Gun Stores that Openly Oppose Open Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Gun Stores that Openly Oppose Open Carry? [New Events: Ran Into Owner While OCing]

There are obviously differing opinions that instantly surface as soon as Open Carry is mentioned. However, I was surprised today at something I overheard while inside one of my local gun shops.

I was at Crackshot in Anderson today at about 3:40pm browsing for revolvers and reloading equipment. I had multiple benjamins in my wallet, and I was going to be buying some dies, powder, bullets, etc... I also would have bought a revolver today if they'd had what I was looking for (but they didn't). This is the closest Gun Store to my house, and I frequently make purchases here.

However, today I was put off and ended up not spending a dime.

I was standing at the gun counter when a husband and wife couple came into the store and proceeded to ask the salesman behind the counter some questions about Indiana's handgun permit. The salesman they were talking to was not the store owner, but I have seen him in there a few other times--taller guy, grey hair, grey mustache.

After the customer had asked the basics about the handgun permit (where to get it, how much was it, how does the lifetime option work, etc...) he asked this question: "Is Indiana an Open Carry or Concealed Carry State?"

At this my ears perked up, because I am a big proponent of Open Carry for those who wish to shoulder the small burden that comes with it. I personally choose to Open Carry often (though I wasn't today), because I believe it is healthy for society to see well behaved law abiding citizens carrying guns. I do it for comfort and for socio-political reasons, and if I am eschewing some tactical advantage that concealed carry might have, I am willing to deal with that.

The salesman's response to this customer's question was this; he said, "The law doesn't specify how you have to carry, but do NOT Open Carry. If you do, you will be bringing a LOT of negative attention to yourself that you do NOT want."

At this, I wasn't too riled; I hear this kind of stuff all the time. But it's what he said next that bothered me. He said, "There have been guys that've walked in here Open Carrying, and every time I tell 'em to get out!" He said all of this with a very obvious passion (borderline anger) in his tone.

I thought, really? A store that sells nothing but items that pertain to the 2nd Amendment would tell someone to leave simply for expressing his or her 2nd Amendment rights?

Whether or not one agrees Open Carry is a good idea or not is one thing. But I believe that Open Carry is, in fact, our right. Whereas concealed carry is a privilege that can be regulated or not allowed at all.

Nevertheless, after hearing this I put the two items that were in my hands back on the shelf and left. I was -this- close to taking off my cover garment and walking back into the store. I really wanted to see if he would kick me out with the owner standing right there, or I wanted to see if he was all talk. But alas, I didn't...

It's obvious that a Gun Store has the same right to ask people to leave for Open Carrying just like any other store, but it did surprise me that this would be the case.

[Edit: Read post #39 within this thread where I ran into Mike, the owner of Crackshot guns, while I was out Open Carrying]

Last edited:

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    i know what ya mean. almost every gun shop i have been in had a "no loaded guns" sign.

Yeah, and I definitely understand where they are coming from with these signs. It's just like the no loaded guns policy at Gun Shows. And if safety was purely their reasoning then I may be mistaken for feeling the way I do about it. But for this guy, I don't think that was the case. Since he prefaced his comments about Open Carry with a very anti-Open Carry attitude, I imagine he has deeper feelings on the subject.

I would never bring a loaded gun into a store that I wished to trade or do business with. As far as my sidearm goes, that gun isn't going to magically jump out of it's holster in a gun shop and start killing people any more than it would in the bank or in a restaurant, etc... So, it stays on me sign or not.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If it has a no loaded gun sign I would just take out the magazine or bullets if its a revolver. But hell the stores where I'm from if your a regular they don't care

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Whether or not one agrees Open Carry is a good idea or not is one thing. But I believe that Open Carry is, in fact, our right. Whereas concealed carry is a privilege that can be regulated or not allowed at all.quote]

