• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    well yes, but exactly what part of it and does it state it? and why we as citizents of this country and Indiana cannot get a clear statement of what we can do and cannot even if we think its legal and safe. P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, if it does seem like that or that I'm being disrespectfully, I appreciate you answering my questions, I know the questions are stupid, but my friend doesn't have a permit to carry/license and he goes to Attenbury range every other week. + he goes with 4 handguns and they're not exactly cheap so I'm sure that he would be happy getting them taken away.

I would politely tell you friend, if he does not want to loose his firearms, and get a fine. He better get his license to carry handgun.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Indiana's handgun license is inexpensive and one doesn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, compared to many other states. Allowing one to carry a pistol to and from a range without a license could open a big can of worms. One could always claim that he or she is going to or coming from a range and it would be hard to prove otherwise. I don't think the law as it stands is unreasonable.

As it stands now, someone could claim they just bought it from a private sale. There really is no difference.

Changing the law could allow legal transportation, it could provide the provision that it must be in a secure wrapper, and it would be much more commen sense. Many people do not realize that you can not transport it without an LTCH to go to the range. It is really a bit of an oddity. My father and grandfather have been shooting for years, and neither of them were aware of the law, since they rarely shoot pistols.

Frankly, I would like to see the law changed. I would really like to see it changed in a way that would allow someone to carry a pistol in their glove box legally without a license in a manor that would allow it to be useful (loaded, or at the very least ammo near by).

...So I'm moving here from Tennessee. I possess a valid TN HGCP (handgun carry permit - for the purpose of concealed-carry). According to the TN gov. site, this permit is "recognized" by the State of Indiana. However, this is not a "let's load up a bag of pistols and head to our favorite shooting spot" license, since TN doesn't bother regulating such nonsense.

As I transition to becoming a permanent resident of this state, I intend to get the same Concealed Carry Permit as outlined in IC 35-47-2-3. Will this allow me to pack up my pistolas and haul them to my shooting spot and enjoy them without being molested by Officer Fife, or do I need the hunting/target license or something else?

Indiana would allow you to transport your pistols to your new place of residence, even without a license or permit. Your TN permit is valid in Indiana until you become a legal resident. At that point Indiana will no longer recognize it, and you MUST get an Indiana license to transport your pistols. You may get a Target/Hunt license, which is cheaper. That will allow you to transport it to and from a place to hunt or shoot. Alternatively, you could get an Unlimited license, which would allow you to transport it anywhere, and carry it on your person. You will not be restricted in how you can carry it.

In my opinion, the Target/Hunt license is worthless. Spend the extra cash and get an Unlimited. For that matter, get a Lifetime Unlimited while you are at. Dont forget to pay the extra $10.95 for the digital prints, or else you will have to wait for three months before your license is granted. (There is a long backlog)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sorry but I don't think some people will take that ligthly. I mean just that law will produce more danger for the cops, because now people who do know won't tell them about a weapon in a car for where they're going, and if the cops deside to investingate, then it could very well turn into a shoot out because they're going to lose their gun
    I can't believe that you are insinuating that someone would shoot at a police officer because of something like this. Anyone who can't control himself or herself shouldn't carry a firearm nor even own one. The responsibility that goes with carrying a handgun is truly awesome. I think most who carry take that responsibility seriously and follow all laws. I think many of them learn to accept bad behavior from others without reacting, simply because they are carrying and don't want to escalate a bad situation.

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    I can't believe that you are insinuating that someone would shoot at a police officer because of something like this. Anyone who can't control himself or herself shouldn't carry a firearm nor even own one. The responsibility that goes with carrying a handgun is truly awesome. I think most who carry take that responsibility seriously and follow all laws. I think many of them learn to accept bad behavior from others without reacting, simply because they are carrying and don't want to escalate a bad situation.
    I'm not insisting, I don't know and that I'm trying to point out that bad part of it. If you ok with having been taken your gun away that cost 5000$ or 10,000 and it a collectable then that all you. I know I wouldn't be happy, that doesn't mean I would shoot the cops. But I don't think their life is going to easier after that. See I do understand that there is laws and the best way to do something about it if I think its wrong, is read books and find loop hole that you can use in order to justify your action and then not only get apollogy but also a compensation. But if you think I'm crazy that all you, I'm guessing this only after reading news and similar situations, and all I'm saying that this is worst of the worst that can happen(well no it can be more worst) its a just a suggestion. Not everyone is 100% stable who owns a gun.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not insisting, I don't know and that I'm trying to point out that bad part of it. If you ok with having been taken your car away that cost 5000$ or 10,000 and it a collectable then that all you. I know I wouldn't be happy, that doesn't mean I would run over the cops. But I don't think their life is going to easier after that. See I do understand that there is laws and the best way to do something about it if I think its wrong, is read books and find loop hole that you can use in order to justify your action and then not only get apollogy but also a compensation. But if you think I'm crazy that all you, I'm guessing this only after reading news and similar situations, and all I'm saying that this is worst of the worst that can happen(well no it can be more worst) its a just a suggestion. Not everyone is 100% stable who owns a car.

