• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do with your guns with young kids in the house?

• Total voters

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Right now I keep my guns in the bedroom in one of those green metal safes that can be had for around $150. There is only one key. I have the key on my person during the day and at night I put the key in the safe, so if I need to get to them, all I have to do is turn the key and grab the loaded shotgun or pistol.
    I am interested in hearing what you all are doing. Just for the fun of it, I've added a pole.

jlm262

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    indianapolis
    i do not have kids but i know people that have guns and kids. let them know you have guns dont hide it,and i personaly would keep it in the safe. so i pretty much just agree with sheep dog :)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Btw, most of my guns are stored in my gun safe. The kids know the code so they aren't in the safe to deter my kids.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.

I agree. My son has known from 4-5 yrs of age that if he asks, I'll get guns out and show him. BUT he has to ask politely and sit still and do exactly what I tell him to do. He knows not to touch a gun if an adult isn't there and to go get an adult if he sees a gun somewhere. Things that are mysteries are usually much more attractive to children. The term attractive nuisance comes to mind.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My kids are grown now. I always kept them open and obvious. The kids all knew what guns could do as they went shooting or at least watched me shoot from the time they were born. They also knew if they played with them without permission there would be holy hell to pay. Never had a problem.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Awesome, that's how I will do it. For my house I will tell them they can see the guns anytime they want to, just ask, and I'll drop everything and show them, so you can teach them at the same time.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have a son on the way, due in June, and I don't plan on changing much. I will keep my pistol on my side at all times instead of laying near me, and I went from condition 1 to cruiser safe with my shotgun. I never chambered my rifle for home defense before. The rest are in the safe, all are loaded.
    I voted "other".

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Agreed. Take away the mystery of what mom and dad are hiding and the kids could care less.

All mine are open to see throughout the day. None of my 4 kids even give my firearms a 2nd look anymore while in the house. If they want to see one they just ask. Its all about education and trust.

However, it isnt YOUR kids you need worry about. It's your kids friends that aren't accustomed to the same home lifestyle. Those morons will be how an accident happens. Because of that, my guns are easily put up with the locked fingerprint reader door handle when the kids friends are around.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So, we make no secret about the fact that we have guns. Our idea was that rather than someday have the kids accidently "run into" one (ours or someone else's), we would show them to the kids and subsequently drill gun safety into them. We bought them bb guns and made them treat theirs as "real" guns. When they finish shooting, the bb guns get locked in the safe and everything. Any small infraction of basic gun safety results in loss of shooting priveleges for a while so they are very careful to follow the rules.

We keep ours in safes with combinations as that is what we prefer. No keys to misplace or lose.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If I am not carrying it then its locked up. This is more a hedge against burglars than my own kids. If the kids want to see a gun we get it out and look at it. If they want to shoot it we go shooting.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have no younglings around, but everything is locked up.

Nothing is left to chance and I don't have to worry about it. It's a matter of organization, security, and respect for what they are.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I keep my guns out of sight, but my kids know where they are and if they want to see one I let them (unloaded and supervised). I agree with others take the "Aww" factor away from the guns. Teach them early about the dangers and the pleasures of shooting. Also, my kids are 5 and 16months so they are not home unsupervised.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I keep my handgun under the seat of my car and the shotgun in the closet. My girl is to young right now but I want to teach her gun safety. I hope she will take an interest and go shooting with me some day when she's old enough.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Most of mine are locked up in the safe. My EDC is always accessible. My wife and kids all know where they are. My youngest is eight and has been shooting with me since she was four. She has proven to me that she can safely handle and fire guns. The only time all of mine are secured is when others, that have not proven themselves competent, are in the house.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

+Eleventy-billion

I have 4 small kids (oldest is 9). Guns are on the dresser, nightstand, closets, and they are all loaded. Kids don't touch them unless they ask first. And if they ask, I am happy to safely unload them and show the kids. It's to the point now that they dont even ask anymore. The curiosity is gone.

Top Bottom