• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Criminalizing conduct and if something is ok are different.

Marijuana is illegal. A large chunk of the population thinks it's ok.
    French kissing and groping your significant other on a park bench in a crowded park is legal. A large chunk of the population thinks it's not ok.

Laws only work when there is public buy-in and the culture supports it. You want to change gun safety violations? Change the culture. Someone who lacks the forethought to carry in such a way they can leave a gun in a couch isn't going to have the forethought to think "I could be charged criminally if..." Someone who leaves it on the toilet tank forgot it and isn't going to remember it because of the law.

Where's all the normal "you can't legislate morality" and "gun control laws don't prevent crime" messages we see whenever "they" introduce the notion that a new law will affect gun violence? So now you want to criminalize an accident? Or base the charges on things outside the control of the individual? If I drop my gun and a responsible adult finds it, no harm no foul, but if a kid finds it I'm a criminal?

Let's see some of the ideas of how we can potentially restrict and hamper all lawful gun owners based on this guy, and then explain why it's any different than gun-grabber proposals. C'mon, you can do it. Mandate carry insurance since we can't be sure they'll pay up in a civil suit. Mandate government approved carry equipment. Loss of carry rights based on "stupid". Gun registry so we can track the owner of found guns. It's for the kids. We have to do something.

Old guys sits on sofa, gun slides out of his pocket, we need more laws.
    Old guy sits in a hotel room with a bunch of rifles with bumpstocks and kills about 60 people and injures hundreds more. Laws wouldn't have prevented this. My rights.
    Right. You cant legislate intelligence on any issue. Sometimes I forget that since it is the right of all citizens to carry a gun in self defense, that doesnt mean all citizens are smart or even safe.
    It does baffle me that there is no charge that applies for losing or leaving your gun laying around though.
    I understand and agree in most cases that we need less charges and prosecution of citizens. I think law enforcement and the court is over used in a lot of cases but I also understand the dilemma of trying to equally apply the law and not look biased. Catch22 and I'm glad I'm not in that business.
    There is no real solution. There is no real answer. I just try to live my life as a good citizen and teach my children to be good too. That is a lot of work and time. But I have to lookout for all the idiots out there. Talking about criminal recklessness with a car, the other day driving I watched a woman driving an SUV (woman driving was my first warning ;) ) who freely merged from lane to lane without even looking for traffic. She did use her turn signal. I guess she thought when she flips that on it means get the hell out of her way because she has the right of way! Several cars including me had to swerve to avoid becoming collateral damage. Some People simply dont care about others.

I'm betting the man who lost his gun also has no real training to use it either. More stupid in my opinion but no not illegal

Bob Wiley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2017
    Carmel
    I can't believe he's blaming his shorts!

He said his shorts had pocket's that were "too shallow and unsafe".

Maybe the only thing too shallow and unsafe was the person wearing the shorts.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You'd be surprised at the excuse people use when confronted, I stopped a person at the range for an uncased firearm and his reply was " well the gun store didn't sell me one with the gun".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Stupid should hurt. Endanger children and you should have to pay.

Is that just for guns? Or if you take your eyes off the road and rear end a car with children in it should you eat a felony?

Maybe. Negligence is negligence.

Stupid should hurt. If stupid hurt a bit more, there would be a lot less stupid.

Responsibility and accountability are becoming a lost concept.

Just let the stupid foolish sloppy gun handler go about his normal business until someone gets killed. Then we'll do something about it...

Go lobby your Monroe County legislators to regulate which kinds of holsters we can use. I'm sure they will be happy to get all up in the business of regulating carry and firearms. You know, "common sense gun control".

Good for you gents in the law and order business! Thank you for your service.

Your assumptions that I was asking exclusively for legal repercussions is mistaken. The same with the subtle accusations of me promoting gun control. :)

Just one example of something different could be a State Police press release naming the individual who failed at his responsibility to keep his lethal weapon secured. The announcement could specify how long the individual's LTCH would be suspended and if training would be required to get it back.

:dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Your assumptions that I was asking exclusively for legal repercussions is mistaken... The announcement could specify how long the individual's LTCH would be suspended and if training would be required to get it back.

That's legal repercussions. ISP can't just decide to suspect a LTCH, there's a hearing process for that. They also, as far as I know, can't put requirements on it other than those for "proper person". Like Fargo said, if you want a training requirement go through your legislators.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's legal repercussions. ISP can't just decide to suspect a LTCH, there's a hearing process for that. They also, as far as I know, can't put requirements on it other than those for "proper person". Like Fargo said, if you want a training requirement go through your legislators.
    I'm no fan of training mandated by a government entity to exercise a Constitutional Right. With that said, under these circumstances I'd kick in to help fund an 8 hour course for the IKEA couch carrier, the Whole Foods bag man, and anybody else in the "in need of gun safety for dummies" categories. We could have you, Coach, Kirk, if it includes the words "gun safety for dummies" we gotta bring in Guy, there's Cedertop and NHT3 too. I'm sure of all the GIs we have here there are a couple former DIs/TIs, they could yell at these dummies during breaks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm no fan of training mandated by a government entity to exercise a Constitutional Right. With that said, under these circumstances I'd kick in to help fund an 8 hour course for the IKEA couch carrier, the Whole Foods bag man, and anybody else in the "in need of gun safety for dummies" categories. We could have you, Coach, Kirk, if it includes the words "gun safety for dummies" we gotta bring in Guy, there's Cedertop and NHT3 too. I'm sure of all the GIs we have here there are a couple former DIs/TIs, they could yell at these dummies during breaks.
    I'd donate 9mm ammo since thats the caliber everyone should be carrying anyways;)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll bet good money that this wasn't the first time the "IKEA Pocket Carrier's" gun fell out of his shallow pocket. You just can't fit stupid.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Incident | Gun Violence Archive

...Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online...

Grrrr... :xmad:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Incident | Gun Violence Archive

...Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online...

Grrrr... :xmad:
    One thing I have to give the left credit for is they know how to mobilize and get people involved and their people actualy do get involved and email and call their elected officials. Ours dont nearly as much and it hurts us bad. It hurts freedom.

Like at the bottom of the page it give the districts this happened in so that people can contact elected officials.
    Getting gun owners just to sign free letters with free stamps AT A GUN SHOW doesnt even get the repsonse it should. It's a damn shame and it's why we are losing gun rights

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    One thing I have to give the left credit for is they know how to mobilize and get people involved and their people actualy do get involved and email and call their elected officials. Ours dont nearly as much and it hurts us bad. It hurts freedom.

Like at the bottom of the page it give the districts this happened in so that people can contact elected officials.
    Getting gun owners just to sign free letters with free stamps AT A GUN SHOW doesnt even get the repsonse it should. It's a damn shame and it's why we are losing gun rights

That sounds familiar for some reason TT ;)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    https://public.courts.in.gov/mycase...qWTVNekl3T0RFeU1EY3dPamcyTVRBd05USXpZVE09In19

[FONT=&amp]State of Indiana v. Francis T. Wright

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    Case Number29D04-1806-F6-004514

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    Initial hearing done and going to trial?

07/20/2018Initial Hearing

Session:
    07/11/2018 1:15 PM, Rescheduled

Session:
    07/20/2018 1:15 PM, Judicial Officer: Murphy, Darren J - MAG

Result:
    Commenced and concluded
    Probably not, that looks like an auto generated minute, there will probably be a much longer minute put on the CCS in the next couple days detailing a pre-trial and final pretrial date before any trial.

Jury trials almost never happen on the first trial setting, unless someone is incarcerated and pushing it.

I would guess a public defender was appointed or he is hiring counsel as well.

Top Bottom