• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do with your guns with young kids in the house?

• Total voters

raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    i have 3 kids i keep them locked up in my safe but any time anyone of them ask about them i drop all and take time to show them and talk about gun safe and how to use them and i let them shoot all the time all kids should know how to use a gun

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I dont have kids, but if I did I would keep them put up. But I would want them to be educated about firearms to know they are not toys! I would keep my HD pistol in the side drawer next to the bed at night, and put it up in the mornings.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    You can't childproof all your guns, but you can sure gunproof all your children. Start firearm safety training at an early age, like 2 years old. Remove the 'mystery' and take the kids shooting. Besides, even if you could secure every gun at your home, gunproof your child so he will know how to react when he is away from home.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    As a kid guns were always around: open gun racks with ammo in the unlocked drawers underneath; gun racks in the truck, etc. There was never any mystery, but there were always rules. Since we have our foster license we have different rules we are required to uphold, but there is no mystery about the guns and nobody EVER tries to touch them without permission.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mine is a mixture of seveal options. Majority of firearms and ammo are kept in large gun safe. Primary HD handgun is in lock box next to bed. Shotgun and AR15 are in locking devices in bedroom closet. My EDC/secondary HD handgun is kept in a key lockbox in my desk drawer. Keys for safe, lock box, and long gun locking device is kept on my car key ring. Spares are kept in super secret location.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I grew up with my siblings with loaded guns in the corner. My daughter grew up the same way. She knows about guns and they are a normal part of her life.

The only thing she does not like about it is that I do not allow other kids in the house. So at 14, no sleep overs does seem to suck to her...LOL

She also has her own guns and does enjoy shooting but I need to find someone else to train her other them myself. When she starts driving, I will never be teaching her. I feel the same way with shooting. I learning was years ago, I want her to learn the newer stuff.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    my kids are 2, 5, and 10, guns are nothing new to them, they know how to act around them, and they know that they are not toys. and thats the way I think it should be. Kids are going to learn a few thing about guns, If you dont teach them they will teach themselves,

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Mine like I've read on here from many started out at 2 & 3 yrs old. It wasnt nothing to find one loaded laying around. But when my boy hit 6 he developed ADD. At that point they started getting put up. When he was in 3rd grade, I made a mistake and left a few 22 bullets on my shelf. Got a call from the school....he'd taken a bullet to school. So everything got locked up from then on till he was 13, and finally outgrew the ADD.

Now at 20 he's got his own guns and ammo, and I don't worry about him anymore.

My daughter though. She's the one that a fine example of teaching at a young age.
    Never a problem with her.

If more people started teaching kids gun safety at an early age, there wouldn't be the problems we have with kids and guns like there is these days.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I grew up with my siblings with loaded guns in the corner. My daughter grew up the same way. She knows about guns and they are a normal part of her life.

The only thing she does not like about it is that I do not allow other kids in the house. So at 14, no sleep overs does seem to suck to her...LOL

She also has her own guns and does enjoy shooting but I need to find someone else to train her other them myself. When she starts driving, I will never be teaching her. I feel the same way with shooting. I learning was years ago, I want her to learn the newer stuff.

Don't keep her friends from sleepovers and visits.
    We have plenty on kids over all the time.Look at it as teachable moments for others. All their parents know we are gun owners. There is no playing with firearms.

Even when the kids are small toy guns have rules at my house.

Reguardless of loaded or not in my house EVERY gun is treated as if it was loaded and I have no problem telling that to visitors of all ages. :D

Top Bottom