• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    but a point was brought up about the gun show loop hole. about how non-private sellers i.e. gun shops had to do a back round check to sell a gun and if you were a private collector there is no such requirement. the anti-gun lobbyist were atleast trying to close this loop hole. any thoughts on the subject?

I've never had dealer check out my butt yet!

Would forcing all sales to require a NICS check "save lives"? Doubtful. And would the added hassle and expense be worth it? NO!

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Laws aren't supposed to be passed to make people "comfortable". In my opinion, laws are supposed to prohibit and provide penalty for behavior that has a definitive, measureable, deleterious effect on a society that agrees to be bound by such laws. We have far too many laws currently on the books that do not meet this standard, and we do not need more of the same.

From way downtown, swoosh.

When will politicians understand this? Maybe they do and they also understand they need to get reelected in a popularity contest.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "When you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." - Winston Churchill.

We're way past 10,000 JUST for firearms related laws (to say nothing of all the other frivolous, picayune laws on the books). What we need are fewer laws, not more.

Furthermore, by definition, felons violate the law. They will steal to obtain arms (this is by far the most common means). They will buy stolen firearms (FAR cheaper than buying from a private seller). They will misrepresent themselves, participate in strawman purchase schemes, etc. Yet another law will have no effect on this activity. These people care not about the law.

When violent people do the things they'll do, we have plenty of laws with which to prosecute them.

Yet another law to restrict/bind/potentially trip up, regular law abiding gun owners, who simply want to sell their own property, can have no positive effect. The most pronounced effects would be a chilling of gun sales and catching/tripping up otherwise law abiding folks who didn't cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "is" of the law correctly.

BOTH of which, I might add, play directly into the REAL goals of people advocating such laws by further reducing gun ownership and further demonizing gun owners.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    "When you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." - Winston Churchill.

We're way past 10,000 JUST for firearms related laws (to say nothing of all the other frivolous, picayune laws on the books). What we need are fewer laws, not more.

Furthermore, by definition, felons violate the law. They will steal to obtain arms (this is by far the most common means). They will buy stolen firearms (FAR cheaper than buying from a private seller). They will misrepresent themselves, participate in strawman purchase schemes, etc. Yet another law will have no effect on this activity. These people care not about the law.

When violent people do the things they'll do, we have plenty of laws with which to prosecute them.

Yet another law to restrict/bind/potentially trip up, regular law abiding gun owners, who simply want to sell their own property, can have no positive effect. The most pronounced effects would be a chilling of gun sales and catching/tripping up otherwise law abiding folks who didn't cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "is" of the law correctly.

BOTH of which, I might add, play directly into the REAL goals of people advocating such laws by further reducing gun ownership and demonizing gun owners.

I think the points have already been made. :dunno:

well i have no more points against this discussion well played sirs:bowdown:

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    again very good point, and you bring up another: Strawmen. should there better enforcement on this where it is clearly helping bad guys get guns? this was discussed in the documentary aswell.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    again very good point, and you bring up another: Strawmen. should there better enforcement on this where it is clearly helping bad guys get guns? this was discussed in the documentary aswell.
    First, can you come up with a definition of "strawman purchase" that does not also make illegal the giving of a firearm as a gift? :)

Again, that line of attack is really intended to forbid private gun transactions.

There are other laws on the books that make certain gun-related actions illegal - possession by a felon for example. More laws aren't going to make a difference.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    First, can you come up with a definition of "strawman purchase" that does not also make illegal the giving of a firearm as a gift? :)

Again, that line of attack is really intended to forbid private gun transactions.

There are other laws on the books that make certain gun-related actions illegal - possession by a felon for example. More laws aren't going to make a difference.
    well an example would be buying tobacco alcohol for a minor, i think this is the same situation. although the example i just gave i dont agree with the term minor but same principle with guns

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Repeat after me 5 times:
    There's no such thing as the gun show "loophole."

LOL, that's exactly what I was going to post.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    i disagree, its not two seperate situations, a gun is still being transferred.

But it IS two separate situations. To reference the tax code again, you do pay sales tax on delivery and installation charges but not on repair charges.

Even though both are labor charges, they are two separate situations -- as is the difference between a sale between two separate individuals vs a sale from a dealer to an individual (as a point of note, there is at least one more separate situation defined which also does not require a time-of-sale background check: the sale of firearms from an individual to a licensed dealer.)

I have problems on a few fronts:

1) Forcing an intrastate transaction of goods (even an in-kind trade, from the proposed solutions I have seen) to go through a federally licensed dealer would appear to be an over-extension of the government's ability to regulate interstate commerce.

