• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    from the point of view of how much they cost in other states, it is more inexpensive, especially when you take into account indiana has a lifetime LTCH

but i agree it would be nice to do away with the antiquated law requiring a license to transport one in your vehicle (i.e. trunk or behind truck seat field stripped with ammo in a seperate box)

exactly what I was thinking..

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You have to get a license because you really do not have a 2nd Amendment right unless you are at home.

You don't even have it at home. It's still a privilege, subject to revocation by the government.

Smoke weed at home? Right's gone. Slap your wife? Gone. DV restraining order? Gone. Convicted felon? Gone.

The phrase "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" has been interpreted by the courts and legislature to actually mean THIS instead:

"...the right of the people of acceptable moral character to keep and bear those arms suitable for sporting purposes, with a minimum number of American-made parts, shall not be infringed, except in whatever manner the legislature, courts, and/or law enforcement deems appropriate."

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You don't even have it at home. It's still a privilege, subject to revocation by the government.

Smoke weed at home? Right's gone. Slap your wife? Gone. DV restraining order? Gone. Convicted felon? Gone.

The phrase "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" has been interpreted by the courts and legislature to actually mean THIS instead:

"...the right of the people of acceptable moral character to keep and bear those arms suitable for sporting purposes, with a minimum number of American-made parts, shall not be infringed, except in whatever manner the legislature, courts, and/or law enforcement deems appropriate."

Let me add to your statement. If your wife or girlfriend even say you hit them or file a restraining order you lose your rights immediately and due process comes later.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The funniest part is I can walk around town with my Mosin slung over my shoulder without a license. But I can't transport a locked handgun to the range? (Of course I do have my LTCH, just speaking hypothetically). I hope this passes.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Senate Bill 292, filed by state Senator Jim Tomes (R-49), would remove the originally grandfathered municipalities from the current preemption law and ensure that all Hoosier gun owners can enjoy the same level of statewide firearm freedoms, regardless of where they reside in Indiana. Indiana’s preemption statutes currently leave in place grandfathered local gun restrictions, as well as loopholes wide open for abuse by municipalities governed by anti-gun city officials. The law would also protect travelers throughout the state from running afoul of a patchwork of different gun laws when they cross municipal boundaries.

This is by far the most important one I found in this whole thing, bye bye south bend mag ban?

Maybe I won't be asked to leave next time....lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A four year Hunting/Terget Shooting Carry License is $15.00

A lifetime Hunting/Target Shootnig Carry License is $75.00

If you can't afford that, you can't afford ammo.

This actually illustrates my point. Basically the same process for the 4 year or the lifetime license. So why the difference in cost? Now don't get me wrong I agree with the state recouping the administrative cost of issuing those pink slips. But let's face it there is really no reason for a price difference. Besides it is not the cost as much ad the principal. If a person is of the character to own a gun, they should be able to take it to the range. (I know nobody is suggesting othdrwise.) I just don't think it is right that people have to pay for that right or have to use a vacation day to go to the police station. At least with the new system it is getting better.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Going to the store, filling out a simple form, buying the handgun and taking it home the same day isn't easy enough?

I don't understand why people can't just be happy with the way we have it here in Indiana. It's 1000x better then a lot of other states.

I support the laws in this state regarding transportation of handguns. If you think $125 is a lot of money then you probably should not be investing hundreds of dollars into firearms and ammunition.

True there are states that have more restrictive laws. But there are those that are better as well. I have lived in several states and in all cases I could buy a handgun and take it home that day. Indiana laws are ok, but they can be better.

Is a $125 a lot of money? That is all relative. For some it is. Also not everyone wants to spend thousands of dollars in guns and ammo. It may not be our cup of tea but there is nothing wrong with some of the lower priced handguns on the market. Why should a person have to pay half the cost of their just to be able to practice with it?

I would be surprised if even 10% of these handguns are not shot or trained with because of a license requirement.

I can think of two people off the top of my head that are putting off buying handguns because of the LTCH. Not the price so much ad the hassle. These are good people and current gun owners. Once they cross that line into handguns I have no doubt they will be advocates for gun rights. I can also think of one young man that simply does not have the money for the license. Hey it can be tough being young and just starting out. He does have a nice .22 pistol that he could practice with, but he can't legally take it to his families farm. As a result he just doesn't and shoots his .22 rifle.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I have heard grapvine story that some guys got tickets and guns confiscated at Camp Atterbury for not having their gun permits.

Apperently it is not legal to transport your pistol without a license, except to a place of repair or while moving your residence or place of business, after you buy it [strike]with out a permit[/strike]. :popcorn:

I know... no one likes a grammar nazi but one does not require a permit to buy a handgun.