Not to be confrontational here---I respectfully disagree. The 2nd Amendment makes no distinction between concealed and open carry. Therefore, concealed carry is not a "privilege" but a right, and one that should not be regulated or disallowed. I'm not here to rekindle the Oc vs. CC debate: both have their merits and I practice both on a regular basis. It somewhat disturbs me to see a fellow firearm-owner be of the opinion that our right to carry should be regulated at all. That being said, thanks for sharing your experience. While I do not agree with the opinion of the salesman, he IS well within his right to ask you to leave the premises for OC. Is it right? No. Frankly, it makes no sense to me. If that happened in my presence I would likely take my business elsewhere. :patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

I would never bring a loaded gun into a store that I wished to trade or do business with. As far as my sidearm goes, that gun isn't going to magically jump out of it's holster in a gun shop and start killing people any more than it would in the bank or in a restaurant, etc... So, it stays on me sign or not.

I would. In fact, I try to avoid those with "no loaded guns" signs on the doors. I've got at least four stores around without the signs... guess who gets preference when I'm goin' shopping?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Beech Grove Firearms has a "NO LOADED GUNS" sign, but I have heard Greg tell several people that it meant for guns brought it in for trade and for repair and not personal carry guns. They do not oppose loaded carry guns that are holstered.

A about a year ago an old guy came in and during a discussion about magazine cut off safeties he questioned if his pistol had one. After the thought entered his mind he pointed the .380 at Greg's stomach pulled the trigger of a loaded gun and said, "Yep, it does". From what I hear the guy is lucky he will die a natural death and not one from Greg's choking hands!!

I wonder if any of the other "NO LOADED GUNS" stores mean the same thing?

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Not to be confrontational here---I respectfully disagree. The 2nd Amendment makes no distinction between concealed and open carry. Therefore, concealed carry is not a "privilege" but a right, and one that should not be regulated or disallowed. I'm not here to rekindle the Oc vs. CC debate: both have their merits and I practice both on a regular basis. It somewhat disturbs me to see a fellow firearm-owner be of the opinion that our right to carry should be regulated at all. That being said, thanks for sharing your experience. While I do not agree with the opinion of the salesman, he IS well within his right to ask you to leave the premises for OC. Is it right? No. Frankly, it makes no sense to me. If that happened in my presence I would likely take my business elsewhere. :patriot:

You're not being confrontational at all. At least, for me, I am very open to hearing other thoughts on the subject. All of our rights are regulated to some degree. For instance, speech that may incite a panic is not protected by the 1st Amendment. Also, in order to give a public speech with a large gathering often you must reserve the spot with a permit, etc... This is so that 2, 3, or 4 people don't try to "share" the same public space to give a large speech simultaneously.

To me, concealed carry has always fallen under the regulate-able category whereas open carry has not. However, I am not claiming to be right on this particular topic. I still have a lot to learn about it before I can come to the best conclusion for me. And I appreciate your input.

Last edited:

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i have been in crack shots several times and mike (the owner) is a very good guy but i would much rather drive the 45 min to an hour drive to beech grove where the prices are cheaper and the selection is bigger. crack shots prices are amazingly higher than gander on some of the things i have shopped for.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I've heard quite a few stories about gun shop owners facing irrate and possibly dangerous patrons (one story sticks out about a man who was denied a handgun, and brought a buddy who was walking around the store with his pistol held in his sweatshirt pocket), as well as shady dudes in excessively baggy clothes coming in pairs or trios, all three wanting to "handle" every gun in the store at the same time.

If I were a shop owner, it'd be a comfort to know there were others who I knew were prepared to defend against someone just stupid enough to cause real trouble in a gun shop.

As far as the guy at Crackshot, I'd call the owner and bring it up with him. It's apparent the guy who you seen today is letting his opinions get in the way of his ability to do his job most effectively. The differences between open carry and concealed carry is only a fraction of a second, if he really had safety as a real concern. Let the owner know that you were really offended, and because of him, you took your money elsewhere.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Beech Grove Firearms has a "NO LOADED GUNS" sign, but I have heard Greg tell several people that it meant for guns brought it in for trade and for repair and not personal carry guns. They do not oppose loaded carry guns that are holstered.