There, fixed it for you.

Why place the blame on an inanimate object?

Laws are just restrictions and control on peaceful people.

CRIMINALS don't obey the law anyhow... that is why they are CRIMINALS!

kspa57

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Avon
    There, fixed it for you.

Why place the blame on an inanimate object?

Laws are just restrictions and control on peaceful people.

CRIMINALS don't obey the law anyhow... that is why they are CRIMINALS!
    Thank you. Exactly its just my prediction. Although my buddy wasn't suprised about the law. He said well I'll drive my happy a to sheriff depart and get a license its not that hard. :rockwoot:Oh and he told me to tell you guys thanks. :patriot:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Indiana's handgun license is inexpensive and one doesn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one, compared to many other states. Allowing one to carry a pistol to and from a range without a license could open a big can of worms. One could always claim that he or she is going to or coming from a range and it would be hard to prove otherwise. I don't think the law as it stands is unreasonable.

I see no reason why one should not be allowed to transport a legal, unloaded, secured firearm without a LTCH. I don't see any can of worms there at all. It doesn't matter whether I'm taking it over to granny's house or to the range. If it's unloaded, ammunition in seperate compartment, or whatever might be considered adequate to render the firearm safe and not easily accessible to fire, why should one need a LTCH for that?

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Carrying a handgun off your property is illegal in Indiana, having a liscense is an exception to this law, I would advise your friend to get his LTCH and hold off on his range trips until he recieves it.

^ uh-huh. agreed. ^

I'm in the same boat myself. Haven't been able to shoot my pistol yet because it is illegal to take it off my property to a safe place to do it. Wish I had done the L1 instead of the old-fashioned way! I do support a change in the law. I understand needing a permit for carrying loaded, but unloaded, secured, disassembled, etc? Seems that law needs changing. The law really makes no sense to me, but I have to abide by it.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    Back to the original question, I talked to Eric at Atterbury about this after it happened and he told me that the prosecutor had a talk with the DNR officer who did this and they gave everyone their guns back. It shouldn't happen again.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    In my opinion you need to get the law changed, the way it stands we here in Illinois have better transport laws than Indiana. Unloaded in a case and if you are an Illinois resident with a FOID card you are good to go. Jim.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In my opinion you need to get the law changed, the way it stands we here in Illinois have better transport laws than Indiana. Unloaded in a case and if you are an Illinois resident with a FOID card you are good to go. Jim.

Exactly. Been saying that for years.

This may finally be the year Indiana's crazy handgun transport restriction gets tossed.

Yes, tossed... like a salad. :D

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Back to the original question, I talked to Eric at Atterbury about this after it happened and he told me that the prosecutor had a talk with the DNR officer who did this and they gave everyone their guns back. It shouldn't happen again.

I'm happy it will not happen again, but I think they should still check and let the people know they are not OK to keep doing it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Agreed except for the FOID card. Not sure what the process is for getting a FOID, but I am pretty sure we don't want it in Indiana. But you are correct that Indiana's transport laws need a little common sense introduced.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ticketed for what exactly?

CWOL is a misdemeanor or felony. Under what statute are they issuing tickets?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I'm happy it will not happen again, but I think they should still check and let the people know they are not OK to keep doing it.
    I was shooting in the pistol lanes that day with my wife and chickenman and I posted it on here. The encounter with the DNR officer was brief and pleasant....(for those of us with a LTCH). In talking with others who were also there, it seems that the prosecutor chose not to prosecute in this case. The way it will be handled in the future may change, but the DNR officer was entirely within his rights.My guess is that it will indeed happen again, but perhaps with different consequences.
    Just get the license....and make sure those you take shooting with you are legal as well......it's easy, and then after you are checked, you can BS with the DNR officer about firearms,....... instead of how to get them back.:):

Top Bottom