• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Do you remember Dr Gootee in Jasper? He's passed but his dad was my great grandpa's horse doctor. Other great grandparents. They had a farm in Montgomery. The family graveyard is there.
    So thread jack history lesson nobody knows. Loogootee doesn't know where the Loo came from. Gootee, not sure which generation, developed the town. Loo financed it. Wisdom passed down.

Crap, you probably know where Kyana was. Great grandmother Pearl, that was her father's town. He owned it. Store, hotel, and train station. It died when automobiles came around. He retired to his farm, which is part of Ferdinand forest, and Pearl was born in a log cabin there.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Do you remember Dr Gootee in Jasper? He's passed but his dad was my great grandpa's horse doctor. Other great grandparents. They had a farm in Montgomery. The family graveyard is there.
    So thread jack history lesson nobody knows. Loogootee doesn't know where the Loo came from. Gootee, not sure which generation, developed the town. Loo financed it. Wisdom passed down.

Crap, you probably know where Kyana was. Great grandmother Pearl, that was her father's town. He owned it. Store, hotel, and train station. It died when automobiles came around. He retired to his farm, which is part of Ferdinand forest, and Pearl was born in a log cabin there.

I know exactly where it is, I grew up in the St. Anthony/St. Marks/Kyana area. The family history you have is awesome.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My white shepherd is from Montgomery. 4 wolf crossings in her breed, and some traits. Foot prints side by side when running, hair that sticks up on the back of her tail. Overly protective. Buggie town. A car is an oddity.. I work with my grandpas brother's grandson and his dad still lives there. His aunt was sister Mary at the Ferdinand monastery, good friends with the Brady Bunch mom, who was from Dale. More s#!t facts.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Back on topic. Kids are naturally curious about guns. I'm sure one member on INGO has snuck one out of the house and had to explain where the ammo went. But school? What for? Can't even brush up against one today or you'll have eyes on you.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Typically, these kids get caught with their gun because they tell somebody about it. The word gets passed along until it finally hits a kid who has a little sense and tells a staff member. The kid at NCHS was just wandering the halls when he should've been in class, I'm told. While he was being questioned about it, somebody got suspicious and searched his backpack. He's an example of why school police officers are armed in Marion County/Indpls. If you're looking for a reason why he had a gun to begin with, look no farther than his home life.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Two more guns found in students' backpacks today - one at Ben Davis and one at North Central. One just the other day at Lawrence Central. WTH are these kids thinking?? I mean let's face it, this isn't the good ol' days when we had them in the back window of our pickup trucks or in the trunk so we could go hunting after school.

https://www.wthr.com/article/student-gun-stopped-north-central-high-school

https://www.wthr.com/article/student-gun-arrested-ben-davis-hs-firearm-found-not-loaded

"I'm not going to be one of the poor kids that get smoked by some psycho?" This is the state of the world we live in now. Those kids probably were bad apples, but the premise is serious. If your kid went to school in a drug ridden, crime infested area, would you really be all that surprised if they took steps to defend themselves? How would you handle it, if it was you that discovered the weapon in their backpack, and not the school? And let's get to fantastical about this. Lots of kids come from broken homes in very bad neighborhoods, and for the most part have to do a lot of their growing up on their own.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "I'm not going to be one of the poor kids that get smoked by some psycho?" This is the state of the world we live in now. Those kids probably were bad apples, but the premise is serious. If your kid went to school in a drug ridden, crime infested area, would you really be all that surprised if they took steps to defend themselves? How would you handle it, if it was you that discovered the weapon in their backpack, and not the school? And let's get to fantastical about this. Lots of kids come from broken homes in very bad neighborhoods, and for the most part have to do a lot of their growing up on their own.