A about a year ago an old guy came in and during a discussion about magazine cut off safeties he questioned if his pistol had one. After the thought entered his mind he pointed the .380 at Greg's stomach pulled the trigger of a loaded gun and said, "Yep, it does". From what I hear the guy is lucky he will die a natural death and not one from Greg's choking hands!!

I wonder if any of the other "NO LOADED GUNS" stores mean the same thing?

OH, WOW!!!! That's crazy!
    Yes, I to have heard the same thing from Greg about the loaded gun sign and I carry in there all the time. (Occasionally I"m open carrying.)

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    At gunshows I feel that rule is mostly for the people who set-up at the tables or someone that is bringing in their gun to sell or trade. You don't want some prospective customer playing with a loaded gun on someones table. On the other hand anyone legally carrying their weapon for personal defense should not have to unload it. To make it worst they put that stupid wire tie through it.
    Just my personal opinion.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I would have probably called him out.... but I'm a peckerhead like that....

I open carry in every gun shop I go in to.... that would be ONE place I would expect to be welcomed, not shunned.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For gun shows, it is a matter of insurance reasons. Getting liability insurance for promoting gun shows is almost impossible...just finding a insurance company that will write you a policy is almost impossible. When you are lucky enough to find a insurance company that will cover you.... you basically have to sign that policy in blood and guarantee that there will be no loaded firearms in the building during the show (the exception being LE). As for firearm related businesses (actual store fronts) I'm not sure if the same thing applies. Someone in the the business can probably explain it better.

Last edited:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The "NO LOADED GUNS" signs create a moment to remember that, no matter how excited I get in the store, I don't want to pull out my piece to brag about and have it go off prematurely. :banana:

In a practical sense, the sign will:
    1. Deter anyone willing to obey an inanimate object.
    2. Remind us not to pull out our concealed arms.
    3. Unload our guns if we're going to be trading them or getting them worked on.
    4. Cause the business to lose customers who get hassled for OCing, because they're not going to come around the counter and inspect each cylinder or chamber for rounds just to make sure it isn't loaded. If asked, one could always tell a fib.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of stupid people out there. Those signs are meant for those people. Why get offended at someone who is just obeying an insurance protocol? The amount of stupid idiots that walk into a gun store is amazing, I don't even trust a lot of people with guns so why expect a gunstore to trust everyone?

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I always felt it was a bit of a contradiction until the wife and I opened up our humble little shop.
    You would not believe the crap we see from behind the counters. For every gunshop worker story I could tell ten of the clowns that walk in.
    92.5% of the guys and gals that walk in are well put together intelligent safe gun owners but its that much smaller number that we read about regularly on the forums that scares me,
    Marion county Sheriff walks in hot summer day proceeds to drag his sweat and funk encrusted loaded pistol out of the back of his pants and hand it to me loaded with one in the chamber on a Hi Power and says " Hey boy whatcha gimme for this on trade"? :n00b:

Needless to say he left quite upset with me, and is likely not to come back. :dunno:
    Hate to lose a customer but I'm good with that particular one shopping elsewhere.

At this time we do not have a sign up and hope we don't have to put one up.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    For gun shows, it is a matter of insurance reasons. Getting liability insurance for promoting gun shows is almost impossible...just finding a insurance company that will write you a policy is almost impossible. When you are lucky enough to find a insurance company that will cover you.... you basically have to sign that policy in blood and guarantee that there will be no loaded firearms in the building during the show (the exception being LE). As for firearm related businesses (actual store fronts) I'm not sure if the same thing applies. Someone in the the business can probably explain it better.

With one of the Companies we contacted they required the same for the shop. The others never mentioned it.

Top Bottom