• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    few minutes ago, I was letting my dogs outside... When they got out the door, it must have spooked a big possum that was tucked up the grille.... the dogs immediately charged it until it got under a lawn chair on my deck. The dogs sort of scattered away as I got down there, but just as I was pushing them off, the thing started hissing and coming at me... OC'in the P99 I had drawn just incase it was about to force me into my own cold cold pool... but it stopped....

What trouble would I have been in if I popped the little guy? My first thought was pop ot and call the police and let them know I discharged a round and why, but I dont know if that is just asking for a slap on the wrist......:dunno:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I would figure they would pull some sort of in town ordinace or discharging within residence. But then its just the same as someone robbing your house, your defending yourself/family yet discharging in town

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    'Possums are a nuissance animal and can be destroyed if they are harming livestock or destroying property. Not sure what the law would say about discharging a firearm in town. Probably depend on if you had a 'possum hatin' cop or not.

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    few minutes ago, I was letting my dogs outside... When they got out the door, it must have spooked a big possum that was tucked up the grille.... the dogs immediately charged it until it got under a lawn chair on my deck. The dogs sort of scattered away as I got down there, but just as I was pushing them off, the thing started hissing and coming at me... OC'in the P99 I had drawn just incase it was about to force me into my own cold cold pool... but it stopped....

What trouble would I have been in if I popped the little guy? My first thought was pop ot and call the police and let them know I discharged a round and why, but I dont know if that is just asking for a slap on the wrist......:dunno:

Great Question! I have the exact same problem only my culprits are raccoons. Not only am I afraid they will bite and infect my dogs but the damn things knock over the cans and scatter the garbage in the backyard. I dont have anywhere else to store the garbage cans.

The question is, if we shoot one of these critters will it solve anything? Would it prevent others from coming back? I could set up traps but honestly thats an inconvenience Im not interested in, Id rather just shoot em :ar15:

I live in Gary, so I'm worried about something like "discharge of a firearm within city limits". Chicago has that law, so I'm guessing most small to large cities would also.

Advice for OP and Me please. TIA!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I think it would have depended on who the responding officer was and the kind of mood he was in.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    not sure about discharging within city limits but i wouldn't let that stop me if it was coming at me. i would just set out a trap & when you catch it fill up a garbage can with water.. toss the trap/possum in

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    i actually returned outside with a bb gun and shot it in the face... it just turned around and looked even more pissed... a 9 hollow woulda made a mess I wouldnt wanna clean up

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    i actually returned outside with a bb gun and shot it in the face... it just turned around and looked even more pissed... a 9 hollow woulda made a mess I wouldnt wanna clean up

Time then for a flashlight, shovel, and garden hose. Flashlight in the eyes, shovel behind the ears, and a hose to wash up the blood left from decapitation.

P.S. I shot one last year that took 5 rounds of 5.56 and 4 9mm's to the body before giving it up!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    i had a crystal clear headshot down the spine... one hollow woulda did it

Yep, that probably would have. After the 5.56 rounds to the head, I remembered they really have no brain, and shots to vitals / spinal cord is the only way to really kill them. That and a 4x4 truck of course... :D

Darn things are almost like zombies!

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    I have never killed an animal.. I dont hunt, I sure as hell wouldnt tortue one...
    My guy

I'm curious if there would have been any legal ramifications. I know discharging a gun with that many houses around would be a sure way to have cops swarming the place in no time.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I live in Gary, so I'm worried about something like "discharge of a firearm within city limits". Chicago has that law, so I'm guessing most small to large cities would also.

I'm not trying to make any statements about the laws in your jurisdiction but I was surprised to find out that there is no law (that I could find) against discharging a firearm in the town of Auburn.

The law says that it is only illegal to discharge a weapon that causes the projectile to leave your property:

130.04 DISCHARGING DANGEROUS WEAPON
    No person shall discharge any cannon, gun, fowling piece, or firearm of any description, except on his premises so that no bullet or shot goes beyond the premises. No person shall fire or explode any squib, torpedo, rocket, firecracker, fireball, mine, or other explosive or combustible material within the limits of the city without license so to do. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to the Fourth of July, occasions of public rejoicing under competent and careful control, or assemblages of the state militia or federal troops in charge of regular officers. No gun, revolver, or pistol shall be discharged within the city on these days and under these provisions except to quell riots and disturbances and to maintain the public peace.

My point is, don't assume. Check it out.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I think it would have depended on who the responding officer was and the kind of mood he was in.

Don't bother calling the police, just take care of that dangerous animal :rolleyes: and be done with it. Shoot, shovel, shutup. Calling the law just invites your dog being shot and you having your own gun pointed at you.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Don't bother calling the police, just take care of that dangerous animal :rolleyes: and be done with it. Shoot, shovel, shutup. Calling the law just invites your dog being shot and you having your own gun pointed at you.

I would not have put any of that in purple.

Top Bottom