• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I think my reaction would have a lot to do with the behavior of the animal, if it mind's its own business, I watch, enjoy, and let it go. If it attacks me or another person or animal on my property, it needs to go.
    Same thing with obvious behavioral issues (foaming, twitching, jerky movements, etc., acting "not right" in general)

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I have about 3 quick responses that are too redneck, and would cast :ingo: in a bad light. However, in the interest of promoting the eradication of urban opossum I did a little research, and according to Opossum Management Guidelines--UC IPM

"Opossum carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossum are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments."
    What is your plan to stop prostitution? Shoot hookers cause the may have the clap?

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    "Excuse me, Mr Opossum, but would you mind horribly to give me a blood sample, so I can screen you for dangerous diseases before I exterminate you"

Yeah....I can see someone doing that, It just wouldn't be me!!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    If they show up say :dunno:..........:D

I had a problem with coons in the trash, now I just live trap them and drop them off at my freinds farm. I guess it gives me something to do.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    FWIW, here is the Indiana DNR's stance on the Virginia Opossum, which can be found under the Nuisance Wildlife section:

DNR: Virginia Opossum

Resident landowners and tenants can live-trap an opossum that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The opossum must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on property in which you have permission. Opossums taken by a resident landowner or tenant must be reported to a DNR conservation officer within 72 hours. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the opossums, if possible. Live-traps can be purchased from hardware stores and garden centers. If you do not want to trap the opossum yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

Also on the website, Opossum's may be trapped for their fur during a season which runs from Nov 15th 2010 through Jan 31st 2011.

DNR: Hunting & Trapping Seasons (2010 - 2011)

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Wouldn't have been a problem for me...I live in an unincorporated area. I imagine if your neighbors didn't complain, everything would be cool.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    neighbors already got it out for me.. my truck sounds like a F16 warming up in the morning, camaro, quads, etc...

Wait...you sure you don't live right next to me in Seymour? Guy has a nice hot rod firebird with Nitrous, cam, and straight pipes. Awesome care, but wakes my 3 year old up every morning at 5am....:xmad:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    yea im not that bad, few years ago before I had my license maybe I was out past 1 tuning the IROC or TA.... I growdid up a little... Now its just the Diesel and Camaro

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Man I like living in the boonies. Lots of stuff I just don't worry too much about even though I am in a subdivision. Keep it to a small caliber, or use my CB rounds when I need to.
    Once upon an opossum I thrust a 7.62x39 through it's cranium. It was immediately effective. Another time I Ka-Bar'd one pretty thoroughly and it crawled out of the dumpster a few hours later. They are tough, but not bullet proof.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Last year a man in Anderson had a dog come out of a house and come at him. He shot it in the street. Police were called and not a thing was done. Just checked to insure he had a Permit to carry! This was in the paper the next day with comments from the police and if I remember right the prosecutor.

Top Bottom