 4th graders.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, 130 million light years is far when the nearest Kroger is a mile.

I like that he started out the article with this:

This must have been written for 4th graders.

Yeah, even science writers are encouraged to have a captivating lead. He clarifies at the end how that mechanism works. Sorta.

For me, it is interesting that the stars that collided 130M years ago were millions of years "old" at that time. Maybe. ;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. There was supposed to be a big announcement last week and I have yet to find it in any of the online science rags that I read. It's a big deal. Kudos for the BBC (and you) getting this out in the publc domain.

The writer might be using English as a second language, so there's that.

But, gold and platinum stuff as the intro...just ticks me off.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah. There was supposed to be a big announcement last week and I have yet to find it in any of the online science rags that I read. It's a big deal. Kudos for the BBC (and you) getting this out in the publc domain.

The writer might be using English as a second language, so there's that.

But, gold and platinum stuff as the intro...just ticks me off.
    I think dude's been doing it long enough that he knows what will get the attention. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallab_Ghosh

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Announcement today, according to IFLS.

And on Monday they will announce something new. Everyone is being very tight-lipped on the nature of this big announcement but it is beyond doubt a huge affair. The European Southern Observatory has described it as an "unprecedented discovery", so it sounds like we should all be very excited. LIGO, VIRGO, and 70 other observatories around the world will hold a press conference at the same time across the globe.

So clear your schedules because the announcement will happen Monday 16 October at 10am EDT (3pm BST), and you can watch the live announcement on either the National Science Foundation website or on the European Southern Observatory website.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How would you measure the speed of a gravitational wave, a displacement of spacetime itself? Everything embedded would move with the displacement, so measuring time over distance would be meaningless.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How would you measure the speed of a gravitational wave, a displacement of spacetime itself? Everything embedded would move with the displacement, so measuring time over distance would be meaningless.

The LIGO experiment uses phase-sync'd lasers, then measuring how/when they get out of sync. This particular event is important because it seems to confirm that g-waves travel at the speed of light because there was corroboration of the event with speed-of-light phenomenon.

Top Bottom