• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    firearms owners turning on their own, all I can say is that someone operating outside of the law is not someone I want to relate to and law-abiding citizens (including gun owners) will cooperate with the authorities, whether or not they agree with the law.

I'm curious where your line is then. If they make certain firearms illegal and you know someone who has one, will you turn them in? If they make all firearms illegal, will you turn in those who you know to have them?

It sounds like a reductio ad absurdium question, but it really isn't. Unquestioning obedience to the law and forcing others to comply with a law that is either unjust, or of questionable legality unto itself, is not socially useful.

Authoritarian states ALWAYS want the citizenry to help enforce their dictates, and often times use the folks who are willing to do so to act as de facto enforcers. I don't do any drugs harder than caffeine, and don't think that it's a good idea for other people to do so either, but as long as they aren't hurting someone else then I am not going to turn in someone else who is using them.

Personally, I don't care for people who are always following "the rules" without concern for whether "the rules" are just. It's that kind of thinking that gives us first graders being suspended for bringing nail clippers to school.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    BE Mike I agree, if you are going to take the step to making a living at it and hit more than a few gun shows you are a dealer not a collector. accept what you must do at that point to be legal.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    BE Mike I agree, if you are going to take the step to making a living at it and hit more than a few gun shows you are a dealer not a collector. accept what you must do at that point to be legal.

Will you be the first in line to turn yours in should they be banned? You'll have to to be legal.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Will you be the first in line to turn yours in should they be banned? You'll have to to be legal.

+1

Where do we draw the line? Would this guy have been sentenced or even questioned 10 years ago? Probably.

20 years ago? Possibly.

30 years ago? No. He could've bought a full auto gun at a gun store. What will it be in another 10?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Gun owners turning on each other.....? Legal....not legal....? So what do some of you think....A guy poaches a deer with a rifle......turn him in? How about a guy shooting across the road.....? You witness wreckless or illegal activity....don't these people bring a bad name to gun owners.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gun owners turning on each other.....? Legal....not legal....? So what do some of you think....A guy poaches a deer with a rifle......turn him in? How about a guy shooting across the road.....? You witness wreckless or illegal activity....don't these people bring a bad name to gun owners.

Why is it that people a, b, c, and d commit act x and person a gets caught, he must rat out people b, c, and d?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

Apples and oranges comparison.

Poaching a deer is a crime unto itself, it has nothing to do with the rifle.

Someone shooting across a roadway is endangering other people.

Someone converting a gun to full auto either for fun on their range or because they feel they need one to defend themselves or their country, while currently illegal and not something *I* would do, is not endangering other people or detracting from the common resources. Someone sticking a soda bottle on the end of a .22lr to reduce the sound is committing a felony unless they jump through a lot of hoops and pay a tax, but I'm not going to snitch on them because they are harming no one. Yet they can go to jail for a long time.

For the record and in all seriousness, I have never done any of the above actions, nor do I intend to because the punishment for those "crimes" are excessive and pursued aggressively.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm curious where your line is then. If they make certain firearms illegal and you know someone who has one, will you turn them in? If they make all firearms illegal, will you turn in those who you know to have them?

It sounds like a reductio ad absurdium question, but it really isn't. Unquestioning obedience to the law and forcing others to comply with a law that is either unjust, or of questionable legality unto itself, is not socially useful.

Authoritarian states ALWAYS want the citizenry to help enforce their dictates, and often times use the folks who are willing to do so to act as de facto enforcers. I don't do any drugs harder than caffeine, and don't think that it's a good idea for other people to do so either, but as long as they aren't hurting someone else then I am not going to turn in someone else who is using them.

Personally, I don't care for people who are always following "the rules" without concern for whether "the rules" are just. It's that kind of thinking that gives us first graders being suspended for bringing nail clippers to school.
    So you obey only those laws that you agree with?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    So you obey only those laws that you agree with?

Did I post that? Or, did I repeatedly post that while *I* will obey laws I don't agree with, I wouldn't turn in someone else who didn't obey them?

While we're being petty about these things I hope you never have broken the speed limit intentionally.

And you still haven't answered the question as to whether you'll be first in line to turn in your weapons when they are made illegal, and be sure to turn in everyone you know who has them as well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Did I post that? Or, did I repeatedly post that while *I* will obey laws I don't agree with, I wouldn't turn in someone else who didn't obey them?

While we're being petty about these things I hope you never have broken the speed limit intentionally.

And you still haven't answered the question as to whether you'll be first in line to turn in your weapons when they are made illegal, and be sure to turn in everyone you know who has them as well.
    So, If your neighbor was operating a brothel out of her/his home, you are ok with that? We are a nation of laws, not men.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

You are assuming that any weapons that I may or may not own will be made illegal in the future. I will cross that bridge, if and when I come to it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Only if you are the HOA dictator.:laugh:

That's the problem with America. Everyone thinks they are the HOA dictator and must control the lives of others. If my neighbors were running a brothel, I certainly wouldn't notice. I don't pay any attention to them. And like good neighbors, they return the favor. If they're doing something wrong, that's between them and the government. Nobody appointed me to lord over them.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    So whats your problem with this guy exactly? That he marked up the gun you sold him? Are you just whining that he made more off the sale than you did? Cause it sure sounds like it. Unless there is more to your story you are basically accusing the guy of being a good businessman. Do you know that he did not have an FFL?

I have a full time job and sold the gun because it simple didn't suite me, not due to financial reasons. and you may want to take a look at Indiana state laws.

What makes him a scumbag?
    that would be a personal accusation, made by me. why wasn't he one?

How is this guy a scum bag? Sounds like someone should've known the value of their gun.
    :laugh: you're just one of those people. I just wanted to quote you, so you don't feel left out ;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That's the problem with America. Everyone thinks they are the HOA dictator and must control the lives of others. If my neighbors were running a brothel, I certainly wouldn't notice. I don't pay any attention to them. And like good neighbors, they return the favor. If they're doing something wrong, that's between them and the government. Nobody appointed me to lord over them.
    My neighbors look out for me and my property and I try to keep an eye on theirs. When I need help they seem to know when to offer without me asking. I help when they ask or if I see they might need help, I offer without being asked. If felonious activity is being conducted in my neighborhood, I have and will cooperate with police. Back to the original subject. When someone pleads guilty to a felony and is sentenced, then that case is closed in my book. It's too bad that the felon didn't consider beforehand how broadly and negatively his actions would affect his life and his family.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom