• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do with your guns with young kids in the house?

• Total voters

dale46226

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Indy
    I don't have kids at home anymore, but my grandkids come on the weekend so they're locked away...except for the one that stay attached to the hip!:yesway:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Here's Indiana law on the subject:

IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.5.

Here are the "section 1" exemptions:

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

Neglect of a Dependent, IC 35-46-1-4, may also come into play
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar46/ch1.html

Last edited:

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Guns in the house and young kids.

There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.

Well said. My youngest kid of 3 is now 24 and at a young age I taught them gun safety, respect and took them to the range and let them shoot any gun they wanted. I feel I removed all their curiosity regarding guns and educated them at the same time. Today my youngest (age 24, daughter) enjoys to shoot with me. Problem is she always wants me to gift her one of my guns after we shoot together. Not!.
    JD

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I keep my rifles and antique handguns in a gun locker, locked up at all times. As for my HD weapons, I have them hidden around the house, and educate my children that: 1. They are not toys, and should be treated as such. 2. They can feel free to ask questions, and I will even let them hold them, (unloaded, of course), any time they ask. 3. They can NEVER speak of it to their friends, and if their friends are over, the guns will NOT be coming out of hiding. 4. Hell hath no fury like a daddy who finds out his kids are breaking the rules :xmad:..... I personally feel that kids get into trouble with guns out of curiosity. If they know about them, and what they are capable of, they are no longer curious, IMHO.....:twocents:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I keep my guns (except for the CCW of the day) in a safe. The safe stays unlocked when the wife or I am at home, and we lock it when we leave the house. Before I had a safe, they were stored in my closet, with a cable lock running through them and attached to the gun rack that was bolted to the wall.
    My son, now 12, knows, and practices safe gun handling, and also knows that all he has to do is ask, and I will stop what I am doing to let him handle/shoot any of them. He even has been known to come down and help out on the reloading bench st times.
    I dont lock up my guns to keep them from him, but to protect him and myself from the chance that if something did happen, I would be called a bad parent for trusting my son.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My guns are out in the open on a very high shelf that I can barely reach. We regularly talk about them and discuss safety. The "mystery" is gone and they know they cant touch them without me.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.

I agree when it comes to MY kids they will not touch one of mine or thier guns without permission from me fisrt. The concern I have with people that leave loaded guns around is what the hell do you do when your kid has friends over who may or may not be aware of dangers, etc. My kids have friends over all the time and because of this I leave all my guns locked up unless one is on me. I lock the ammo up as well. :twocents:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I keep my hand guns sepreat thay are in the cases they came in with a lock around the handles. The locks are keyed the same. The ammo is also lock in a sepreat case. I have on key on my key ring and the other one in the safety deposit box. I keep my carry gun loaded all the time. It is also lock away when I am not carrying. I do have a alarm on my house on all doors and windows. So I feel comfortable not have it in reach when sleeping. Oh I do have two young kids. We talk about it all the time to be safe around guns.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    My kids know I carry always and they know there are plenty of guns around the house. I don't leave them laying around but their not all under lock and key either. My kids know if they want to mess with the guns to ask me and we can do it together.

FYI - someone on here said something about having all the guns in a box in the bedroom. Hope this never happens to you but if you get robbed, the bedroom is the first place they look. It's happened to me - I had a box like yours. Evidentially me keeping most things in the box made the whole event less work trip for the thieves.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Right now I keep my guns in the bedroom in one of those green metal safes that can be had for around $150. There is only one key. I have the key on my person during the day and at night I put the key in the safe, so if I need to get to them, all I have to do is turn the key and grab the loaded shotgun or pistol.
    I am interested in hearing what you all are doing. Just for the fun of it, I've added a pole.
    Thats really close to what I do, but I keep my CC piece in a bed holster right beside me. Even with a home security system, dog, and a wife that has hearing like sonar, I still keep it beside me.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    My wife and I are about to have our first child. She bought me a small quick open safe to keep my HD pistol in. Everything else will be locked in the safe.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Right now I keep my guns in the bedroom in one of those green metal safes that can be had for around $150. There is only one key. I have the key on my person during the day and at night I put the key in the safe, so if I need to get to them, all I have to do is turn the key and grab the loaded shotgun or pistol.
    I am interested in hearing what you all are doing. Just for the fun of it, I've added a pole.

Poll. one letter, big difference. One's for gals with fancy names and not enough clothes, the other's for radio buttons and voting. :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    We practice what others practice here with showing or taking the kids shooting with them anytime they ask. Like others, I think the element of curiosity being taken out goes a long way. My kids know what they are, what they can do and they know NEVER to mess with them without me or their mom. To date, they've never given us reason to doubt our trust in them.

Having said that though, the other day we had some kids from church over to play with our kids. Our kids are 8,7 and 6 and the church kids were the same age. This was our first experience with having "kids over." I was a nervous wreck even though all guns were in our room where they couldn't go, unloaded, with ammo out of touch. I trust my kids, but I didn't trust their friends. Very uneasy feeling.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My response is like some others. My son(14) shoots with me and cleans his own rifle). No curiosity because he has handled and shot everything I have. That being said, everything but what I am carrying is locked the the safe-for those times when I am not home or he has friends over when I am not home from work yet.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    What about troubled adults? Tonight I recieved a phone call from ny son in Tennessee. It seems his mother took her own life with my son's 30-06 deer rifle. In his house, in his bedroom and on his bed. He is crushed. She was addicted to priscription pain killers and hes was trying to help her get off them. He was being a GOOD son and the selfish b----h did this to him. He thought he had all the ammo hid. She found 1 round in a gun case and shot herself through the heart. I ask for your prayers for my children.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    What about troubled adults? Tonight I recieved a phone call from ny son in Tennessee. It seems his mother took her own life with my son's 30-06 deer rifle. In his house, in his bedroom and on his bed. He is crushed. She was addicted to priscription pain killers and hes was trying to help her get off them. He was being a GOOD son and the selfish b----h did this to him. He thought he had all the ammo hid. She found 1 round in a gun case and shot herself through the heart. I ask for your prayers for my children.

Wow.
    Just.
    WOW.

Sorry man. Prayers sent.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I settled on keeping the guns in the safe. The shotgun and pistol are loaded. I put the key in the safe, so in the event of an emergency at night, I turn the key, grab, and shoot. It's the best for me at the moment. My 4 year old daughter has asked to see the guns, which I've shown her and tried to reinforce to her some rules.

Top Bottom