• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Gun safes act like a beacon to a robber/burglar. It cries out "lots of money in here" people are also likely to keep large sums of money in them.

if I were to advocate for anything it would be built in locking cabinets, false walls, things of that nature; also would be a great idea to have your own cctv system in place. And yes your typical safe is only sheet metal outside with drywall and upholstery inside.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm by no means a forensic expert, but I do have a lot of experience with sheet metal fabrication. It very much looks like some one pried the side out with a broad bladed pry bar. Perhaps something like this:

Roughneck Mutt Pro Steel Blade with D-Handle 8 x 4" | Edging Knives & Mutts | Screwfix.com

I would think if this was a 'fell off a truck' issue, there would be more scuffs and scratches like those on the bottom.

Yes, it had definitely been pried open. At least enough to get something in it to rip the side off. Seeing how thin they are, it doesn't seem like it'd take more than a few minutes with an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel and you'd have access.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Gun safes act like a beacon to a robber/burglar. It cries out "lots of money in here" people are also likely to keep large sums of money in them.

if I were to advocate for anything it would be built in locking cabinets, false walls, things of that nature; also would be a great idea to have your own cctv system in place. And yes your typical safe is only sheet metal outside with drywall and upholstery inside.

All good points to consider. At a minimum, if you have a safe.....BOLT it down. At least make them work on it in your home under pressure.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Before my son left on his trip when he was still living in Indy, he found this on his lawn one morning....just the door.

safe door.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My Liberty isn't bolted down, but it weighs in at near 500LBS empty, and it's chock full of guns and cases of ammo, it ain't going nowhere without serious help any time soon!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My Liberty isn't bolted down, but it weighs in at near 500LBS empty, and it's chock full of guns and cases of ammo, it ain't going nowhere without serious help any time soon!

A buddy of mine had to get 5 guys to get his in similar situation. While I'd always advocate bolting it down, we tried to move his with no luck. However people who don't care about tearing your house up, it's no telling what they could do!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Definitely was not bolted to the floor.
    His first mistake.

DUDE! Spend the $5 for a handful of lag bolts and get it locked down. If someone is REALLY motivated, they WILL carry that safe away and open it at their leisure. You need to make sure if they want to get in, they get in where it sits, or take part of your house (studs, concrete, etc) with it. Bonus if you can stash the safe in a space where they have no leverage. (enough room to get the door open, but walls in the way so they cant maneuver a lever to pry their way in.)

Thinking back to another thread here, even better if you can hide it. Security through obscurity. If they can break into your house and walk right past it without finding it; WINNING!

South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    Totally agree, never thought it was a good idea to put all your valuable stuff in one spot. Plus maybe you should hide a gun under the dryer, you never know when you might need to operate while you're drying the undies.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    His first mistake.

DUDE! Spend the $5 for a handful of lag bolts and get it locked down. If someone is REALLY motivated, they WILL carry that safe away and open it at their leisure. You need to make sure if they want to get in, they get in where it sits, or take part of your house (studs, concrete, etc) with it. Bonus if you can stash the safe in a space where they have no leverage. (enough room to get the door open, but walls in the way so they cant maneuver a lever to pry their way in.)

Thinking back to another thread here, even better if you can hide it. Security through obscurity. If they can break into your house and walk right past it without finding it; WINNING!
    Given enough time and tooling, a determined thief is going to get into even a real "Safe", everything we are talking about here are Residential Security Cabinets. So I'm not real worried about not bolting mine down. With the different levels of security in place in my home, it would be damned near impossible for the local thuggery to gain access, and have enough time to get much farther before a response was waiting on them to exit. It is also in a very hard to remove from space in the home.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My Ft. Knox has lived through two burglaries. (I left it with a buddy while I was overseas, his house was broken into twice in the two years I was gone. Most likely due to bar skanks he was bringing home being burglary scouts.)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Totally agree, never thought it was a good idea to put all your valuable stuff in one spot. Plus maybe you should hide a gun under the dryer, you never know when you might need to operate while you're drying the undies.
    Toilet tank gun might be more handy given the amount of time spent at the throne vs the washer/dryer

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    a guy here in southern Indiana a few years ago had someone break in and put a chain around his safe and pulled it out through the front of his house with their truck. Did a bunch of damage to his house. So if they are determined they will take it no matter what.

Top Bottom