• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My apologies to the BBC reported. It appears that the scientists were pandering to the crowd with OOOOOOOH Geeee Whizzz! Gold and platinum comments.

Sagan and Feynman are a hard act to follow, boys. Stick with science.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My apologies to the BBC reported. It appears that the scientists were pandering to the crowd with OOOOOOOH Geeee Whizzz! Gold and platinum comments.

Sagan and Feynman are a hard act to follow, boys. Stick with science.

Welcome to the internetz, you must be new here. ;)

And I well-remember the Cosmos episode that explained red-/blue-shift. Brilliant.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    How would you measure the speed of a gravitational wave, a displacement of spacetime itself? Everything embedded would move with the displacement, so measuring time over distance would be meaningless.

Reading...it works.

“Einstein predicts that gravity and photons move at the same speed ... and [the signals] arrived within 2 seconds of each other, dramatically confirming that Einstein’s prediction is right,” McEnery said at a news conference on Monday. “While I’m not surprised that Einstein is right, it’s always nice to see him pass another test.”

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The gravity of the photons of his brilliance, while still limited to light speed, continue to be measured.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Here is another interesting video filmed at Boulder. What he says makes a lot of sense on the surface.

[video=youtube_share;aSz5BjExs9o]http://youtu.be/aSz5BjExs9o[/video]

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's more than Flatland. It is the recognition that phenomena which appear indeterminant in 3 spatial dimensions become rational and ordered when additional dimensions are brought to bear. I especially like the concept of rethinking gravity wells as represented generally by 2 dimensional rubbery surfaces that we are all familiar with. He also has a different view of red-shift.

Lots worth exploring here, which I'll probably do when the snow begins to fall.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's more than Flatland. It is the recognition that phenomena which appear indeterminant in 3 spatial dimensions become rational and ordered when additional dimensions are brought to bear. I especially like the concept of rethinking gravity wells as represented generally by 2 dimensional rubbery surfaces that we are all familiar with. He also has a different view of red-shift.

Lots worth exploring here, which I'll probably do when the snow begins to fall.

Sorry, I edited while you were typing. :)

I'm fairly comfortable with other dimensions, conceptually.

But, the way the guy describes M-theory-ish eleven dimensions of "quanta" and interspacial/superspacial frameworks just seems hokey.

I will readily concede, though, that a 10 minute TED talk is probably not the best venue for that kind of presentation. He was doing the best with what he had, sotto voce and all.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Also very interesting that those 2010 approaches seem... anachronistic with the gravity-as-a-wave news. :)

I mean, this latest discovery really does level-set a bunch of other theories in terms of plausibility, I think. It'll be neat to see this all play out.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    In another dimension I don't have to work and I can ponder the meaning of life. To me some of this stuff seems like made up malarkey shoehorned into an equation in order to make it work.

We are standing on the shoulders of giants, don't stand on an *******.:):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's turtles all the way down...don't forget.

It's an interesting approach thinking that space might be comprised of individual indivisable units. In a way, his spheroids are more geometric forms of strings.

I don't know. I found it interesting and will spend more time on it when I can't get outside.

Top Bottom