2) I do not trust state/local government's continued ability to restrain from over-regulating these transactions. Think of the impact to citizens on the ability of individuals to "keep and bear arms" if IL (or another state) placed a transaction fee of $500 per firearm transaction (or a fee equal to 300% of retail value) and all firearms transactions had to go through an FFL (allowing these fees to be collected.) What if they leveraged their input on the licensing status of local dealers to enforce a "just cause" requirement for local transactions? They can attempt to do these things already, but the person-to-person transactions would greatly reduce the impact of requirements efforts for the citizens.

3) This would permit dealer's transaction documents (combined with the regular collection of dealers logs, as is accused of happening in Alaska) to turn into a de-facto gun registration system over years and generations.

4) I similarly do not trust the federal government's willingness to comply with their own document handling/disposition requirements. They have already been accused of (and I believe admitted to) holding the background check documents longer than the 90 days originally permitted. IIRC, the current regulation is that the records must be destroyed within 24hrs. By making this a complete record of the buyer in all likely firearms transactions and combining that with an "black" inter-agency co-operative effort (say for the purpose of using pattern-matching analytics to identify potential security threats) and you now have a FBI (or like agency) with a long-term record of background checks and likely firearms owners. Not only that, but there is a distinct chance these secondary copies of the records could move into a database that is subject to FOIA requests, creating a semi-public registry.

You may not think these types of things could happen, but considering that similar things have happened in other democratic environments and our current fees on tobacco products, I see them as quite probable.

I also feel that the freedom firearm movement between individuals, much like our freedom of interstate travel, creates a significant issue for any government authority attempting to radically overstep its legal authority.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Isn't a Straw Purchase defined as buying a firearm for someone who cannot legally posses one?

So me buying a gun for a felon would be a straw purchase. However, me buying a gun for my brother (who has a clean record) is NOT a straw purchase.

I know most gun shops don't sell to anyone buying a gun for someone else just to be safe though.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    there are a lot of laws that mandate common sense...its illegal to rob a bank, steal someones identity. theres alot people out there who dont use common sense, people are stupid, i.e. Costas you could go on and on, point is people dont use common sense

and the vast majority of those with no common sense are the liberal media types like Costas.

Just because HE has an irrational fear of guns, doesn't mean everyone should.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    couldnt you handle it the same way you handle buying tobacco and alcohol for minors?
    That's what I'm saying - it basically already is. :)

You know it is illegal to sell beer to kids. Someone walks up, looks young, and asks if they can buy some beer from you. It is illegal to do it if they are under 21. You can take whatever steps you are comfortable with to make sure they are over 21. If they aren't, and you get caught, you just committed a crime. You don't NEED to require (as Indiana recently found out) proof of ID all the time. It makes sense to, but the requirement for proof does not really change how many kids drink.

The people that were going to break the law in the first place, are very likely to break another law that's meant to make enforcement of the first law easier.

Same thing with the strawman purchase stuff. The people willing to sell firearms to felons already don't care that what they are doing is illegal.

:)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I think so, I know plenty of people that have long-guns, but don't have an LTCH because they have no interest in carrying or owning a handgun. 2 years ago before I got my LTCH and a handgun, I saw a shotgun on Armslist that I wanted to purchase. The guy said LTCH is required. I contacted him, and he wouldn't budge. I then tried to tell him that I do not need a License to carry a Handgun, to buy a shotgun, and that he was a fool, he just ignored me.

If you are selling it, then you can make whatever rules you want. But I think requiring LTCH for long guns is unreasonable.
    He had every right to not sell it, and I had every right to make my complaints known.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    there are a lot of laws that mandate common sense...its illegal to rob a bank, steal someones identity. theres alot people out there who dont use common sense, people are stupid, i.e. Costas you could go on and on, point is people dont use common sense

These laws (while seeming to be common sense) are NOT about regulating common sense, they are about assigning penalties to actions that may (or do) bring injury or damage to others. While it may seem like common sense not to commit the infractions defined, I would suggest that much of the basis for that judgement has to do with the repercussions if caught.

Or, as my dad used to say, "If you are going to rob a bank, make certain you get enough money hidden away to make it worth the jail time."

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    right so is there a penalty if your caught buying a firearm to a felon?

If you buy a firearm for a felon or anyone who is not allowed to purchase one, you have committed a felony. If you as a private individual sell a firearm to another individual who happens to be a felon, you have committed a crime if you either knew, or had reasonable cause to know that they were a felon. If you had no knowledge of it then you are fine.

In the case of above let's analyze it:

A felon possessing a gun (in most cases) is a crime. Someone willing to buy for a felon or sell to someone they know is a felon is also committing a crime.

Plenty of crimes being committed all around here. Anyone really interested in the problem (felons owning guns) has plenty of ways to go about punishing those who break the laws. People who intend to break the laws won't have any compunction against breaking another.

Of course, that also gets back to just how many laws we have that makes felons out of nonviolent offenders (shoplift a pack of gum in Indiana and you have committed a felony...), but that's a different argument.

Top Bottom