• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I have heard grapvine story that some guys got tickets and guns confiscated at Camp Atterbury for not having their gun permits.

Apperently it is not legal to transport your pistol after you buy it with out a permit. :popcorn:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Apperently it is not legal to transport your pistol after you buy it with out a permit. :popcorn:

There is no "apparently". The law is quite clear but many people either choose to ignore it or choose to believe "that can't possibly be the case, that's stupid!"

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What Scutter said. The law is clearly stated. Those people, either did not not know the law, highly doubtful. Or chose to ignore it, highly likely.

End of story!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have heard grapvine story that some guys got tickets and guns confiscated at Camp Atterbury for not having their gun permits.

Like pretty much allready siad the law is quite clear, can transport a pistol from place of purchase to pernament dweling, from pernament dwelling to place for repair and back and from place of pernament dwelling to your next place of pernament dwelling (if you are moving or something).

The problem is to many people just "assume".

I don't think a lot of people ignoore the law or choose to, just assume or choose not to look into it because they would rather assume. The police could fill their ticket books if they went to the shooting ranges on a daily baises I bet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Scutter said it, but another tidbit is that there is currently legislation to make it legal to do so, so call your state reps and tell them you support it!

Indiana's handgun license is inexpensive and one doesn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, compared to many other states. Allowing one to carry a pistol to and from a range without a license could open a big can of worms. One could always claim that he or she is going to or coming from a range and it would be hard to prove otherwise. I don't think the law as it stands is unreasonable.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Indiana's handgun license is inexpensive and one doesn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, compared to many other states. Allowing one to carry a pistol to and from a range without a license could open a big can of worms. One could always claim that he or she is going to or coming from a range and it would be hard to prove otherwise. I don't think the law as it stands is unreasonable.

There will be a lot of differing opinions about this statement. I disagree that the LTCH is inexpensive. $125 is a lot of money and better spent on a training class or better gear. Especially since IN is one of the few states that require a license to transport an unloaded handgun to a range. As a shooter I want to see more people buying guns and going to the range. Our laws in their current form do not make sense and are really no more then another way to generate money. I personally do not have a problem with the license for defensive carry. But there will several who feel this to is an infringement of rights. To be honest I can not argue with this logic. I don't see the carry license going away, but we can make it easier for people to own handguns and practice.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    There will be a lot of differing opinions about this statement. I disagree that the LTCH is inexpensive. $125 is a lot of money and better spent on a training class or better gear. Especially since IN is one of the few states that require a license to transport an unloaded handgun to a range. As a shooter I want to see more people buying guns and going to the range. Our laws in their current form do not make sense and are really no more then another way to generate money. I personally do not have a problem with the license for defensive carry. But there will several who feel this to is an infringement of rights. To be honest I can not argue with this logic. I don't see the carry license going away, but we can make it easier for people to own handguns and practice.

from the point of view of how much they cost in other states, it is more inexpensive, especially when you take into account indiana has a lifetime LTCH

but i agree it would be nice to do away with the antiquated law requiring a license to transport one in your vehicle (i.e. trunk or behind truck seat field stripped with ammo in a seperate box)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A four year Hunting/Target Shooting Carry License is $15.00

A lifetime Hunting/Target Shooting Carry License is $75.00

If you can't afford that, you can't afford ammo.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't see the carry license going away, but we can make it easier for people to own handguns and practice.

Going to the store, filling out a simple form, buying the handgun and taking it home the same day isn't easy enough?

I don't understand why people can't just be happy with the way we have it here in Indiana. It's 1000x better then a lot of other states.

I support the laws in this state regarding transportation of handguns. If you think $125 is a lot of money then you probably should not be investing hundreds of dollars into firearms and ammunition.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Our legislators are so SMART with this law, darn good way to promote gun safety, if a citizen is legal to buy and own a handgun but does not want a LTCH then they should allow for them to transport it to a gun range (even if it has to be secured during travel to and fro) this would at least help promote gun safety, how many handguns laying under beds and in nightstands have never been shot or trained with? Geez, another law of "unintended consequences"

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I can honestly say my wife and I were going to the range and target shooting for a month before I ran across this website and found out we were illegal in doing so. We are not stupid people, I just assumed we were alright in doing so as long as the pistol was out of reach and the ammo was seperate.

I have my lisence and she has applied for hers and I'm really thankful we didn't get in trouble.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You have to get a license because you really do not have a 2nd Amendment right unless you are at home.

That's true, at least as to handguns, I guess. Or at least in the eyes of Indiana legislators some years back...

I wonder if they addressed the issue today what we would have?

Top Bottom