• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Straight rake works well too. Stab the little b@$@ard a few times then keep it at arms length til it dies. Did this last fall when I found one on the sidewalk. I left the rake implanted and the next morning the rake and dead possum was still there.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would have shot it. You have the right to defend your family, yourself and your home.
    I would think that covers man, animals, and zombies.

I get coyotes that come into my yard. I also live in town. Marshall here told me I have the right to defend my property from anything. So based on that, next time I see a coyote that's close to my house, I'm shooting it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    "Yes officer I heard a loud bang earlier too but thought it was a 747 tire falling on my neighbors house, nothing to see here, move along"!

Been there done that, got the t-shirt. My neighbor called when I popped his dog that was about to attack mine in my fenced back yard. I chucked the body over the fence, the owner came looking for his dog a few minutes later, found him doa and called the cops on me.

"Sir do you have any knowledge of somebody shooting a dog behind your house a few hours ago?"

"No"

"Thanks, have a good night"!

Background is there was history with this person/dog, nobody was sad to see it go and a few days later guys in jackets with DEA on their back were hauling off the former dog owner.

Only dog I've ever shot and I still feel bad about it, the dogs behavior was due to the bunghole that owned him!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Don't bother calling the police, just take care of that dangerous animal :rolleyes: and be done with it. Shoot, shovel, shutup. Calling the law just invites your dog being shot and you having your own gun pointed at you.
    I'll admit that my post sounds like cop bashing, but that wasn't my intention.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have had to shoot a few animals (pests/varmints) on my property that were either threatening my dog or destroying property. Never called the police and never have had the police come out (that actually never even occured to me as something that needed to be done)...

I don't really see what the big deal is? It is your property, and you weren't hunting you would be well within your rights.

Again, not sure what all the hubub is about bub?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would have shot it. You have the right to defend your family, yourself and your home.
    I would think that covers man, animals, and zombies.

I get coyotes that come into my yard. I also live in town. Marshall here told me I have the right to defend my property from anything. So based on that, next time I see a coyote that's close to my house, I'm shooting it.

It was a possum. Have there been any documented incidents of a normal non-rabid possum attacking a human? I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in shooting an animal just because it is on your property, even if it is considered a "nuisance" animal.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It was a possum. Have there been any documented incidents of a normal non-rabid possum attacking a human? I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in shooting an animal just because it is on your property, even if it is considered a "nuisance" animal.

True. I meant to say I wouldn't shoot just because it's on my property. But I think it would be different if the animal, any animal, attacked. I think the same way if it attacked the family pet.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    But I think it would be different if the animal, any animal, attacked. I think the same way if it attacked the family pet.

I'm in total agreement with you, if that is the circumstance. Shooting an animal just to shoot it I don't agree with. If I did I'd have a pair of doves, an owl, a hawk, 14 squirrels, stray cats, and a warren full of rabbits hanging from my walls.

I would love to see a coyote on my property but we don't get too many of those in downtown Beech Grove.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Nothing. It just being on my property wouldn't bother me. Like I said, it just being there isn't a reason to shoot it. If it is rabid or being agressive, then game on. I've seen coyotes several times on my district and they were all more interested in getting the hell out of dodge as soon as they saw me.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Well, if you live in St. John then I want to stress my original post again. I think everyone knows what I am referring to

I think it would have depended on who the responding officer was and the kind of mood he was in.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

I have about 3 quick responses that are too redneck, and would cast :ingo: in a bad light. However, in the interest of promoting the eradication of urban opossum I did a little research, and according to Opossum Management Guidelines--UC IPM

"Opossum carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossum are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments."

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I didn't read anywhere in the guide that they will attack humans. They are carriers of a bunch of different diseases, whoopty doo. There are a lot of humans out there that are too but we can't just go around shooting them because they are a nuisance animal.

Top Bottom