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    ok let me understand what your are saying. I buy a gun go home, then the next day when I drive to a shooting range, I get pulled over(for speeding or minor stuff) and because I have no license to carry a handgun the cop will give me a ticket for that and take my gun away(even I have no problems with the law)? Of course this is all hypothetical for me I'm licenced and have never in my life been pulled over with a gun on me either. Sorry but I don't think some people will take that ligthly. I mean just that law will produce more danger for the cops, because now people who do know won't tell them about a weapon in a car for where they're going, and if the cops deside to investingate, then it could very well turn into a shoot out because they're going to lose their gun(and some are not cheap at all). That my take on this, but other wise 175$ is not alot for lifetime license.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    ok let me understand what your are saying. I buy a gun go home, then the next day when I drive to a shooting range, I get pulled over(for speeding or minor stuff) and because I have no license to carry a handgun the cop will give me a ticket for that and take my gun away(even I have no problems with the law)?

YES

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    ...So I'm moving here from Tennessee. I possess a valid TN HGCP (handgun carry permit - for the purpose of concealed-carry). According to the TN gov. site, this permit is "recognized" by the State of Indiana. However, this is not a "let's load up a bag of pistols and head to our favorite shooting spot" license, since TN doesn't bother regulating such nonsense.

As I transition to becoming a permanent resident of this state, I intend to get the same Concealed Carry Permit as outlined in IC 35-47-2-3. Will this allow me to pack up my pistolas and haul them to my shooting spot and enjoy them without being molested by Officer Fife, or do I need the hunting/target license or something else?

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    Because you are breaking the law.

well yes, but exactly what part of it and does it state it? and why we as citizents of this country and Indiana cannot get a clear statement of what we can do and cannot even if we think its legal and safe. P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, if it does seem like that or that I'm being disrespectfull, I appreciate you answering my questions, I know the questions are stupid, but my friend doesn't have a permit to carry/license and he goes to Attenbury range every other week. + he goes with 4 handguns and they're not exactlly cheap so I'm sure that he would be happy getting them taken away.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    ...So I'm moving here from Tennessee. I possess a valid TN HGCP (handgun carry permit - for the purpose of concealed-carry). According to the TN gov. site, this permit is "recognized" by the State of Indiana. However, this is not a "let's load up a bag of pistols and head to our favorite shooting spot" license, since TN doesn't bother regulating such nonsense.

As I transition to becoming a permanent resident of this state, I intend to get the same Concealed Carry Permit as outlined in IC 35-47-2-3. Will this allow me to pack up my pistolas and haul them to my shooting spot and enjoy them without being molested by Officer Fife, or do I need the hunting/target license or something else?

Getting the unlimited LTCH will allow you to carry, for range and personal protection, we in Indiana don't bother telling one how to carry their gun, CC, OC it's up to you:D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    well yes, but exactly what part of it and does it state it? and why we as citizents of this country and Indiana cannot get a clear statement of what we can do and cannot even if we think its legal and safe. P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, if it does seem like that or that I'm being disrespectfull, I appreciate you answering my questions, I know the questions are stupid, but my friend doesn't have a permit to carry/license and he goes to Attenbury range every other week. + he goes with 4 handguns and they're not exactlly cheap so I'm sure that he would be happy getting them taken away.

Carrying a handgun off your property is illegal in Indiana, having a liscense is an exception to this law, I would advise your friend to get his LTCH and hold off on his range trips until he recieves it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    well yes, but exactly what part of it and does it state it?

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.
    IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Text highlighted by me.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    IC 35-47-2-1

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC 35-47-2-2

Sec. 2. (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Link to the code: Indiana Code 35-47-2

Edit:Thanks Esrice, you beat me too to it!

Last edited:

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.
    IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Text highlighted by me.

okey, then, lol thanks yeah I'm about go hang out with him, I'll let him know/or for that matter show this thread. Thanks so much for answering my questions and clearing it up. All I got to say is I'm glad I got my license after I bough my 1st gun. Yeah no worrys, but I still think that its bunch of bull, but I guess there is those who do think that hey I doing everything safely and legally (that where their wrong as I jsut understood) and then there are those who do a drive by and when get pulled over tell the cop hey I just went to the range. By the way is there a number of handguns, long guns and etc. that you can carry to the range or on you that is your licensed. Because I shoot at my buddy's farm and I had a "mafia load" in my trunk.(yeah you should have seen by buddys eyes-Holy**** what the hell-Surplus ammo + it was my b-day 2days ago) But thank you again I'm kind of happy that I found this form has helped me alot and I learned alot.:patriot::ar15::ingo:

Top Bottom