• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    You all have some beautiful dogs! I can't wait until I get my new house so I can get one!

For all you GSD fans out there looking to get a shelter/rescue dog the local (Indy area) GSD rescue does a good job from what I can tell. Her adoption policies and fees are reasonable. She prefers fenced yards, but if you have another plan for exercising the dog, she seems to be good with that too. She didn't flip out at the mention of my intact show dog (a miniature poodle) like most rescues tend to do.

https://www.facebook.com/gsd.indy
    german shepherd rescue

The actual website is difficult to navigate, but the Facebook page is updated constantly.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My Puppies just had their 5 week birthday party today!!!

Synn trying on Beau's Harness.
    20120606SynntryingonBeausHarness1.jpg

Havog trying to play with Beau's ball...
    20120606HavogtryingtochewonBeausball.jpg

The Boys rough housing it up a little...
    20120606HavogandSynnroughhousing2.jpg

Finally, they wore themselves out.
    For a little bit anyway...
    20120606HavogandSynnTiredPups2.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i do not.. but i love them. love the unique little pink "pigmentless" spots on the pads of their feet.

Up until ~2 years ago I had an all-black GSD (Zeus)...I always wanted to get an all-white GSD to pair with him, but once he died, I didn't want a dog that even remotely resembled him, so I went with a more traditional pattern in Leonidas.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Up until ~2 years ago I had an all-black GSD (Zeus)...I always wanted to get an all-white GSD to pair with him, but once he died, I didn't want a dog that even remotely resembled him, so I went with a more traditional pattern in Leonidas.
    you have a good looking dog. im in the process of housebreaking them. it seems as if 30 minutes after i get off work. (7am) they are all riled up again. i generally have em outside a while too. :dunno:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    you have a good looking dog. im in the process of housebreaking them. it seems as if 30 minutes after i get off work. (7am) they are all riled up again. i generally have em outside a while too. :dunno:

Kennel training is the only way to go, IMO...You can potty train a GSD in weeks.

As far as bring riled up, they need just as much mental exercise as physical exercise, IME...They are still little puppies though, so once they wake from a nap, they are going to be balls-to-the-wall regardless.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    So quick question, what is kennel training, and how does it make house breaking them easier?

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    So quick question, what is kennel training, and how does it make house breaking them easier?

Dogs inherently don't want to mess in their den/where they sleep. If you crate them in a crate just big enough for them to lie down comfortably (you don't want them to be able to have a potty space and a sleeping space within the kennel) and keep them kenneled when you can't be supervising them, it makes housebreaking easier. They never get the idea they can sneak off and potty somewhere undesirable and are praised for pottying in an appropriate location (ie outside).

If you can't supervise the dog, he's in his crate. This also eliminates inappropriate chewing and being otherwise destructive or getting in trouble when the puppy isn't supervised. I generally kennel a dog until it's around two anytime I'm not home. Around two, I start leaving the dog out for short periods when I'm not home. Say a quick trip to the store or out to dinner, but not a full work day until he proves trustworthy enough to leave out all the time.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    It is also worth noting that dogs are den animals. It is natural for them to sleep in a space akin to a kennel. If done properly, they will love having their own place in the house and will go there unprompted any time they need a break. Many people think it cruel to cage a dog. If done improperly (for to long, to an old dog unaccustomed, etc) it may be... But it is the best way to bring a puppy home in my opinion.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Figured I'd bump this thread up to show my new German Shepherd Dog Toby.

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

He's six months old, and we hope to start training at Edelheim's, a GSD trainer and breeder in Bunker Hill, soon.

Top Bottom