• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Indiana

not a complete list, but a good start. I've been to the mill in Mansfield and seen the ghosts on the covered bridge. The ghost of the Reelsville trestle is named Mary. She's dressed in white and is barefoot.You can still climb thru the trestle, but I don't suggest doing it at night as the tunnel is slippery and it's a long fall to the ground. You have to enter and exit the tunnel on the west end. The Old Mill Dam at Terre Haute (on Sandcut road north of town) is creepy during the day, but at night you'll see strange lights and hear moaning. Just north of Carbon, behind the old Peabody coal station and overlooking the strip mine is Crazy Mary's grave. The rumors are that she used to dabble in witchcraft which is why the grave sits by itself in the woods. If you stay really quiet, you can hear a woman softly crying that slowly changes into insane laughter.

Last edited:

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    Though this isnt indiana... this is just some of west point's ghost stories...
    Ghosts of West Point, USMA: The Military Academy, Like Some Military Establishments, Is Haunted | Suite101.com
    we have so many stories about pershing barracks... making an extremely tight bed in the basement, but still see an outline and indentation of someone laying on it. on the roof, there is an isolated room that has a glowing light coming from it... but when you get there, there is no light source. a different barracks there is one room, now completely sealed off, back in the 60s (around that time) anyone who slept in that room could not breath during sleep and would wake up to what felt like someone choking the person.

This place is kinda creepy... it seems like every barracks here has some story.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Haunted Village in the Spring Mill Park village this Saturday night. It's a hoot, bring the kids, leave the guns at home I don't want you shooting any of my friends when they scare the water out of you and you cry like a little girl in front of your friends and family.

I drove past that place in Mitchell yesterday just to have a look and it didn't look like anything special to me other than the mortuary across the street.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Jack there is some spooky stuff in Mitchell. I went to High School there and this time of year a teacher would break down all the Lawrence Co. stuff.

I've never been to the manor though.

The Haunted village is fun, like I did post earlier though, several DNR died in the late 80's or early 90's while on duty in front of the same cabin in the village, and both around the same time of night. They would go down there and lock the cabins up at night and a gaurd saw an old woman looking at him through the window, and radioed it in. They found him dead a little later in front of that cabin. Something similar happened to his replacement not two weeks later.

I worked at the Inn in high school, and for the DNR as a twin caves tour guide in college.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    That was our favorite late night crusing in high school!:rockwoot:more or less between Martinsville, Morgantown, Trafalgar Bargarsville and Waverly

Funny how far and wide I get around in 54 years ain't it? LOL. I can't even remember all the places I been. ROTFL.

I lived in Bargersville about 7-8 years. Know all about Raglafart. Pronounced Ragalfart.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Been to the wooden trestle where the local souther sympathisers, copperheads, got wind of a union troop transport train coming through. They went out and cut most of the way through the wooden timbers and when the train started across it collapsed killing and mutilating people every were with many of the union soldiers dieing speared on their own bayonets as the cars piled up in the bottom of the ravine. They say the creek bottom ran red with the blood of blue bellies for a week and now late at night you can hear the crying of the crippled and dieing along with pleas for help and sometimes see a faint lantern wandering in the valley below the trestle who is suppose to a corporal who was decapitated and is searching for his head. His brother died days later in a local hospital and if you get close you can feel breath and the smell the stink of the dead as he wispers his brother's name and ask if you are him.

1861 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

huron_ind_train_wreck_9-17-1861.jpg

Official public reports from news papers of the time.

