• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    13 States already govern markets during emergencies.
    Price Gouging Law and Legal Definition. At least 13 states — Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia — have enacted statutes to deal with price gouging in the event a state of emergency is declared.

They are fools for having done so. When Katrina/Rita came through in 2005, Louisiana was facing an epic gasoline shortage. Have you tried to rebuild from a hurricane without fuel for generators, chain saws, or vehicles? Instantly the "gougers" sprang into action and victimized these poor people by bringing them needed fuel. Oh, I mean ripped them off by charging $5 and even $8 per gallon. Now-- which would you rather have: no gasoline or expensive gasoline? Because those are your only choices here. The "normal" supply chain is broken. You're not going to have available AND the same price. It can't happen.

So the ignorant politicians pass law to "protect" those suffering a tragedy. IN reality, they are hurting them because now they simply won't have anybody show up to alleviate their suffering, lest they be prosecuted.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Capitalism sucks, as does the supply and demand theorem...

Economists view this as more of a law than a theory [1]. It's just the way free markets work. "Suck" it may, as you say, but I don't think anyone has come up with a better system to use resources efficiently, price, and distribute them.

Set price ceilings in a free market and you'll have shortages. Set floors, and you'll have surpluses. Governments can step in and mess with things, but then they're using our money to artifically force demand or supply.

No such thing as a free lunch (another law, btw :)).

You don't like, don't buy from CTD. I don't. But don't expect to waive a magic wand and get what you want, at the price you want, when you want it without coercion of some kind - and with coercion, we cease to have a free market.

[1] - https://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Supply.html

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They are fools for having done so. When Katrina/Rita came through in 2005, Louisiana was facing an epic gasoline shortage. Have you tried to rebuild from a hurricane without fuel for generators, chain saws, or vehicles? Instantly the "gougers" sprang into action and victimized these poor people by bringing them needed fuel. Oh, I mean ripped them off by charging $5 and even $8 per gallon. Now-- which would you rather have: no gasoline or expensive gasoline? Because those are your only choices here. The "normal" supply chain is broken. You're not going to have available AND the same price. It can't happen.

So the ignorant politicians pass law to "protect" those suffering a tragedy. IN reality, they are hurting them because now they simply won't have anybody show up to alleviate their suffering, lest they be prosecuted.

I am so sad the rep overseers will not let me rep you more!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Even if one thinks that so-called "price gouging" (I don't buy into the term) laws are a good thing...

..why should there ever be a law that applies when there is no supply chain disruption?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Yes im from Maryland, we have had a few hurricanes in and around Maryland in my 61 years.
    What I will say is, I learned to prepared during the Clinton Administration and have kept up over the years, and im a business owner at that. Im a firm believer in Capitalism and all it entails but myself. I never would take advantage of someone because of an crisis or emergency.
    Its just not me, I interject things here to see what is said.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m wondering if their pricing is manually adjusted or if their inventory systems do this automatically, when a run is in progress?

It sucks. This whole thing sucks. If I *had to have* ammo right now, it would REALLY suck. But on the other hand, would I rather CTD limit panic buying by doing this? Or would I rather some jerk clear the shelves and then turn around and sell it at an inflated price that benefits him/her? Like I said, this entire situation sucks.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m wondering if their pricing is manually adjusted or if their inventory systems do this automatically, when a run is in progress?

It sucks. This whole thing sucks. If I *had to have* ammo right now, it would REALLY suck. But on the other hand, would I rather CTD limit panic buying by doing this? Or would I rather some jerk clear the shelves and then turn around and sell it at an inflated price that benefits him/her? Like I said, this entire situation sucks.

Right, no fun answers.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Crickets...

Once real info hits the thread the emotional posts dry up. Amazing that way...

Or some of us actually have work to do, especially since some new government mandates were just handed down. CTD is now at $57 on that box of 9mm while Bud's has it listed for a tad over $30. The only thing I can figure is that CTD is hoping for the uneducated sucker of a gun buyer to come along to buy that ammo. This isn't supply and demand. This is CTD trying to give the green wiener to whomever is willing to accept it.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    :) Give CTD a fair chance. Have you priced lots, or acreage lately. Dirt has only been cheap once. Everything else is market driven. I am a lucky man.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Look if you really have a problem with it CTD is in Texas and supposedly Texas has a price gouging law that is in effect during a state of emergency.

I’m not doing anything with that info, but some of you “there aught to be a law”-ers can

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    They can mark their junk at whatever price they choose, but to sit here and argue that CTD pricing strategy makes economic sense is bull****. When they're that far out of line on pricing, they're fishing for a chump and nothing more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I'm gonna confess. I bought from CTD after Sandyhook. They had Greek HXP surplus .303 for less than 30 cents a round by the case. I bought 3 cases because it meant I could shoot my Enfields almost as cheaply as I could shoot my Mosins. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. It was boxer primed, reloadable brass. Hmm... less than .30 per round vs. .75-.80 per round for commercial... Sorry. I was weak. But that's it! Nothing since then. It happened the one (well, three) time and it didn't mean anything, I swear! :):

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Is there a reading comprehension problem on INGO today. When I open the CTD 9mm link out of curiosity, though it shows a winchester white box, the actual header is for 750 rounds of NATO 9mm for that $56.89

That works out to about 7.6¢ per round or $3.80 per 50 rounds which doesn't really seem that bad, provided its brass cased

The 89¢ per round for 223 is out of line, though

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Is there a reading comprehension problem on INGO today. When I open the CTD 9mm link out of curiosity, though it shows a winchester white box, the actual header is for 750 rounds of NATO 9mm for that $56.89

That works out to about 7.6¢ per round or $3.80 per 50 rounds which doesn't really seem that bad, provided its brass cased

I'll fess up. I didn't read the item description initially. I was working under the assumption it was for a 50 round box. Someone order a couple dozen and let us know how quickly they get shipped out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm seeing $454.76. (for the Winchester 9mm Nato 750 rd. case)
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/9mm-luger-or-9x19mm/

Top Bottom