• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I was down in Lafayette with the family to do some shopping and went to HuHots for dinner. Evidently some customers said something to the manager and he called the police.

I was just about ready to get up and get another bowl when I see two LPD walk in, I kinda figured what they were there for and I was right. I got up and started walking to the buffet and here they come. The one officer said "Indiana is an open carry state, but it's not smart". I replied I disagree. He then said he was going to untuck my shirt and cover it up, I said no but not sure if he heard me or not. He went to reach for my shirt and I told him no again, he kinda blinked like he was surprised but stopped. He then said if I wouldn't cover it, the manager wanted me to leave. I didn't want to tick off my wife, so I told him if the manager was the one requesting, I would cover it up.

He then asked me to sit down at a empty table while his partner went to talk to the manager. And asked for my ID, I gave him my LTCH and he said I meant your Drivers license. I know I didn't have to give it too him, but I said the heck with it and did. He called it in and I came back clean. About this time his partner came back from talking to the manager and said okay he's fine with him staying as long as he covers it up. The officer told me thank you and to enjoy the rest of your dinner.

After we had finished eating I asked for the manager, and had a long talk with him about it. A very long polite but pissed :xmad: talk. I told him I was pissed about having the police called on me and if he wanted me to cover it up he should of just came up to the table and asked, that's when he told me the regional manager was in the restaurant earlier and told him to call. I let him know that I would be contacting corporate and he told me that corporate is the one that told him to call, I also told him that I would be posting about it on several firearm forums, including the one I had heard about the place on, and that it has over 14k members.

My wife gave him a piece of her mind too, letting him know that it was pretty obvious we were just a family out for dinner and not there to rob and shoot up the place. And that our 5 year old daughter who was sitting there would of gotten quite upset if she had noticed the two LEO walking up and talking to her Daddy.

After he left the table, he had to have ran to call the regional manager and came back out just as I was about to walk out the door. He said that there was a misunderstanding and that they didn't call the police. :rolleyes: And if I would the regional manager would like to speak with me. The RM apologized and said that they didn't call the police it must of been a customer, I told him what the manager said and he said he would get it straightened out and asked me to hand the phone back. They talked on the phone for a minute or two and then he hung up. He said he thought the RM had called because he told him about it and then walked away. But the RM and the district manager had talked and decided to not get involved. So I then reminded him what he said at the table, where he said he called and that he was told to, and then turned around and walked out the door.

Glad everything worked out ok for you & your family, I know it ruined your meal, but be glad you weren't in PHILLY:D

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I dont open carry much. Dont like the attention, or being hassled. I do highly respect all of you guys that OC dailey and try to make the public aware that it is perfectly legal.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    At least the police officers involved in this were polite and handled the situation fairly well. I mean, I don't know if I would've reached for the guys shirt to cover up his gun, but other than that it seems like they knew what your rights were, and were willing to work with you with a minimum of fuss. +1 to them for that.

That manager is just all jacked up, though....

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    In all honesty, don't you get tired of spouting the same useless drivel? Face it, people that have made the choice to OC are not going to be swayed by the same argument you insert in every OC thread.

Yes this is a religious argument - I see how OC'ers want to exercise their rights and "wake up" the sheep. On the other hand I see many disadvantages to OC'ing, some of you may or may not have read Sun Tsu's "The Art of War".

I simply prefer to have an element of surprise - ALSO I prefer to carry in peace. When I used to OC it just caused too many issues, got a supertuck and haven't had an issue since..

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So in all honesty would not it make more sense to carry the thing concealed and avoid all the other mess? It is a fact of life in our society that many people don't feel comfortable seeing someone openly carrying a firearm,especially in a family type place like you were at. Think about it man.:twocents:

71692013.jpg

Once you've determined that what I'm doing is legal, STFU and mind your own business. It's not the job of the police to stand around and lecture me about obeying the law, when I'm obeying the law. And store managers need to buck up and quit being such whining crybaby *******.

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    We're not at "war."

You might have been doing it wrong :dunno:

I was referring to the "element of surprise", if I happen to be at a place when the BG decides to rob; I don't want to be the first guy on the list because I have a visible piece.

Also, simply having a firearm on your side does stir up trouble with the sheep, plain and simple. They all get terrified at the simple sight of a weapon, my PERSONAL experiences led me to stay with CC.

I'm not bashing either side of the argument, simply bringing to light some points I see from this RELIGIOUS debate.

It's like VIM vs EMACS.

Trust me, I respect the rights of people to OC and I support their decision and commend them for having the balls to exercise their rights - for me it's not worth the hassle.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    OC or CC...nothing wrong with either one, but anyone who works with the public and thinks they don't have firearms around them every day is living in a dreamworld.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Have you conditioned her to somehow fear LE?

Right now, his kid is young, however, someday she will likely be in her late teens and be off at college. I know an officer who wanted to arrest two 19 year old college kids for underage drinking. One blew under a .01, yes, under a .01 on a PBT, the other was a little over .02. I talked him out of it.

Cops are their own worst enemy sometimes. Just because a law has technically been broken doesn't mean a person needs to be jailed and/or face criminal charges. In the above case, the two girls were just at a party filled with a bunch of 21+ folks. They weren't causing any problems, but the officer decided to investigate the party, possibly it was due to loud noise (per the officers opinion from what I recall, I don't think he got a call about it).

Given how "by the book" some cops are, I can understand some parents not wanting their kids to trust the police.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wow. At least Ill say this about the cops, judging from your story, they seemed to treat you somewhat okay, that is, didn't put you in cuffs and stir up a whole other issue. As to this place, I am not familiar with them but I can tell you one thing for sure, I will not be going there any time soon.
    :ingo::starwars:

They treated him okay if you consider bothering you during a family outing and put you through an illegal search and seizure by going through your personal information with NO PROBABLE CAUSE. Nothing illegal was done here other than by the police. They are the ones in this scenario who should have known the law and gave the manager the opportunity to ask him to cover his weapon or leave and that is all. It is sad that people are also conditioned by terrible encounters so that when an encounter that is just as illegal just put nicer seems to be ok. B.S. :xmad::xmad::xmad::twocents:

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    So in all honesty would not it make more sense to carry the thing concealed and avoid all the other mess? It is a fact of life in our society that many people don't feel comfortable seeing someone openly carrying a firearm,especially in a family type place like you were at. Think about it man.:twocents:
    Was there a law broken by a man walking into a place to eat with his family with a legal firearm? Hide it so that people are ok with it???? Are you serious?????

Top Bottom