ANOTHER RAILROAD MASSACRE !!
    OVER ONE HUNDRED TROOPS KILLED AND WOUNDED !!
    CINCINNATI, September 18. -- Last night, about half past eight o'clock, a train on the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad, containing a portion of Colonel TORCHIN'S Nineteenth Illinois Regiment, while passing over a bridge, near Huron, Indiana, one hundred and forty-three miles west of Cincinnati, fell through, killing and wounding over one hundred soldiers. The news reached here late last night, when a special train was despatched[sic] to the asistance of the survivors.
    The following despatch[sic] has been received from the operator at Hudson, dated ten minutes after one o'clock this morning: "The bridge No. 48 was broken in two. It let four cars down into the bed of the creek, and one fell on the top of them. The engine and one car passed over safely. There are about one hundred wounded and ten or fifteen killed. The colonel of the regiment says there are about that number killed, although nearly all of one company are missing." It is thought the bridge was weakened by some malicious persons.
    CINCINNATI, Sept. 18. -- The disaster on the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad proves worse than at first reported. Four passenger cars were precipitated into the creek, and one box and one baggage-car fell on top of them. These cars contained companies E, F, G, and I, and the latter two companies are the principal sufferers. Captain HOWARD, of Company I, is among the killed. Up to 11 o'clock this morning about thirty killed have been taken out and more are supposed to be beneath the wreck. A train is on the way here with ninety-two wounded. The impression at the scene is that there have been from forty to fifty killed. There seems to be but little doubt, that the bridge had been tampered with by malicious or traitorous persons. The bridge was sixty feet span and ten feet high, and was only recently inspected.

Before daylight eighteen bodies were recovered in addition to rescuing all the living. Lieutenant WHOTTEN was caught by both legs between two platforms, and it required three fourths of an hour to chop and saw him out, every blow of the axe causing intense agony. A colored servant caught in a similar, though less painful situation, was two hours undergoing the operation of rescue.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Each year on the night of the first full moon after the aniversery of this balloon accident, if you are standing next to the spot where this man died at midnight you can hear his scream and the body hit the ground, there will be an 8 inch depression in the ground just like the day he died. The city sends someone out there each year to fill it in and cover it with grass seed to keep it from becoming a public spectacle. They say some kids were out there drinking and joking around trying to disprove the rumour and one of them happened to be on the exact spot when they all heard the scream and looked up. When they heard the body hit the ground a girl was laying dead in the depression with a broken neck.

Paoli, IN Balloon Hot Air Accident, Oct 1871 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

<H1 class=title>Paoli, IN Balloon Hot Air Accident, Oct 1871
    Posted October 7th, 2007 by Linda Horton FALLING A MILE FROM A BALLOON.
    Just as Prof Wilbur and George Knapp [ineligible]htors of the Orange county (Ind.) Union were preparing to get into a balloon at Paoli, Ind,. on Saturday week, the cords gave way, and the balloon shot up with the two gentlemen hanging to the ropes Mr. Knapp let go and fell at a height of 31 feet, and was not seriously injured but Prof. Wilbur held on until the balloon gained a height of about one mile, when he lost his hold and came down head first in full sight of the horror stricken spectators His head was mashed into an indistinguishable mass, and his body was bruised and crushed horribly The body made a hole in the ground eight inches deep, and it rebounded four feet from where it struck.
    Hornellsville Tribune, Hornellsville, NY Oct 13 1871
    </H1>

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Don't go pee'n on the campfire yet, there's 20 more days and nights until Halloween.

Death and disease, insanity murder and deadly schemes against and by all manner of humanity from young to old, treasure, gold and wealth all stirred in to fuel the greed and depravity of the lowest denominator of the human soal.

This is a cold, windy, and endlessly desolate place where even the rocks seem depress and with out hope. You wouldn't want to be in this area after sun down if you are of a weak or even mild constitution. People who may easily fall under the influence of the new or strange have been known to commit unmentionable acts and require physical constraint.

Some say it was witchcraft what brought death to this town, others say voodoo. There is no denieing the opportunity was there for any thing evil to take hold as the town had a product in demand and shipped around the world. Even in a time they were the only settlement in Indiana they were known across the country.