First, none of these kids are old enough to legally carry a handgun. Second, where did they get the guns? If one of them were my kid, and the gun was mine, an ass-whoopin' would commence post-haste because they would have had to have "stolen" it from my safe without my permission or knowledge. And I would have to review my security regimen. If they got it somewhere else, I would get names, and the police would be involved. And their chore list would grow such that they wouldn't have the strength left in their arms to pick up a gun and put it in their backpack for a LONG time. A tired kid is a kid that's not going to have time to be getting into trouble. Lots of kids grow up in bad neighborhoods. If they have to grow up on their own, then that's on their parent(s). Somehow I think in the two cases I linked to, I doubt that self defense was the motivation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First, none of these kids are old enough to legally carry a handgun. Second, where did they get the guns? If one of them were my kid, and the gun was mine, an ass-whoopin' would commence post-haste because they would have had to have "stolen" it from my safe without my permission or knowledge. And I would have to review my security regimen. If they got it somewhere else, I would get names, and the police would be involved. And their chore list would grow such that they wouldn't have the strength left in their arms to pick up a gun and put it in their backpack for a LONG time. A tired kid is a kid that's not going to have time to be getting into trouble. Lots of kids grow up in bad neighborhoods. If they have to grow up on their own, then that's on their parent(s). Somehow I think in the two cases I linked to, I doubt that self defense was the motivation.

Would legality prevent you from taking the the appropriate steps to defend yourself if you had a legitimate concern of being harmed?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Would legality prevent you from taking the the appropriate steps to defend yourself if you had a legitimate concern of being harmed?

No. But in this case if my kids felt they were in danger they would openly share this with me. Then steps would be taken.
    Unless I am missing something

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No. But in this case if my kids felt they were in danger they would openly share this with me. Then steps would be taken.
    Unless I am missing something

Don't take this wrong, CM, but that's because you actually get it that "parent" is a verb and not just a noun. There are SO many "parents" out there that don't have the first inkling what it means to actually BE a parent. I see the results every single school day. It's so easy to tell which kids have parents who a) have a clue and b) really care about their kids' success compared to those who don't. Sadly, letting "the street" raise kids seems to be in fashion nowadays for way, WAY too many "parents"...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Don't take this wrong, CM, but that's because you actually get it that "parent" is a verb and not just a noun. There are SO many "parents" out there that don't have the first inkling what it means to actually BE a parent. I see the results every single school day. It's so easy to tell which kids have parents who a) have a clue and b) really care about their kids' success compared to those who don't. Sadly, letting "the street" raise kids seems to be in fashion nowadays for way, WAY too many "parents"...

Exactly. I can't count the times that Ive encounters "kids" that were the responsible people in a family of ****bags. Many of us have the privilege of never having been in such a situation, but sadly there are too many example of the contrary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So true.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    People are scary. To try and make an inanimate object scary you have to associate it with bad memories. To accomplish this you have the msm bombard the masses with the same rhetoric over and over, then it has to be true.

High capacity magazine, assault weapon, large amounts of ammo, these all give the swayed masses the "guilty even if proven innocent" social momentum gun grabbers desire...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At 59 years old? No, probably not (although I do abide by the law when forced to disarm in government facilities, etc.). At 14 or 15? Wouldn't be a consideration. Just wouldn't do it, nor would I have been allowed to do so, at least not with a handgun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My kids grew up sleeping close or in the same room with gun safes. They never asked or tried to sneak the combinations.
    They were bullied at points in life as everybody is. But they never took a gun to school as a result of bullying or in retaliation for mistreatment. They had fights and the normal crap. If things went critical we discussed it. Openly and honestly. Actions were taken and always ignored by the school admins. Then when critical mass was achieved and noses were bloodied I would get an angry call from one of the idiots in the front office .

The convo went like this once......Your daughter was in a fight and really hurt the other girl. I responded, you mean the other girl that I and my wife have told you people more than a few times about. The one that has been bullying my daughter for a couple of weeks now.

Silence. Then a very soft....."Yes" that one.

OK I am on my way. Prepare yourselves.

School Admins are for the most part useless and could care until things get ugly then are looking to point fingers.
    It played out just like I told the daughter it would.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looks like the Nobleville Parents want "something". How many more words on paper are needed to be safe? A quote from Jim Lucas is below too.

“We think it’s time the state take a very serious look at maybe making some changes in the law that can help keep us safe,” Steve Rogers said.

Lawmakers like State Rep. Jim Lucas (R-Seymour) are also pushing for a new approach.

“We have to have an intellectually honest conversation about this issue. It’s not going away, it’s only going to continue to get worse, and making more and more laws that will only be as big a failure as the dozens of existing laws we have right now. That’s not the right approach, “ he said.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/23/parents-call-for-new-gun-laws-following-string-of-school-incidents/

Top Bottom