Gun Stores that Openly Oppose Open Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I too,

have had some issues with Mike.

About ten years ago he p****d me off when I walked in saying..."oh no, you gotta spend money if you're gonna come in here..." My brother and I had spent a good $1000 bucks or more in the previous six months in his store.

I didnt go back for ten years or more, figuring I could do better on my own than to listen to that shtuff, and give him my disposable income.

Now, he is the only game in town, and seems more mellow.

I have traded with him, and tried to buy from him some things he can't get.

Maybe we both have mellowed.

BTW, the grey haired moustachioed feller is retired MCSD, so it might be a sneak peek at their view of OC.

Regards

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Our old shop had a sign on the front door stating no loaded firearms. This was for liability. If someone came in and shot themselves or someone else accidently. Our new shop we didn't bother with the sign. We don't care either way. Most people open or conceal carrying are safe about it. We have had a couple of issues like the time the little girl pulled out her Glock and started waving and pointing it at everyone. When her boyfriend grabbed it from her, it was loaded with on in the pipe. We've discussed putting a sign on the front that says All employees and most customers are armed so don't think about doing anything silly.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of stupid people out there. Those signs are meant for those people. Why get offended at someone who is just obeying an insurance protocol? The amount of stupid idiots that walk into a gun store is amazing, I don't even trust a lot of people with guns so why expect a gunstore to trust everyone?

Spoken like a true gun-grabber. :rolleyes: (I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that you use the same arguments they do to promote gun-control)

(I'll say this again) why is it that everybody who thinks most "other people" are unsafe with guns don't realize that to those "other people" THEY are the "other people" who SOMEBODY ELSE thinks is unsafe?

On the other hand I can certainly understand a no loaded guns in a gun shop policy.

I don't. Is there a no running cars on a car lot policy? No sharp knives in a cutlery store policy? a "no baseball bats allowed" sign in a sporting goods store?All of those things can be, and have been, used as weapons.

It's an irrational fear of guns that causes those policies. A fear that is even prevelant among gun-owners (see above). A gun kept in a holster is no threat to anyone. If the person pulls it then they should be ejected from the property (just the same as you would if someone almost runs over someone on a car lot, or is acting dangerously with a butcher knife or a bat).

We would never have opposed open carry in our store but I absolutely forbid anyone removing a gun they were carrying from the holster. If they wanted to show me their carry gun they had two options...let me draw it for them or go out to their car and unload it. I had way to many loaded guns pointed at me (and one AD in the shop) to allow customers to handle a loaded gun in my store.

+1. :yesway: Sounds very reasonable.

We've discussed putting a sign on the front that says All employees and most customers are armed so don't think about doing anything silly.

:scared: :draw: :D

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is in response to the OP's first post and his post #39 in this thread: I've been living in the Pendleton/Anderson area for most of my life. I've known Mike (Crackshot owner) since I was a little kid. I've OC'd in Mike's shop a few times and I've never had a problem like this in his shop. I know the guy you're talking about (with the gray hair and mustache) and he has made a similar comment to me about OC'ing in Crackshot. It was something along the lines of, you should be more careful about openly carrying your gun for all to see because someone might think you're trying to rob them. My response was something like, if I was going to rob someone, I'd probably already have my gun out and be yelling at people to get on the ground, etc. Not walking calmly into a place with my gun safely holstered on my belt. (And I definitely would not try to rob a gun shop). I also mentioned that I know Mike and that he's known me for years and has never said anything about me OC'ing in his shop. Some people still see OC'ing in a negative light and think that the general public will freak and just add to the negative reputation that gunowners already get. Also, any business owner has to keep in mind that anyone can come in with a gun (or any kind of weapon) at any time with the intention of robbing them so I can see why he reacted the way he did. So while I can see where/why the guy had a problem, I also think that if it isn't his shop, and it isn't the shop's rules, he should keep his mouth shut unless the owner tells him to ask people to leave because they are OC'ing. That way, the guy working in the shop, doesn't cost Mike some business. I know that would've angered me and possibly could've kept me from spending my money in there so I can see your point, but at the same time, I'd let it go for now. Mike is a good guy and I've never had any real problems with him.

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    At gunshows I feel that rule is mostly for the people who set-up at the tables or someone that is bringing in their gun to sell or trade. You don't want some prospective customer playing with a loaded gun on someones table. On the other hand anyone legally carrying their weapon for personal defense should not have to unload it. To make it worst they put that stupid wire tie through it.
    Just my personal opinion.

Im glad you said this. I got scolded by one of the officers at the desk for putting a loaded magazine in my back pocket as i handed him my cleared weapon. He more or less called me an idiot and told me to take all the bullets out of the magazine. Like thats gonna make a difference. That zip tie isnt made of steal officer.

I live in the area, and anyone who has parked there car near the fair grounds and walks, would carry their gun loaded too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I seem to be ignorant of these situations on purpose. I never look for signs on the door of establishments that I patronize. If I am going to spend money or even if I am just browsing I just walk in. I have always closed threads that tell me where I can't carry, because i may see a place I eat at.

I am all for open carry and do at times, I am not trying to jack the thread and change it to an OC/CC debate. Mostly I CC but I have OC'd in the gunstores around the Lake County area and never had a problem.

I have found out after the fact that I had carried illegally in the Lake County Libraries, prior to June last year, oops Sorry. I had studied the IC and it was not illegal according to State or Federal law and was not aware that the library was a political unit and could prohibit the carrying of handguns.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I seem to be ignorant of these situations on purpose. I never look for signs on the door of establishments that I patronize. If I am going to spend money or even if I am just browsing I just walk in. I have always closed threads that tell me where I can't carry, because i may see a place I eat at.

I am all for open carry and do at times, I am not trying to jack the thread and change it to an OC/CC debate. Mostly I CC but I have OC'd in the gunstores around the Lake County area and never had a problem.

I have found out after the fact that I had carried illegally in the Lake County Libraries, prior to June last year, oops Sorry. I had studied the IC and it was not illegal according to State or Federal law and was not aware that the library was a political unit and could prohibit the carrying of handguns.

Holy batman thread revival!

...if he doesn't want my business, he doesn't get my money! Same goes for Walmart and any other stores...

Top Bottom