l8 Indiana Mayarjine of History

at Scottsburg was let on March 6, 1873, for $13,500 and the court-
    house was ready for occupancy in the latter part of February, 1874.^^
    Martin county holds the record for the greatest number of county
    seat changes.^'^ It seems that the citizens of the county were hard
    to satisf}-. \'hen they failed to change the location of a county seat,
    they did the next best thing, and changed the name of the town
    where the county seat was located. No less than three times was the
    name of the county seat changed. The first town to have the honor
    was Hindostan, and here the contract for a $4,185 courthouse was
    let to Benjamin Adams on June 5, 1820. This building was not yet
    completed when the county seat was changed. Dissatisfaction with
    Hindostan led to the legislative act of January 24. 1828. which
    authorized five commissioners, named in the act, to meet at Hindo-
    stan, March 14, 1828, to select a new county seat.'^^ They met at
    the appointed time and, after due deliberation and consideration,
    chose Mount Pleasant. This town was about two miles north of
    Hindostan on the west side of the East Fork of ^^'hite river. On
    July 7, 1828, it was ordered that the county clerk and treasurer re-
    move their offices to Mount Pleasant immediately. The board of
    commissioners met for the first time at the new seat of justice on
    September 1, 1828. But Mount Pleasant was too far from the cen-
    ter of the county to give general satisfaction, especially, since the
    county gained rapidly in population in the next fifteen years. The
    friends of relocation had sufficient influence by 1844 to get the Legis-
    lature on January 13 of that year to pass an act providing for
    relocation. The locating commissioners were ordered to. meet at
    Dougherty's Shoals on the first Monday of March, 1844. They were
    restricted by the Legislature from selecting any site more than three
    and one-half miles from the center of the county.-*" On March 8,
    they reported to the Martin county board of commissioners that they
    had located the new seat of justice at Halberts Blufifs, and that land
    had been donated there for the county seat by Qement Horsey. This
    third county seat was located at the present site of Shoals on the west
    side of the river. The site was at once platted by Ma.son J. Sherman
    and the plat was recorded May 29, 1844 under the name of Memphis.
    For some reason, which has not been ascertained, there was so much

About as good as any for the "official" record.
    INDOlink - Indian Diaspora (NRI) News: Hindostan, Indiana: Uncovering A Slice of American History

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Welcome to the castle keep, the "dentist" will see you now. No screaming please.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Small children are easier to hold down.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I wish I had good pictures of it from 40-50 years ago when it was in a lot better shape and still covered with all the teeth.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might want to visit Skiles Test old place. It is said to be haunted. My new home abuts his old property to the North.

Take I-465 N on the Eastside of Indy and take the 56th Shadeland Ave. exit. Turn right onto Fall Creek at the bottom of the hill. Turn left and go under the overpass and its there on the right. It's now a Nature Preserve with paved trails to walk through the place.

Here is a link to read up on the Place: MEMORIES OF SKILES TEST AND THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHTS

Last edited:

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Funny how far and wide I get around in 54 years ain't it? LOL. I can't even remember all the places I been. ROTFL.

I lived in Bargersville about 7-8 years. Know all about Raglafart. Pronounced Ragalfart.

I work in Bville ptime, and live in Raglafart(aka Injun Ditch). Small world.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Back in the 1980's while a EMT / paramedic at Wishard ambulance, I used to go on runs to Central State with patients there. Several times I was there, the most impressive run was a guy who took a header off the second floor of the stairwell, pretty nasty, had to go home and change clothes after the run nasty due to all the blood. back then if you didn't get blood all over you, you didn't do your job.

A few years later, while working for State Emergency Management, they used the then closed Central State as a long term storage facility, walking in there, with noone around, let me tell you it was creepy, if those walls could talk.

One of the more creepy runs I ever went on was on the east side some years later, in a little neighborhood just southeast of Naval Avionics (21st and Arlington), we got the run as an unconscious person, the police were hanging out in the crew room so we had a little parade over there, us the medics, our emt's, and two police officers. We roll up on this house with all the lights on but curtains drawn, we all cherge right up and the door is ajar, the cops go in first, but were right there with them. we get inside this house, the whole interior is covered with blood, I mean everything, in the kitchen there is a big meat cleaver buried in the counter, on the floor of the bathroom lies a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum, just the gun. then in the farthest room ther's a mid-20's male, propped up against the wall, one shot mid-sternum, probably from that .44, obviously dead, with some kind of wierd writing across his forehead.

Nobody said a word, or touched anything, we all slowly yet swiftly back the heck out of there, even the cops, who immediately called for assistance.

never heard what happened for sure, rumors of devil worshipers, or a bad dope deal, but those were creepy times.

Right on the east side of indy!

Those kind of stories creep me out the most. Please share other creepy incidents.

Top Bottom